Easiest 2nd Octave Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
outdoorwhistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: your forum is about celtic and irish music, irish flutes, whistles, etc .
I am here because I too am a huge fan of celtic music.

Easiest 2nd Octave Whistle

Post by outdoorwhistler »

Dear members, I was looking for a relevant topic but I could not find any so if my point has been previously discussed please copy the link here.

Can you please share your experience on easiest whistles to reach the second octave with the least amount of air pressure? (mostly high D but if you know other keys please share your experience)

I have had a larynx surgery so that I can only play tunes that are mostly on the first octave.

Best,
Flotineer
Tell us something.: New fluter. Recovering piper... What with one thing and another I’m learning the flute, but I’ve been learning Irish music for a while now.

Re: Easiest 2nd Octave Whistle

Post by Flotineer »

My experience says Mack Hoover. So soft that i really have to hold back on it wind up exhaling a bunch of stale air when I take a breath.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

I must second this. Mack´s yer man. Just tell him what you want and WHY you want it that way.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I've not played a Hoover.

The easiest 2nd octave on a High D that I've played is my c1980 MK1 Feadog. It's incredibly light and sweet, yet retains some character, some patina.

About new High D whistles, the two I've played which came closest (very close indeed) are a Sindt and my earlier-model Killarney.

A couple years later I bought a second Killarney High D which has a rather stiffer 2nd octave.

The caveat to the above is that I've only considered whistles which also have a solid low octave.

Of course it's not difficult to make a whistle with a super-sweet 2nd octave and a feeble low octave, but I'm not interested in playing those.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The (Timothy) Potter is probably well suited for your situation, if you can find one (they seem to have been out of stock for a bit). No harm in contacting him anyway.
My brain hurts

Alaskamike
Tell us something.: I just bought a Clarke Sweetone and I’m interested in learning how to play it. My goal is to be able to play the whistle without my family complaining too much.

Post by Alaskamike »

My Mack Hoover whistle is the easiest 2nd octave whistle in my small collection.

My Timothy Potter is also up there. Dixons are also pretty good, and much easier to get.

More thoughts:
The more I think about it, most of my whistles can hit the 2nd octave easily enough. It just took time learning how to play and control my airflow. The only one that I find to be difficult is a large bore PVC whistle that I haven't played in a couple of years (although it may have gotten easier too...).

For me the real question is how far up the second octave I can go - d, e and f are usually no issue, it's hitting g and higher that is hard for me. Again, the Mack Hoover stands out as the easiest whistle I have to play.
Last edited by Alaskamike on Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
DeTerminator
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by DeTerminator »

Don't know if they are the absolute easiest D whistle to reach and play the second octave, but of my own whistles that I find that do that easier than the rest, and also are easily available, are my recent production Kilarney D, Freeman Blackbird, and O Briain Improved Tin Whistle. I don't know the degree of ease that the OP wants to achieve a very easy 2nd octave, but the above whistles stand out of my own whistles for that purpose. Especially the Kilarney, for a super sweet tone.
outdoorwhistler
Tell us something.: your forum is about celtic and irish music, irish flutes, whistles, etc .

Thanks for sharing your experiences.
outdoorwhistler

If you wish I would be delighted to know your same exoerience but for low whistles.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

I generally avoid easy overblowing whistles, but the Reyburn Aluminum low G is probobly what you are going for. Small bore, easy second octave, cant take a lot of push in the first octave.

I've seen people who dont like harder overblowing whistles like the Howard low D. Hopefully a Howard player can confirm this.

Goldie low D softblower has an easier second octave than the MK low D. IDK if it counts as easy over blowing or if its in the lower middle. The low end can take a similar push, but the second octave is easier to hit. With Mk being right in the middle of not too hard but can still take some push with a solid low end. My Reyburn low D takes noticeably more push than the MK so I dub that 'harder overblowing' than most. Which you definitely wouldn't want, I'm just saying what I'm comparing my others to.
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

Of the whistles I’ve played, the very small bore Susato Kildare is far and away the easiest second and third octave whistle I’ve played. Not even remotely shrill in upper end of range.

Crystal clear tone. Tunable. Great intonation.
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.
einsamkristall
Tell us something.: Washington state based music enthusiast. I play many different instruments but primarily focus on tenor banjo, uilleann pipes, whistles and bodhran. I mostly play Irish traditional but also dabble in Scottish/Shetland, Breton and Galician a bit.

Post by einsamkristall »

I'd agree with a few of the posters above about Killarney's. I've got 2 high D's, a C and a Bb and all three of them have been very smooth and easy to play 2nd octaves, the D's even up to 3rd high D without much effort. I've got a couple of Parks whistles as well that I've had no issue consistently playing up to the high B without a lot of pressure as well. Would definitely recommend both makers
pd123
Tell us something.: Hi, I'm just trying to relearn how to play my tin whistle. I stopped playing a bunch of years ago....

Post by pd123 »

I'm going to have to second the Jerry Freeman Blackbird. I find that it really doesn't require you to push a lot of air through it. It has a very pure tone and is pretty nimble. I have to admit that I haven't ever played a Killarney so I can't comment on it in comparison. Maybe someone that has both can say?