Best high D whistle under 100€ ?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Kqpout
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi
I'm a multi instrumentalist from France and I play a lot a folk music, and some ITM
I'm looking for information on ITM and instruments, and to buy a new set of whistles

Best high D whistle under 100€ ?

Post by Kqpout »

Hi
What is, for you, the best whistle out here for under 100$/100€/100£ ?

I need a nice, reliable, durable and tunable whistle, but it's not my main instrument so I can't justify spending more. I do want an instrument that I'll keep for years.

At the moment, I've reduced the list to the McNeela Wild and the Killarney. The Killarney appears to be better built, more durable, but a lot of people seem to like the wild. What do you think? I also heard good things about some Dixon (dx005) and Susato (Oriole) whistles.

I'm in France, so I prefer to buy from the continental Europe or Ireland if possible.

Thanks
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Best high D whistle under 100€ ?

Post by fatmac »

Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Alaskamike
Tell us something.: I just bought a Clarke Sweetone and I’m interested in learning how to play it. My goal is to be able to play the whistle without my family complaining too much.

Post by Alaskamike »

Kqpout wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:28 pm What is, for you, the best whistle out here for under 100$/100€/100£ ?
A lot depends on your needs. For me, one of the main requirements is for it to be quiet. In my experience, Dixons are quieter than the Wild whistles. If you want a louder whistle, the Wild/Killarney whistle may be a better choice.

Mike
Kqpout
I'm a multi instrumentalist from France and I play a lot a folk music, and some ITM
I'm looking for information on ITM and instruments, and to buy a new set of whistles

Post by Kqpout »

Alaskamike wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:24 am
Kqpout wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 3:28 pm What is, for you, the best whistle out here for under 100$/100€/100£ ?
A lot depends on your needs. For me, one of the main requirements is for it to be quiet. In my experience, Dixons are quieter than the Wild whistles. If you want a louder whistle, the Wild/Killarney whistle may be a better choice.

Mike
Thanks
I don't need an overly loud whistle, my Clarke sweetone is enough, volume-wise. I don't play in session, I play mostly with acoustic instruments, and mainly slow airs/tunes.

And thanks fatmac, I'll look into it
Last edited by Kqpout on Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

There are many excellent whistles in that price range, and you'll need to decide what whistle tone and playability you prefer.
The Killarney is an obvious keeper of a commonly appealing tonal character, with a unique evenness of tone in the upper octave
that SOLVES major whistle problems of > the high octave getting shrill and loud, notes breaking down/unevenly chiffy, and high air requirements.
No wonder it's a major success.

Here is a good range of tonal characteristics:
I've either played or seen impressive videos of these other whistles that would also suit your requirements:
Tony Dixon DX006 (have it, see YouTube reviews), Tony Dixon DX005 (see CutiePie's review),
Chieftain Cobre (very precise, clear tone), Chieftain Busker (gutsy performer!),
Alba Vibe, Chris Wall, Shearwater (full tone, wonderful expressive possibilities), Goldfinch (kind of unique, very appealing tone),
Hermit Hill non-tunable delrin (tunable, add a little more $).

That should give you an instrument to use for 500 years, in terms of quality tone throughout the 2.5 octaves, great playability, expressiveness, durability.
Kqpout

Post by Kqpout »

RoberTunes wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:54 am There are many excellent whistles in that price range, and you'll need to decide what whistle tone and playability you prefer.
The Killarney is an obvious keeper of a commonly appealing tonal character, with a unique evenness of tone in the upper octave
that SOLVES major whistle problems of > the high octave getting shrill and loud, notes breaking down/unevenly chiffy, and high air requirements.
No wonder it's a major success.

Here is a good range of tonal characteristics:
I've either played or seen impressive videos of these other whistles that would also suit your requirements:
Tony Dixon DX006 (have it, see YouTube reviews), Tony Dixon DX005 (see CutiePie's review),
Chieftain Cobre (very precise, clear tone), Chieftain Busker (gutsy performer!),
Alba Vibe, Chris Wall, Shearwater (full tone, wonderful expressive possibilities), Goldfinch (kind of unique, very appealing tone),
Hermit Hill non-tunable delrin (tunable, add a little more $).

That should give you an instrument to use for 500 years, in terms of quality tone throughout the 2.5 octaves, great playability, expressiveness, durability.
Thanks for the detailed answer!

If you have played both, do you have a preference between the Killarney and the Dixon DX006?
I'm just looking for an easy to play, reliable instrument with a classic whistle sound.

I already got some Chieftain/Kerrywhistles instruments (optima Low D, busker mezzo G) but I don't think I want an instrument like this (big bore, low whistle-like) for my high D.
Jerry Freeman

Post by Jerry Freeman »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k51HY3-ipKk

"TRYING A TWEAKED WHISTLE | THE MELLOW DOG HIGH D JERRY FREEMAN PENNYWHISTLE REVIEW"
You can purchase my whistles on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/freemanwhistle ... pg=&_from=

or directly from me:

email jerry ("at") freemanwhistles ("dot") com or send a PM.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

With the caveat that I've not tried a wild whistle, my favourite currently-made High D is the Killarney.

The voicing is better than any other current maker I've tried, including whistles costing several times more.

For me the Killarney is more than the best High D whistle under 100€ it's the best High D whistle at any price.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

Kqpout wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:04 pm Thanks for the detailed answer!
If you have played both, do you have a preference between the Killarney and the Dixon DX006?
I'm just looking for an easy to play, reliable instrument with a classic whistle sound.
I already got some Chieftain/Kerrywhistles instruments (optima Low D, busker mezzo G) but I don't think I want an instrument like this (big bore, low whistle-like) for my high D.
I haven't played a Killarney but checked it out a great deal just before buying the Tony Dixon DX006, based on my preference for tone. I wanted something
a more full-toned and expressive than the classic tin whistle sound, and the DX006 is a little richer in tone, but only a minor degree. Like many who start off
with the world of whistles, I'd already played Generation, Waltons
and a few other low-cost whistles and just wanted to get away from that, it was so frustrating. Ironically, the chiffy and rather thin tone of a Walton's Guinness/Little Black whistle I used
on a recording because for that tune, it had a raspy tone that worked great with the riffs I was using, but in no way was it an all-purpose whistle.
If your clear preference in tone is for the classic sound, I think the Killarney would be the best choice between the two, but it's a small difference.
I also find the Chieftain Cobre has an amazingly clear tone, but a little different, and far better, than the classic tone, if you ask me. If I was chasing
down the best improvement of the classic tone, I'd be tossing it over between the Killarney and short list of others, such as the Cobre, and then depending
on budget, there are of course about 8 more models at higher prices that are premium quality improvements on the age-old ideas. Burke, Goldie,
Reyburn, Milligan, McManus, Alba, MK, Anak, Howard, Humphrey.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I've played both the Killarney (which I own) and my friend's Wild. The Wild is nice, but I prefer the tone of the Killarney. Apart from those whistles, I've owned or played nearly every maker's whistle, but it was the Killarney that stopped my whistle acquisition syndrome (apart from whistles in different keys). One caveat, though, is my favorite whistle is much above your price range...an O'Brien Rover. Still, in your price range...the Killarney is great.

Eric
JTU
Tell us something.: I have been playing the tin whistle for a year. I have never played a musical instrument before the tin whistle.

Post by JTU »

Don’t overlook the Syn high D. Well under your 100€ benchmark and in my humble opinion the equal of the Killarney and the Mellow Dog. The bonus with the the Syn and the Mellow Dog is you can add a C tone body and still be well below your financial benchmark. As a below average player I suggest that both those whistles are magic in C.
Cheers
Average Whistler
Tell us something.: Recovering Whistle Obsessive Acquisition Disorder sufferer. Started too late in life to be great, but good enough for my own enjoyment. Recently started learning Irish flute.

Post by Average Whistler »

Killarney most definitely. I owned both the Killarney and Wild whistles (note the past tense). I kept the Killarney. Excellent tone, in tune through two octaves and a delight to play. The Killarney, Wild and Syn all use a similar three-piece head design. The Wild is very top heavy and the tolerances of the head components are not as precise as the Killarney... in other words the pieces don't fit together as well. If you buy the Killarney, but it direct from their website.

- AW
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

I'm primarily a low / alto whistle player, but I have a Brass Reyburn D/C set that provides for all my high D and C needs. The D is very loud. Which may be good if you play live acoustically. The C is more tolerable volume wise for playing in my room. both have strong low ends, for high whistles. The design inside the mouthpiece gives them a similar tuning curve to Mk/Goldie/Burke/Albas/some others. Which generally has a less flat upper second octave, which I find just helps to play in tune through both octaves easier. I like it more so all my whistles play that way.
JackL
Tell us something.: I have been involved with music starting with piano in 1st grade, switched to organ in 6th grade and minored in music (organ) in college. I have become interested in tin whistle and already have a case of whistle acquisition disease.

Post by JackL »

I would add my vote for the Killarney. It is my go-to whistle. In addition to positive comments from others, I find it has less issues with moisture than some of my other whistles. It is also very light weight. I have osteoarthritis and have some brass whistles that become fatiguing to hold after a while.
daveboling

Post by daveboling »

I played the Killarney for a good while, but I now prefer a Potter.
dave boling
I teleported home one night
With Ron and Sid and Meg.
Ron stole Meggie's heart away
And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.