Low Impact Low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mikethebook
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Low Impact Low D

Post by Mikethebook »

About five years ago with great reluctance I gave up playing the low whistle due to costochondritis, damage to the connecting tissues between the ribs and sternum. I miss it so much and have decided to try again . . . very gently to begin with. I still own my beloved medium blowing Goldie Low D but no way am I going to try playing that yet and so a quiet high D is currently on its way to me from Mack Hoover. I'm hoping that will get me playing again with minimal impact on my chest tissues. But I know I will soon be yearning for a Low D whistle and I'm wondering if there is such an instrument out there that would have minimal impact too, ideally moderate back pressure and low air requirements. Yes, I know they tend to work against one another but if you throw into the mix a narrower bore and a quieter volume (I don't need anyone else to hear me) then maybe it is possible and someone makes one. Any ideas please, a Low D with minimal air requirements AND backpressure?

It may be that I need to set my sights lower (actually higher:)) and go for something like Mack's Low G (he doesn't make anything lower these days) but I would like to check out Low D possibilities before I go down that road.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Low Impact Low D

Post by BigDavy »

Hi Mike

How about the Dixon TB012D. It takes the least effort of any of my low D whistles.
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I'll second that recommendation, I have the one piece Dixon low D, it's an easy player with a good tone, & not very expensive. :thumbsup:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Tremendouz
Tell us something.: A low whistle player with more whistles than skill. Looking forward to improve... and acquire more whistles!

Post by Tremendouz »

Dixon low D has low air requirements and isn't overly loud. However if you want even quieter and mellower, Carbony low D goes quite easily in the 2nd octave as well even if it requires a bit more air than Dixon if I recall correctly.

Goldfinch low D is great too although just a tad louder than Dixon I'd say. Not much though. Very air efficient
Mikethebook
Tell us something.: May 2022, I'm a second-time beginner to the whistle and low whistle after a three-year gap due to a chest injury brought to an end twelve years of playing. I've started on a high whistle and much is coming back quickly but it will be a while before I can manage a Low D again where my interest really lies. I chiefly love slow airs rather than dance tunes and am a fan of the likes of Davy Spillane, Eoin Duignan, Fred Morrison and Paddy Keenan.

Post by Mikethebook »

Thanks guys. I did wonder about the Dixon. Is the TB012D a tuneable version of the one-piece tapered bore Dixon? The Carbony would be another tapered bore though at the other end of the price range from the Dixon:)

In terms of the effort required to get up to the higher second octave which would you suggest is easiest Tremendouz: the Dixon, Carbony or Goldfinch?
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Mike: Before you make your decision, I strongly suggest you check out the Howard Low D. Both the Black and Black Silk models play very well. For me, the instrument checks a lot of boxes - and in your post, you echo some of those same desired characteristics, also. The price is very reasonable, and there are 3 mouthpieces with different sonic and playing characteristics, available. The standard mouthpiece is called 'balanced', one is called 'Reed,' and one is called 'Chiff.' The balanced mouthpiece plays and sounds like many other low Ds, and it makes the instrument very easy to play. I perform with the Reed head. Yes, it is a bit more touchy, but I love the sound.

Howard low D whistles are the opposite of what is often called an 'air hog.' I find that I can play the instrument, and almost never need to breathe in an uncomfortable place, or to have to break up a musical phrase, with a breath.

Anyway, David O'Hagan is a good contact at Howard, and courier shipping is reasonably priced, and is amazingly fast... Good luck in your search.
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Hi Mike,

Great to hear you've recovered at least well enough to start playing again! I still have that lovely Goldie narrow bore tenor D you had for awhile, although I'm playing flute more these days. I don't have much to add to others' comments, other than I wonder if a narrow(er) bore whistle might suit you better, at least for the lower air demands. Have you been in touch with Colin lately? I know he's made some modifications to the NB model that might work for you. The other maker who I think might make narrow bore whistles is John Busby at Shearwater Whistles. I've never played a Shearwater so can't speak from experience, but something to consider. The other suggestions so far – the Dixon, Howard, Goldfinch (I have a Goldfinch G on order) - are worth looking into as well, I'm sure. Hope you've been well and faring okay through the pandemic up in Orkney.
Cheers,
Stephen
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Byll, funnily enough I was checking out Howard whistles the other day after seeing a video on them by cutiepie(?). I was quite attracted to them but aren't they loud and don't they possess a fair bit of backpressure? If I bought one, I would go for the balanced head for sure. I have another question about the holes. Being a Goldie fan, I love the rounded holes on Colin's whistles. I'm pretty sure the holes on the Howard are clean edged except maybe for the Black Silk model. I can't tell from pictures how those are shaped. Can you describe them? I definitely would be interested if I felt the Howard would be low impact on my lungs/chest cavity. And I live in the UK so shipping isn't an issue.

Hi Stephen,
That NB Goldie would probably suit me now but I'm not yet ready to try a Goldie, health-wise and financially. I shouldn't really be looking into Low Ds until I've played Mack Hoover's high D for a short while. But I'm interested to know that Colin is still making NB Low Ds. Sadly, they lose some of the tone of the normal bore. Before I was "injured" he and I briefly discussed a medium Low D but with an Eb head, low air requirements but lower backpressure too but all such possibilities are on hold for now, like I say financially as well as health-wise. The Howard sounds like a possibility if Byll can assure me about some of the characteristics, but I'm considering the Dixon and Goldfinch too. I'll check out Shearwater for possible NB whistles. Thanks for that. We're fine in Orkney. Being an island has its advantages! Good to hear from you.

Thank you both
Cheers
Mike
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I also have a Howard low D, I find the second octave just a little bit harder than the Dixon, but not by much, (mine is a few years old now, so they may be different).

Shearwater, I have one of their low F whistles, are easy players too, fairly quiet, second octave quite easy.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Hello again, Mike. I have seen the cutie pie video. Howard whistles are not loud, nor soft. They are very musical sounding, and for me their volume is quite middle-ground. As for resistance, I tend to be quite sensitive to this characteristic. I have owned one of Colin's medium blower Overtons, and was gifted with an early MK low D. I owned Pat O'Riordan's ¾ inch low D, which had issues. Fine low D whistles they all were, but over the years, I kept looking for the personal holy grail.

Is the Howard perfect? Of course not. issues like this are alway subjective. How I wish that John Sindt would create a low D, but I am not holding my breath... (No pun intended.) I am not a person who enjoys extremes. The Howard seems to me, to be an excellent balance of price, resistance, volume, playability, air requirement, weight, finish, and something I call, 'repeatability.' Does the whistle react to input from the player in a linear, repeatable manner? The Howard Black and Black Silk instruments rank high in this last characteristic. The instruments are not touchy, quirky, etc.

Because of a personally-caused accident in shipping, I own both the Black and Black Silk model. The Black model has straight-sided tone holes. The Black-Silk has chamfered or beveled edges on the tone holes. Hmmm. I guess 'bevel' is the correct word. I have never really understood the difference... They both play equally well. For performance, I play the Black Silk model. I trust it...

The communication between David O'Hagan, at Howard, and I - here in Pennsylvania, USA - was excellent. He is very accommodating, knowledgeable, and honest.

As what you are looking for is subjective in nature, and descriptive words are not always clear, my attempts to describe the Howard low D probably fall far short of your need to be 'assured.' A phone call to David may help a lot.

Personal aside: Mack Hoover is the real deal. He is a dear friend, and we share a birthday - right down to our age. Hope his high d whistle can be part of your healing.
'Everything Matters...'
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Thank you both for your thoughts on the Howard. Byll, what you have to say is particularly encouraging and I'm pleased that the Black Silk model not only is very balanced in all attributes but has bevelled or chamfered holes (David calls them contoured on the website). A couple more questions for you if you don't mind. How difficult or easy do you find it to get up to the upper second octave? And David mentions a Soft Acoustic Resin that for an additional cost can be added to each of the fipples. Is that anything you have experience of with your whistles or is that a recent innovatio? See https://www.howardmusic.co.uk/classic/.

I think the Howard could well be ideal for me but first I'm looking forward to getting the whistle from Mack and hopefully recovering muscle tone in the chest and muscle memory in the fingers. And I may consider his Low G as a potential stepping stone too.

Many thanks
Mike
RLindner
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for 2 years now and I'm always looking for new instruments.

Cheers and greetings from Germany

Post by RLindner »

Hi Mike,
I was in a similar situation 2 years ago. I got an emergency surgery and ended up with a 35cm long scar on the belly.
I couldn't touch a whistle for a year.
Shortly before the surgery I just found my perfect low D, the Chieftain Custom which has a lot of backpressure.
I've vever managed to cope with that again. Therefore I was looking for the same as you.
I bought and sold quite many low D whistles.
I personally can't recommend the Howard in your case. It's fine up to the high G, but A and B need a very good push.
The same with the Walt Sweet Onyx.
As far as I remember, you prefer playing slow airs with long high notes?
I even bought a Carbony with close finger spacing for silly money. It's lovely to play on the lower octave and in terms
of finger stretch. But I didn't like the tone and there was the same problem with the high A and B.
Furthermore, one whistle even had very bad intonation and I had to return it. IMHO not worth that money.

Recently, I was offered a used Dixon TB003 for little money and I decided the give it a try. What to say, it's just perfect
for my use. It's a soft blower and needs very little air. Of course the whistle is rather quiet but has a nice complex tone
(flute like?). Most important for me is the easy upper octave. No probs with A and B at all.
IMHO, the Dixon is well worth the money (quite cheap) and should suites you to start with the low D whistle again.

Regards,
Rainer
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Hi Rainer,
Thanks for writing and for sharing your story . . . which was very helpful. I used to have that whistle but I really only used it for transcribing airs etc at my desk (what a memory you have regarding my tastes!) my go-to whistle being a medium blowing Goldie. I can't really remember how the Dixon played but your comparison of it with the Howard, Carbony etc is very helpful. I had reconsidered the possibility of buying one again. If nothing else it is very inexpensive and would be a good stepping stone to other Low Ds like the Howard. if I get that far. I may well have to be sensible and stay away from upper second octave airs until I see how I get on!! Thanks again. Sorry to hear you can't go back to the Chieftain but that's quite a scar you have!!

Out of curiosity what would your Ian Lambe Low D have been like for both of us?
Byll

Post by Byll »

Mike: I have found only one Achilles heel in the Howard Black Silk, with either the Balanced or the Reed head, and you went right to the point. While the notes above high G are quite playable on the Howard, they do not 'lock in' as easily as on some other low D whistles. I often let that issue slide, because I do not do much work with the band, that needs anything above the second octave G or A note. The wonderful tone of the Howard instrument overall, its ease of playing, and its lack of need for a lot of air, often win out, for me.

If you need to be able to play slow airs with long, high notes above a high G, the Howard could be a challenge for that particular capability.

Best to you, Mike, on a stormy day in Pennsylvania, USA.
'Everything Matters...'
Mikethebook

Post by Mikethebook »

Hi Byll, Thanks for that information. Good to know. The Howard seems ideal in so many other ways. But here's the thing for me. Much as I enjoyed playing the Davy Spillane kind of airs, playing long notes in the high second (even third) octave has maxiumum impact on the chest/lungs and I'm far from sure I'll be able to play those kind of tunes ever again! I may have to content myself playing slow reels or more normal airs without lingering on the high notes . . . so the Howard may still work for me. It's a case of starting with Mack's high D and taking baby steps. I'm now thinking that the Dixon may be the best Low D for me to start on. It's inexpensive and if I can play that without problem, maybe I could then look at a Howard again. But I'm also aware that I may not get further than Mack's whistle and I have to prepare myself for that eventuality too! Thanks for all your input.

P.S. I recognise too, looking through some of Davy's tune,s that many of them don't push high into the second octave. My favourite, and probably his simplest tune, Callow Lake, doesn't go above second octave E so the Howard might well work for me and I don't necessary have to give up all the airs that I like.