Low D Kerry Busker and Metcalf Skellig

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BKWeid
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Low D Kerry Busker and Metcalf Skellig

Post by BKWeid »

Has anyone had experience with either of these low Ds? How do they play?
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Re: Low D Kerry Busker and Metcalf Skellig

Post by Narzog »

I actually looked into the skellig a while ago but also couldnt find anything. So am curious aswell. The issue is I can only find things on YouTube which can sound much different than it sounds in person. It sounds much better in his burke comparison video than in the other that he compares it to his other low D, where it just sounds really plain. In the burke one it seems much quieter than the burke, and seems to have a big volume difference between high and low notes. I actually picked up a Metcalf low C a while ago that I saw on ebay and thought it overblew insanely easily, having a really quiet low end and really loud high end. Was not a big fan. He could have changed things by now though. I'm not sure if his other whistles play this way or not. His craftsmanship seemed top notch though and his pricing is quite good so I dont like to mention this issue, I dont want to make him look bad.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Re: Low D Kerry Busker and Metcalf Skellig

Post by stiofan »

I haven't played either, but apparently Seamus Egan was quite impressed with the Skellig he recently got from Nick Metcalf.
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/uIffV-eHF1M