Styles of Playing

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Styles of Playing

Post by Mr.Gumby »

If “regional styles” existed , it should be possible to assign the player to the place of origin.
In all fairness, not all areas are associated with a strong local style and most areas that are, aren't represented in that selection.

I believe that, broadly speaking, there were/are some recognisable regional styles but it's not always a straightforward thing. Players from some areas do tend to share aesthetic and stylistic traits but it doesn't automatically follow each player from an area will play a certain way.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I posted this on that other discussion as well.

Back many years ago it struck me that there was a style, I suppose it could be called the Mary Bergin school, that I heard among people who played High Whistle as their primary (or sole) instrument, but there was a quite different style heard among people whose main instrument was the Uilleann pipes.

This was a highly ornamented style characterised by frequent use of "double cut rolls" and other whistle ornaments. I suppose these pipers, whose piping was rich with Uilleann pipe ornaments, wanted a more ornamented sound on whistle and achieved it through use of whatever techniques worked well on whistle.

Obviously being in California in the pre-internet age meant that the people I was hearing was limited, but let's take two, Paddy Moloney and Finbar Furey.

I would think this is Paddy Moloney playing, notice the double-cut rolls on A. There are other tunes where he’s doing those on various other notes.

Obviously he could do those on the pipes, but when he’s playing pipes he would do staccato triplets etc rather than the legato double-cut rolls, which his whistle playing was full of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha__hmigsnk

About Finbar Furey, here at 4:12 hear him play double-cut rolls on almost every note. Once again, he’s obviously capable of playing a tune on the pipes in that way, but on the pipes he usually does pipe ornaments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiUE4oAoReA&t=34s

So it seems to me that whistle style can also be influenced by what your primary instrument is.

BTW those "double cut rolls" happen to be a standard technique in Highland piping, especially connected with Hornpipe playing. I've even heard them called "hornpipe triplets" and throwing them into, say, jigs might be viewed as a bit gimmicky.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I was out last night and heard some lovely music. I sometimes pull out the phone and make a few quick recordings when that happens. Here's one that does not follow modern teaching but has deep roots. Gorgeous stuff.

Comments anyone?

Slieve Gallen Brae/Caisleann an Oir / St Bridget's Day

I'll leave the file up for a day or two.
My brain hurts

Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

Lovely playing, thanks for sharing, Peter.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

That's wonderful, the dance tunes have such life to them!
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle