Whistle Giveaway

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ecadre
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Whistle Giveaway

Post by ecadre »

The question about "your favourite tune" I find problematic. Actually, I'm not sure that it's a real thing at all ... discuss.

A common thing is to say that your favourite tune is the one you're playing or just learnt. In the end I only really play tunes that I like (I'm hardly unusual there), and the ones I keep going back to ... are they favourites or habitual?

Since this is a tin whistle forum, I'll mention a tune that I only play on whistle. Why do I play it only on a whistle? Now that I think of it, I'm not sure. It's never occurred to me to play it on melodeon or harmonica, not that I'd noticed this choice until just now.

Anyway the tune I've chosen here is "Derwentwater's Farewell." Not a waltz or a mazurka, not any kind of a dance tune in fact, but an air to a song. It's a quite simple tune, but beautifully wistful and very fitting to the words of the song. It's a lament and the song refers to James Radclyffe, 3rd Earl of Derwentwater (in Northumberland, family from Lancashire) who was executed for his involvement in the 1715 Jacobite rebellion.

It's is one of those tunes that I kind of automatically start playing when I am relaxing at home (not practising), so it is certainly habitual, so maybe a favourite too. :-)
KevinNot10
Tell us something.: I play pipes, flute, and whistle. Grew up in Canada, currently living in the UK. Current set is a Concert D David Quinn set c. 1980.

Post by KevinNot10 »

I don't want to start any arguments about time signatures, but I'll often use Planxty Irwin when this sort of tune is requested.
Kevin
xabeba
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by xabeba »

Lately my favourite for playing on both whistle and flute has been The Jewels of the Ocean.

Thanks for the giveaway, and for this thread of favourite 3/4 tunes :D
Celtic Enthusiast
Tell us something.: I enjoy Celtic music and am continually learning about tin whistle playing as I play with a group. I play other instruments but the tin whistle is one of the most fun I've played.

Post by Celtic Enthusiast »

The Marino Waltz by John Sheehan, thank you for the giveaway.
CAMcClellan
Tell us something.: I’m here because I have fallen in love with the sound of the whistle. I play other instruments, but not in public anymore. For me, I play music because I can’t not play music.

Post by CAMcClellan »

I would have to say that Ashoken Farewell is probably my favorite.
Darth Corpulent
Sith Lord of Tacos
Delsman
Tell us something.: I have played the whistle for a few years now. Love the discussions that happen in this group and the sale of used instruments.

Post by Delsman »

Mine would have to be aughrim slopes! First waltz I ever learned :)
leydog
Tell us something.: I first encountered C&F almost 20 years ago when I became interested in learning to play the whistle. I renewed that interest this year, with the help of the resources on YouTube. In addition to dedicating serious time to the whistle, I also decided to invest in learning to play the flute. Tired of hoping others would ask the questions I have, I decided it was time to join the discussion/session, rather than continue sitting on the sideline with my flute/whistle on my lap, so to speak. So I ask permission to make my contribution.

Post by leydog »

Have to say it's "The County Tyrone." I don't know the source. But I heard it first on the Chieftains' "Water from the Well." It's a simple little waltz with a lovely swing that I sometimes play inside my head when out walking.

Another tune in 3/4 I like is "The Ash Grove." It is not a light-hearted waltz; but I love the shape of the melody. That may be because I learned it first for a recital years ago as a song arranged by Benjamin Britten. A joy for the singer and the accompanist.
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

I like "Down Yonder In The Woodlands" as a warmup tune to ease open the fingers and check air control.
That sounds like pilot talk. Whistle Pilot, could be the name of a tune! :thumbsup:
Flotineer
Tell us something.: New fluter. Recovering piper... What with one thing and another I’m learning the flute, but I’ve been learning Irish music for a while now.

Post by Flotineer »

Entries having closed, the randomly selected winner is: Flexismart!

Flexi, when you see this, PM me your address and I’ll send you tracking info. I hope you enjoy!

Everyone else, thank you for sharing your tunes with me. Delightful! There are a couple I’ve already started working on…