Whistle Giveaway

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Flexismart
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Some of my original tunes are displayed at https://thesession.org/members/49476
I play several flutes, many whistles, many guitars, bouzouki, banjo, and own way too many pedals.
I could open a music store if I didn't live in the back woods of Pennsylvania.

Re: Whistle Giveaway

Post by Flexismart »

A waltz written by Nollaig Casey in the '90's - Strand of the Pearl

https://thesession.org/tunes/21309
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Another one of my favorites, though that D# can be tricky on the whistle or keyless flute.
O'Brien wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:49 pm I'd have to go with Les Poules Houpes, or Crested Hens. A nice minor feel, with a surprise or two. And any tune about fancy chickens gets my vote. Probably in 6/8, but it seems very waltzy.
ripleywm
Tell us something.: 50 something piper interested in whistles. I live in NE Georgia in the USA. I started in Florida about 30 years ago, but I have had several long hiatuses. I've been playing seriously for about 3 years now.

Post by ripleywm »

Hector The Hero
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

O'Brien wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 6:49 pm I'd have to go with Les Poules Houpes, or Crested Hens. A nice minor feel, with a surprise or two. And any tune about fancy chickens gets my vote. Probably in 6/8, but it seems very waltzy.
It's a 3/8 bourrée. Frequently played so slowly (thanks to Solas?), but should really move!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

ripleywm wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:42 am Hector The Hero
Written in 6/8 by James Scott Skinner.

Master of nine?
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

OK I have my work cut out for me since I really want this whistle, so here's a small story. haha My good friend Lisa who plays whistle and bodhran in our little troop brought me this album that was her mom's, growing up in Co. Louth. King of the fairies got under my skin (in a good way, like brining a turkey) straight off. It was a real ear worm and such an odd layout with the really long B part, it almost felt like two different tunes. I worked hard at it and now play it pretty well with limited ornaments and in lots of different keys. Favourites being Bb and A. I know this is technically a hornpipe so my second submission is Inisheer (mentioned already, I know) that I accidentally learned in 4/4 and paired with KOTF. Unlearning my bad timing on Inisheer was painful to say the least but I sorted it out and still play them back to back.

ImageLha3IuuFTe6mEmtnnhtpdA by Pat McInnis, on Flickr
ImagensfyLHn%R9emsc98IpCNZQ by Pat McInnis, on Flickr
ripleywm
Tell us something.: 50 something piper interested in whistles. I live in NE Georgia in the USA. I started in Florida about 30 years ago, but I have had several long hiatuses. I've been playing seriously for about 3 years now.

Post by ripleywm »

Peter Duggan wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:11 pm
ripleywm wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:42 am Hector The Hero
Written in 6/8 by James Scott Skinner.
"To enter, simply post here telling me the name of your favorite tune in 3/4 time."

OP did not say it had to written in 3/4 and a simple search by anyone with half a brain will bring up many versions in 3/4.
Flotineer
Tell us something.: New fluter. Recovering piper... What with one thing and another I’m learning the flute, but I’ve been learning Irish music for a while now.

Post by Flotineer »

Bearing in mind the spirit of generosity in which this is intended, I’m not going to be hunting around looking too closely at the time signatures. What I will be doing is listening to some new tunes shared by others - I happen to have an affinity for 3/4 feeling tunes - and giving a whistle away. :thumbsup:
Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

ripleywm wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:21 am a simple search by anyone with half a brain
I'm simply offering information, not criticising or being rude!

Master of nine?
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

Flotineer wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 9:09 am Bearing in mind the spirit of generosity in which this is intended, I’m not going to be hunting around looking too closely at the time signatures. What I will be doing is listening to some new tunes shared by others - I happen to have an affinity for 3/4 feeling tunes - and giving a whistle away. :thumbsup:
This is a really fun and cool idea. I don't usually gravitate towards waltzes but this inspired me to listen to a few. I think I'm going to tackle Mr Gumbys submission of the New Land. Bit of a neat back story about the creator, explained on the Session. Would this be considered a "Bretton tune"?

Thanks for doing this.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There's another one I should mention. Harmonica player Mick Kinsella played this during a concert we did at the Feakle festivals one fifteen years ago (we had to twist his arm to get him to do it) and it's a really gorgeous one: the Leipzig waltz, composed by fiddle player Dee Armstrong. According to Mick she dreamed the tune in Leipzig while on your with Kila, and named it after the city. I believe there are versions on YouTube but I have yet to hear one to better or even equal what Mick played for us. I have a clip recorded on the night, if need be.

and no, still no need to enter me in the draw
Last edited by Mr.Gumby on Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My brain hurts

Peter Duggan

Post by Peter Duggan »

Polara Pat wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:17 pm I don't usually gravitate towards waltzes but this inspired me to listen to a few.
Anyone remember Waltzes With Flutes?

Master of nine?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Tom Bhetty's was rather popular during the nineties/naughties. Not the worst of them.
My brain hurts

ripleywm

Post by ripleywm »

Peter Duggan wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:15 am
ripleywm wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:21 am a simple search by anyone with half a brain
I'm simply offering information, not criticising or being rude!
Cheers to you sir!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Here's a clip of the tune I mentioned above. The Gala concert at the Feakle festival, 2006/7-ish. We went as an impromptu foursome. During afternoon drawing up a set list over cups of tea Mick played this for the fun of it. I thought it was just lovely and we managed to convince him to play it during the concert. The late Maurice Coyle played the guitar on the night. It was a good night.

Leipzig waltz - Mick Kinsella

I'll leave the clip up for a few days.
My brain hurts