FS: Chieftain Gold Tunable High D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Jdclar3
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just starting out using tin whistle. Would love to join the site to find tips and also buy a better whistle.

FS: Chieftain Gold Tunable High D

Post by Jdclar3 »

I can’t yet post in the used instrument forum , so hope this is ok here.

I am selling a rare tunable version of a solid brass Chieftain Gold in high D. It is up on eBay. Would love to see it go to a good home.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/275089214743
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: FS: Chieftain Gold Tunable High D

Post by pancelticpiper »

That's a rare beast indeed.

I used to own a Chieftain Gold Low D, it had a wonderful dark smooth tone especially noticeable in the high notes, which can be overly bright in alloy Low Ds.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Jdclar3 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:35 pm I can’t yet post in the used instrument forum ...
Big oops, there. Sorry about that. All taken care of.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Jdclar3
Tell us something.: Just starting out using tin whistle. Would love to join the site to find tips and also buy a better whistle.

Post by Jdclar3 »

Nanohedron wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:22 am
Jdclar3 wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 5:35 pm I can’t yet post in the used instrument forum ...
Big oops, there. Sorry about that. All taken care of.

Thanks , I’ve posted in the instrument exchange now. Feel free to delete the post here. I tried to figure it out myself , but no luck deleting it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

We can leave it. Doubles your chances.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Jdclar3

Post by Jdclar3 »

Sold…. Is there a way to edit or delete the post once it is sold?
Viking of Kiev
Tell us something.: The nick is outdated, I'd been living in Kiev for 13 years but now I am located in St.Petersburg, Russia.

Post by Viking of Kiev »

Why delete?

I have a question. What about clogging? I'am mostly a dry blower and don't usually have this problem but a couple of times I played all brass whistles and it was awful clogging-wise despite overall awesome tone and playability. So, what's here?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Viking of Kiev wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:39 am What about clogging? I'm mostly a dry blower and don't usually have this problem but a couple of times I played all-brass whistles and it was awful clogging-wise...
I'm an extremely wet blower and I instantly clog up any whistle that has a very low windway.

I have to do the dish-soap and toothpaste thing, which works well for me. It's allowed me to play the previously unplayable Overton-style whistles, which are now my favourites!
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle
Jdclar3

Post by Jdclar3 »

For me the clogging issues are not so much material like brass, aluminum, or wood, but how wide the wind way is. I agree that the Overton style windways are prone to clogging for me …. Not so much on the low D ones, but on high D ones I have that issue. The Chieftain Gold was not too bad on shorter tunes and just had to clear the airway after playing a bit. I had a Glen Schultz Thin weasel that seems to clog a lot on me. Anyway, I’ve found that there are enough makers out there that it is easy to find ones that almost never clog and sound great. My Humphrey and McManus for example almost never clog. So, I use those for High Octaves and then prefer the Overton style for Low Octave.

All that said, I already miss the Chieftain Gold. It seemed very unique with a pleasant sound.
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Jdclar3 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:42 pm For me the clogging issues are not so much material like brass, aluminum, or wood, but how wide the wind way is. I agree that the Overton style windways are prone to clogging for me.

I’ve found that there are enough makers out there that it is easy to find ones that almost never clog and sound great.
I was in that camp for quite a while. I was playing an MK Low D and Burkes for the Mezzo sizes, which didn't clog for me probably due to their curved windways.

I would instantly clog Overton-style whistles like Goldies.

But in playing a large number of Low Ds I came to the conclusion that Goldies were the best for me, so I learned the soap & toothpaste trick. I don't have to do it often, maybe once a year or so.
Richard Cook
Goldie Low D whistle