Smallest Playable Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
learn2turn
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

Smallest Playable Whistle

Post by learn2turn »

I'm curious what others have found the smallest whistle they can play. I bought a Dixon Trad (high) E a while back and I rather like noodling around on it now and then. My fingers are just starting to touch each other. I'm curious if I could even play a high F or high G. I have pretty much a Large glove size, about 9 or 9.5.

-l2t
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Re: Smallest Playable Whistle

Post by RoberTunes »

I've owned some very inexpensive high G and high F whistles. High F was no bother for the fingers, but it wasn't a quality instrument, so I threw it out. High G was where my fingers were obstructing each other in some cases, so since it was by the same common brand as the F, and neither could produce a full second octave without the notes becoming very raspy and the intonation falling apart, they were both tossed in the garbage.
I've seen quite a few great sounding whistles in keys higher than D. Check Anak, Humphrey, Nick Metcalf might offer them still in the Ceol Pro or Silver Star models, Carbony.
When playing notes that high, also consider other instruments of similar design, such as the sopranino recorders and garklein. The sopranino recorder is up in a high range
where it sounds like a smooth-tone whistle and less like a nasally recorder. Plus it's obviously fully chromatic. Yamaha makes excellent quality sopranino recorders that are
easy playing, dependable and quite inexpensive.
MichaelLoos
Tell us something.: I'm here because I just wanted to change my location... but it turns out much more complicated than I thought. Do I already have the 100 required characters?

Post by MichaelLoos »

On his first solo record "Traditional Irish Pipe Music", Finbar Furey played O'Rourke's Reel on a high G whistle.
While you can hear that the whistle (most probably a Generation) is not of the best quality, his playing definitely is.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

My Generation high F & high G work fine, in fact I quite like to noodle around on them, high Eb is OK, as is their high D, but I much prefer their high C or Bb for normal playing.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The little Generation F is actually a nifty little whistle. See here for example.

I used to be able for the little G but it has been decades since I had the urge to try.
My brain hurts

Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:47 am The little Generation F is actually a nifty little whistle. See here for example.

I used to be able for the little G but it has been decades since I had the urge to try.
The question is... would it still be "nifty" in my hands as it is in Mary Bergin's? :)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Personally the high Eb is the smallest I can play comfortably.

If that key is needed I much prefer a Low Eb.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

John Sindt made me a high E whistle, some years ago. It has a wonderful, bird-like, non-harsh timbre, and is well in tune over its entire range. Our band uses it as backing for one song, written by a friend. Since the friend wrote it in EM, and sang it in EM, we have followed suit...
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
preacher
Tell us something.: I am in my 70s and played music since fourth grade. Paid gigs include everything starting with church solos in 4th grade, nightclubs starting 9th grade, and worship ministry. Had a 29 year career teaching high school music both choral and instrumental. I've played several instruments starting with trumpet as my main ax. I added flute, sax and keys after college. Early 2000s whistles were added to my arsenal. I'm back to playing again after a 5 year hiatus.

Post by preacher »

For me there’s the high whistles I have and the high whistles I use. This highest I have is a Susato F - I think I have only used it twice at most and then only when I needed to cut through a loud mix of instruments playing in F or Bb which is rare. I have 2 E whistles - Humphrey brass and Dixon aluminum. I have used them both on occasion because E & A are favorite keys of guitar players. I’ll bring both to rehearsal and try both but often change my mind when music goes live!!! Just whatever sounds good to my ears at the time. Again I will use these hi whistles mostly when I want to be heard over a loud live mix.
I have an Eb Humphrey also but haven’t had to use it but I have played it. Finger spacing hasn’t been a problem since I have small hands but the Humphreys are thinner than the others so they feel different.
My 2 cents on this.