Whistle Giveaway

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Flotineer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: New fluter. Recovering piper... What with one thing and another I’m learning the flute, but I’ve been learning Irish music for a while now.

Whistle Giveaway

Post by Flotineer »

With the mods’ permission, and in order to show my gratitude for the wealth of information I have gotten here, I am sponsoring a whistle giveaway.

Up for grabs - a brand new Chris Wall whistle in “A” (ordered a while ago, but newly received).

It works like this:

To enter, simply post here telling me the name of your favorite tune in 3/4 time. If more than one of you like the same tune, no problem, BUT - only one post/entry per person.

Entries will close at 5PM Central Standard (US) time on Friday, 12/17/21.

Sometime on the 18th, I’ll draw a name from the hat, and announce it here. Then, the lucky winner can PM me their address. Shipping is on me, worldwide through USPS.

So, what’s your favorite air/waltz/mazurka/polonaise/minuet/etc.?
plunk111
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Whistle Giveaway

Post by plunk111 »

"Waltz for Little Girls" (that's what my group called it), but I think the "real" name is "Waltz of the Little Girls"

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
learn2turn
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

Post by learn2turn »

Has to be "Ashokan Farewel".

I've dabble with it bit haven't got it down on the whistle yet. I need to sit down and learn it all one day.

-l2t
bigsciota

Post by bigsciota »

Gotta go with the Sunday's Well Waltz by Caitlín nic Gabhann. Lived on Sunday's Well for a while, met my now-wife there, and that was our first dance at our wedding.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Anniversary Waltz :D
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
JackJ
Tell us something.: A new tin whistle player, I'm eager to learn more from the collective wisdom of this group. While my playing could use lots of help, I'm especially eager to learn which recordings to listen to.

Post by JackJ »

“Sunday’s Well” by the great concertina player Caitlin nic Gabhann is my choice as well. Lovely tune.

Jack
glacier
Tell us something.: I'm a clarinetist/silver flute player just getting into Irish music. I play Greek/Turkish/Balkan in addition to classical.

Post by glacier »

Not sure if this is a stretch away from what would be defined as a "tune," but I've been reminded lately of how much I love love love the first movement (in 3/4) of Brahms' f minor Clarinet Sonata, opus 120:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFZRF38HAoY

In case I need a backup that better fits the category- Blowzabella's "The Rose of Raby" is a waltz I always need to listen to on repeat.....
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The New Land is one we played an awful lot during the naughties for the Sunday dances once Jackie introduced it to us, he kept going back to it. Still have a fondness for it.

(no need to enter me into the draw) :o
My brain hurts

Tremendouz
Tell us something.: A low whistle player with more whistles than skill. Looking forward to improve... and acquire more whistles!

Post by Tremendouz »

Not sure if it's 3/4 or 6/8 but either way, Inisheer is probably the tune I've been practicing the most ever since I started playing back in May this year.
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Too many to have a single favourite, but happy to name the Unst Bridal March as one!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
charley
Tell us something.: Musician for contradances in Baltimore MD. Main instrument is guitar, but currently playing a keyless polymer flute and a tweaked Freeman generation whistle. Interested in technique discussions and flutes for sale.

Post by charley »

I love the waltz Evergreen composed by Keith Murphy on the Becky Tracy album of the same name.
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

I have many favorites but one of them is the Waltz "Bygone Days". I don't know who wrote it but I first heard it played by Elieen Ivers.

Rhoda Barfoot does a good version of it also. I learned to play it on the whistle and enjoy playing it often.

Edited:
I forgot to say thank you for your generosity! (No matter who wins the whistle.)
OBrien

Post by OBrien »

I'd have to go with Les Poules Houpes, or Crested Hens. A nice minor feel, with a surprise or two. And any tune about fancy chickens gets my vote. Probably in 6/8, but it seems very waltzy.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

One of the first trad tunes I learned to play (on fiddle, but it works well on whistle too)... Morag of Dunvegan.
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

A couple of Scottish waltzes come to mind:
Bethany's Waltz (Jenna Reid)
Leaving Uist (Fred Morrison)