MK Pro Finish? Vs Polished Vs Carbony

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Windyonehundred
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I really enjoy playing various stringed instruments as well as flute, sax, trumpet and some whistle. I have been lurking and find most questions are already answered but figure its time to register and support the forum.

MK Pro Finish? Vs Polished Vs Carbony

Post by Windyonehundred »

I am considering an MK Pro in F and was wondering if anyone can tell me if the Silver color is polished or the anodized/painted color like the red, green etc?? Do these colors have drawback like do they chip? I thought I read that they cool off quicker or maybe it was the polished that cooled off quicker....any info would be greatly appreciated as I play in some cooler temps occasionally. Carbony same question related to playing in cooler temps?
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Re: MK Pro Finish? Vs Polished Vs Carbony

Post by Narzog »

Welcome to the forum.

I have a MK Pro D in silver. Its the matte textured surface and not polished. Its really nice, it only has 1 con. I feel like the textured, by being less smooth, maybe gets more mouth gunk. But thats just called clean it or wipe it with a wet paper towel for 1 second and bam good as new. Otherwise it just looks and feels really good. I'd even consider taking it over polished.

To my knowledge anodizing doesnt give a texture. Its given the texture, and then anodized. Some of the models are polished and anodized. Anodizing gives a tougher finish than normal polished aluminum. Unlike all my other whistles, I haven't managed to scratch my MK or give any signs of wear. I've also tried really hard to not scuff it, which probobly helps haha.

On cooling, I dont think the polished or matte will be any different, at least not different enough to notice a difference. Because Carbony has a full delrin mouthpiece, that will most likely be better at playing in the cold. Because plastic isnt a conductor, once the inside is warm from playing it will stay warmer than metal which is always trying to get cold, from the rest of the whistle being cold. That said I've played my MK outside in 50 (F not Celsius) and had no issues. Any colder than that and my hands getting cold would be just as much of a problem as moisture. My MK has never given me any clogging issues. So I don't think you need to worry too much about that. And I'm a wet player, so if a whistle can get clogging issues I get them. Another thing, Plastic does not equal no clogging. My Burke A and high Tilbury's with the inner delrin can have moisture issues. These arent related to temperature, just general design, windway height, shape, etc. So the Carbony wont be guaranteed better in the moisture department. Hopefully some Carbony owners can clarify on how well they do with clogging.

Heres some images to compare vs Nickel plated and normal Aluminum
Note my phone camera makes everything look significantly dirtier than the yare. but they could use a bit of cleaning, like the gunk on my MK lip haha.

Some random notes. The lip is nickel plated. The color of the silver is really nice, its different then nickel and standard aluminum. Along with the brass tuning slide, looks incredibly nice (and plays equally as well).

If I could go back in time I'd get a MK F or Reyburn over the Burke or Thunderbird, the others in the picture (I haven't played a Carbony or Goldie, but they are prob up there aswell in the good options list). The Burke just uses way too much air. Another minor con, the thin tube makes way more finger popping sounds if you put your fingers down haha. A weird con, but somehow bugs me. Otherwise it still plays incredibly well, as Burkes do. The Thunderbird is just tuned/voiced worse. You have to blow extra softly for the low end, and blow really hard for the higher (upper second octave), to be in tune. Which just creates a larger volume imbalance between octaves vs the Burke, Mk or Reyburn. Also it makes a lot more unhappy whistle sounds with any imperfect fingering, cutting too slow, some lazy fingerings make it mad, etc. Making it just harder to play and have it sound good. also to top it off it gets moisture issues making it sound raspy sometimes. The other 3 don't do have these issue, so I think they are better. The thunderbird has an awesome tone, but I'd take playability over tone. And MK tone is also excellent. So I fully endorse going MK. I havent played a Carbony so I have no solid input on Carbony vs MK sadly. But It seems like Carbony haev a cleaner tone, and MK will be have a more dirty tone, so just comes down to preference on tone. Carbony have easier finger spacing, but on a F I dont see spacing as an issue for most people. Carbony are made in USA so no foreign shipping. MK may have a stronger low end, Carbony seem to maybe overblow a bit easier. But I cant confirm this, its just going off videos I've seen of Carbony F's.

And I know you were mostly asking about coatings and not how other random F's play. But I like monologuing about whistles, and maybe it will help you or someone else who haven't been able to play others and are trying to pick a low F haha.
Windyonehundred
Tell us something.: I really enjoy playing various stringed instruments as well as flute, sax, trumpet and some whistle. I have been lurking and find most questions are already answered but figure its time to register and support the forum.

Narzog, Thank you the detailed post! I really appreciate the thought you put into explaining everything. The comments and photos of the MK shows me the finish nicely (but you should really clean them up as they are filthy and embarassing to look at lol).
The comments on the Burke are much appreciated also as I have been considering his as well. If you have a Burke and MK pro in D Low D or Bb I would be interested in knowing if your comment on the Burke "it takes to much air" applies to any other keys as well?
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I think that a Carbony should be great for cold weather. Metal takes longer to warm up. And the problem is the metal cooling down the air column inside the tube.
Can't comment on the low D though, I only have the high D "quiet" and leading tone "session" model. Both play perfectly in tune (as expected at that price point) and have zero clogging issues.
Windyonehundred

Thanks for that Sedi. Glad you like your high D's and can confirm the cold weather theory which makes a lot of sense to me too.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Windyonehundred wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:34 pm Narzog, Thank you the detailed post! I really appreciate the thought you put into explaining everything. The comments and photos of the MK shows me the finish nicely (but you should really clean them up as they are filthy and embarassing to look at lol).
The comments on the Burke are much appreciated also as I have been considering his as well. If you have a Burke and MK pro in D Low D or Bb I would be interested in knowing if your comment on the Burke "it takes to much air" applies to any other keys as well?
My phone somehow makes everything look 1000x dirtier than they really are haha. Like the giant smudge mark thing on the MK lip isnt that noticeable, and the Burke doesnt actually look disgusting haha.

I don't want to make the Burke F sound bad. It plays incredibly well, super easy to play in tune, strong low end, really responsive, no moisture issues, etc. Everything you would want from a top tier whistle. The tone is really clean but I think in the higher notes the clear tone really shines. I just wish it used less air because that's the one area my others just do a better job, while they still have many of its other good sides. But its not like its a unusable amount of air. You just need to fit in more breaths. It uses a noticeable amount more than my MK low D. Which is a very air efficient whistle. But its also bigger. So I'd expect an MK F to use even less.

I also have a Burke A, which I got first. The air use is significantly lower than the F. Which is why I was so shocked when I got the F. I've always read that burkes use more air than usual. But because I had the A, I thought the F would just be a bit wider windway. But its wider and taller. So I'm not sure if it jumps at low G or F. But anything A or down the air use is totally fine. The A still uses more air than say a Gen Bb, but not too much. I'm not sure if a low D would use a lot more than the F or if its similar.
Windyonehundred

That is Interesting about the Burkes and how you cannot judge one and expect the same maker to repeat the same whistle in a different key. I ordered a Carbony and will see in a few days how I get along with it. I still really want an Mk pro but since I probably need a few low D's maybe I'll order one or see one used somewhere.
Narzog

Post by Narzog »

Windyonehundred wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:09 pm That is Interesting about the Burkes and how you cannot judge one and expect the same maker to repeat the same whistle in a different key. I ordered a Carbony and will see in a few days how I get along with it. I still really want an Mk pro but since I probably need a few low D's maybe I'll order one or see one used somewhere.
Whats interesting is Burkes are said to play like Burkes, in that they are pretty consistent from key to key. But I guess air use is excluded from that haha. But like one wont all of a sudden overblow super easy and another hard. Which some makers end up doing.

The Carbony should be nice, let us know what you think when you get it. I haven't got to play a Carbony, but would like to. If I ever see one for a good deal used in a key I have an excuse to buy I'd buy one.

MK D come up used here and there. Thats how I got mine. I love buying used but what I want never comes up used when I want it haha. MK are common enough you can put a buy post out and someone may sell.
Windyonehundred

I sure will post my thoughts here after I get it.
On the "Burke are Burkes" we have all heard ... The air usage is probably the most important thing I am interested in (maybe even before tone) because I hate whistles I have to be super delicate with. Having played Tenor Sax I am used to moving a lot of air and having to worry about overblowing the low notes can be frustrating.
If its not fun to play I'd rather buy something else. I certainly understand some players like to just breath into a whistle and make it work but I am not really one of them. So its nice to know that a maker is consistent on their builds in that area.
So how that does that information fit with the MK Pro? Does it sound like a whistle that would fit my style as I do like their tone?
preacher
Tell us something.: I am in my 70s and played music since fourth grade. Paid gigs include everything starting with church solos in 4th grade, nightclubs starting 9th grade, and worship ministry. Had a 29 year career teaching high school music both choral and instrumental. I've played several instruments starting with trumpet as my main ax. I added flute, sax and keys after college. Early 2000s whistles were added to my arsenal. I'm back to playing again after a 5 year hiatus.

Post by preacher »

Got a Carbony low F last winter. No issues with warm up intonation unlike trumpet, sax and flute which I also play. Love this whistle and always hoping for opportunities to use it my worship band. Also because it is conical bore the finger spacing is do-able for me.
Narzog

Post by Narzog »

Windyonehundred wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:40 am I sure will post my thoughts here after I get it.
On the "Burke are Burkes" we have all heard ... The air usage is probably the most important thing I am interested in (maybe even before tone) because I hate whistles I have to be super delicate with. Having played Tenor Sax I am used to moving a lot of air and having to worry about overblowing the low notes can be frustrating.
If its not fun to play I'd rather buy something else. I certainly understand some players like to just breath into a whistle and make it work but I am not really one of them. So its nice to know that a maker is consistent on their builds in that area.
So how that does that information fit with the MK Pro? Does it sound like a whistle that would fit my style as I do like their tone?
We seem to have similar taste in whistles. Most of them I've sold were because they were too easy to overblow and had a weak low end. I definitely like to have to push it a little. There's obviously a balance, where the high notes can start needing too much push that its uncomfortable to play lots of high notes. MK and Burke have got this right to me. You can push the low notes so it can get a good strong volume, but hitting the top of second octave isn't too hard. The issue with the burke F starts being that you have to push a little hard and it uses a lot of air, so your moving a ton of air to try and hold the high notes. The MK has more back pressure. So it maybe feels like you have to push a bit harder but your using noticeably less air. Which seems to be the ideal to me. I believe Goldie, Alba, Busker/Thunderbird and some Reyburn should be similar. My Reyburn G is easier to overblow side which I don't like as much but everything else about it is nice, and its a good practice whistle because its not too loud, so its still a keeper. I believe some of his others take more push, the G aluminum is just a small bore.
Windyonehundred

Narzog wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:02 pm
Windyonehundred wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:09 pm That is Interesting about the Burkes and how you cannot judge one and expect the same maker to repeat the same whistle in a different key. I ordered a Carbony and will see in a few days how I get along with it. I still really want an Mk pro but since I probably need a few low D's maybe I'll order one or see one used somewhere.

The Carbony should be nice, let us know what you think when you get it. I haven't got to play a Carbony, but would like to.
Just to update as promised. I really like the Carbony. It plays very easy and does not to be warm to play. Doesn't clog up. I can take it outside in cool temps and its no trouble. Tone is airy and dry but still nice. That is why we can't just own one whistle I guess :)
Narzog

Post by Narzog »

Windyonehundred wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:47 pm Just to update as promised. I really like the Carbony. It plays very easy and does not to be warm to play. Doesn't clog up. I can take it outside in cool temps and its no trouble. Tone is airy and dry but still nice. That is why we can't just own one whistle I guess :)
Awesome! glad you like it. I'm assuming 'plays easy' means it overblows fairly easily. How strong is the low end? I love a strong low end but strong low end usually is less nice to play. I just like how it sounds haha.
Windyonehundred

I would say it plays nice and even and speaks on the low end without that fussy, delicate, worrisome feeling that makes you wonder if the low note is going to sound when you go to it.
Prairie4dude
Tell us something.: I am somewhat new to the Irish whistle, and am interested in improving my technique and getting a bit more up-to-speed on the instrument. My background is that of a recorder player, and I have had to make some technical adjustments when switching to the whistle, but it's been a fun journey thus far. Currently, I play a Killarney high D, an MK Pro low D, a Goldie alto F, and two Goldfinch whistles (high D and alto G).

Post by Prairie4dude »

I bought a new low D MK Pro in the textured silver (or aluminum -- not sure which is the "proper" name for it) last fall, and am glad I went with that color. I chose the color because I wanted something rather neutral, and although color can be your friend, I find that my color tastes tend to change over time. Anyway, in my books the silver/aluminum matte look is more "timeless," and the thing plays like a dream -- which is, of course, even more important than the looks!