What is this Tune Name?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
smobolob
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: . .

What is this Tune Name?

Post by smobolob »

I came across the following video last year and loved the second tune in this set. I came across it again recently and just have to find out the tune name! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ODmqPvpxT50
Unfortunately as the comments are disabled I have no way of finding out the name (or sheet music if possible) of the last tune in this set (starting at 3:30).

Does anyone here know it or know how I could find out?

an seanduine

Re: What is this Tune Name?

Post by an seanduine »

It sure sounds a lot like The Devil´s Ladder.
A transcription is here:https://thesession.org/tunes/17491
In the discussion is a posting of Orlaith playing it on the flute.
The Devil´s Ladder is a well known rock climb in Kerry, where Orlaith´s family is from.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
smobolob
Tell us something.: . .

Post by smobolob »

Thanks for the suggestion, Bob!
I don't think that's it, however, it sounds pretty different to me :)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I have no idea what it is but it isn't rocket science, just get it down as a Gan Ainm for now(or call it Blue Monday for the time being, for the day that's in it).

it's simple enough. This quick jot will get you started or give you something to plug into a tune search:

GF|EB ~B2 cBAc| BAGB AGFG|~E3 F ~G3 A|B2 gf ed (3Bcd|eB ~B2 cBAc|BAGB AGFG|~E3 F ~G3 A|Beed e---etc
My brain hurts

ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:19 am I have no idea what it is but it isn't rocket science, just get it down as a Gan Ainm for now(or call it Blue Monday for the time being, for the day that's in it).

it's simple enough. This quick jot will get you started or give you something to plug into a tune search:

GF|EB ~B2 cBAc| BAGB AGFG|~E3 F ~G3 A|B2 gf ed (3Bcd|eB ~B2 cBAc|BAGB AGFG|~E3 F ~G3 A|Beed e---etc
There's a tune that I thought was called "The Wiltshire Six Hand Reel" ... it isn't. Now people who have learned it from me, including band members, know it as "Not the Wiltshire Six Hand Reel." Hasn't harmed the tune even a tiny bit, but with its "proper" name I might find some of its history I suppose.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I always go on the assumption tune name requests on the Internet are really asking for a way to get at a notation to learn the tune from. Which, by the way, is fine. I recently saw a post from someone maintaining they learned all their tunes by ear, from midis on thesession.org. Now talk about misguided... but that's another discussion.

I like to have the names for tunes but over time they have become less important. Not having a name never stopped me learning a tune and most of the time a name does eventually turn up. And a pedigree/background with it. But in general names are just a means to recall the tune, aide memoire, if you like. And as such anything that will get you to recall the tune will do. There's a disadvantage to remembering tunes in that manner too. I seem to have tunes 'stored' by name and often I hear a tune, know I play it but need to bring up the name in my mind before I can comfortably get into it.

In this case the tune in the OP's link, it has the feel of something made up recently. I posted the first part of it as an encouragement to the OP to, despite the lack of a notation, have a shot at just learning the tune anyway. It is simple enough. It may take a beginner a bit more effort but it took me hearing it twice to roughly get the first part. It's all in the doing and getting better at it with practice.
My brain hurts