Copeland value?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sirchronique
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Copeland value?

Post by Sirchronique »

Howdy folks. I don’t post much anymore, as I’ve mainly moved to Facebook groups, but I’m still alive and whistling.

I’ve got a Lovely nickel Copeland high D that I’m looking to sell, as I tend to really just play a few of my high D whistles. I looked on eBay to check out the going rate of sold listings, only to be met with 0 results to my search. Does anyone here know what a reasonable selling price would be for these?

I bought it together with a brass high C a long time ago, and mainly only wanted the C at the time (which is still my main high C of choice). The D is too lovely to sit around unplayed, so I’d like it to go to someone who will play it. If anyone has any information about what a fair or normal selling price would be for the soprano D, I’d be grateful. I want to either sell it or offer it as a partial trade for a Copeland low E or F, but I want to get some idea of the value before putting it in the UIE.

Boople snortch

-Sir C
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Copeland value?

Post by Nanohedron »

I'll get it off your hands for 5¢.

Just kidding. :wink:

Best if this inquiry and its responses are conducted privately, as the Board has an injunction against price policing: https://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewt ... 1#p1038851 ... and upon consideration one finds that the topic fits, for while your inquiry is laudable, its public nature is subject to problems. Admin advice is that you arrive at an asking price sourced outside of the Board's public forums, and let the chips fall where they may. My personal suggestion is that if you get no PMs or email, try searching online for asking prices outside of eBay - they can be found even anecdotally - and weigh the results for what you think is reasonable.

Best of luck to you.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Here's an outside source of SOLD values. However, they do not include the date sold, which may have signficance.

https://www.irishflutestore.com/search?q=copeland
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Sirchronique
Tell us something.: I like whistles, flutes, lyres, cittern/mandolin/bouzouki family instruments, as well as heavy and nasty slap bass. Languages, linguistics, history (especially Migration Period and Bronze Age Europe), cuisine from various parts of Latin America, chili growing, bushcraft, and the works of JRR Tolkien also tickle my fancy.

Post by Sirchronique »

Nanohedron wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:44 pm I'll get it off your hands for 5¢.

Just kidding. :wink:

Best if this inquiry and its responses are conducted privately, as the Board has an injunction against price policing: https://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewt ... 1#p1038851 ... and upon consideration one finds that the topic fits, for while your inquiry is laudable, its public nature is subject to problems. Admin advice is that you arrive at an asking price sourced outside of the Board's public forums, and let the chips fall where they may. My personal suggestion is that if you get no PMs or email, try searching online for asking prices outside of eBay - they can be found even anecdotally - and weigh the results for what you think is reasonable.

Best of luck to you.
Sorry, I did not realize that trying to locate sources for the value of an item would fall under “price policing”. I was under the impression that this term was used in regards to people commenting on the pricing of items that have already been listed and are available for sale. My apologies.

In any case, the resources listed here and sent to me in PM gave me an idea of the general ballpark value, and I’ve listed it in the UEI.

It seems like this forum is much less active than in the past. Hope you’ve all been doing well!

Keep tootin’!
-Chris
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

I think you are correct about activity slowing down. It may be that Facebook and its multiple Whistle pages have drawn a lot of attention. Also the new improved page made some things work differently. I personally blew off a bunch of replies to PMs regarding a listing of whistles for sale. I used to get an email telling me I got a PM. But I actually just noticed messages from July and August when I signed today. Maybe the you've got a message function is no longer, or it somehow went to my junk mail. Who knows. I had just assumed they were not generating any interest. I will be making some PM apologies this evening. :D