Alex DeWilde custom stainless steel high C

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Dreday
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I started playing recorders until I found Kerry whistles and fell in love with the tone, different sizes and low maintenance.1

Alex DeWilde custom stainless steel high C

Post by Dreday »

Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Re: Alex DeWilde custom stainless steel high C

Post by Narzog »

Wow, thats what I call a nice finish. I started my whistle journey trying to make my own whistles because I thought it would be easy and I could save some money. But oh was I wrong. My tools were never good enough to be able to get solid quality and do what I want. I have a little micro metal lathe and a bad excuse for a desktop cnc, not nearly good enough to pull off something like this. And it doesnt help that I'm a really bad excuse for a machinist haha. And obviously theres more to making whistles than tools the tools. But some people might not realize just how much money a maker has to put into tools just to be able to make what they are thinking of (I certainly didn't when I started haha). And then they still have to design it and get the tool to do what they want. Really hard stuff. Its just given me an increased appreciation of good makers. Idk if you are the maker or not but to the maker, well done.
Dreday
Tell us something.: I started playing recorders until I found Kerry whistles and fell in love with the tone, different sizes and low maintenance.1

Post by Dreday »

Hi 👋🏼 the beautiful whistle is mine but I am not the maker! Alex has a website: https://www.hhfi.biz/index.html
This was a custom order. I have a whole set of stainless whistles built by Alex 🥰
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Stainless steel is great for whistles, just harder to drill but there is less filing to clean up the holes. I made a couple from construction steel (which rusts) and one from stainless -- it was just an experiment but it plays lovely. Mine ist not nearly as nicely finished however as the DeWilde. I think more makers should use steel for whistles.
Dreday

Post by Dreday »

Also stainless steel doesn’t make my fingers smell like when I touch brass. Also stainless is so nice to look at. Another thing is stainless is very hard so tonal wise it will sound different than thin wall brass. These whistles have thick walls.