MK Pro Finish? Vs Polished Vs Carbony

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Narzog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Re: MK Pro Finish? Vs Polished Vs Carbony

Post by Narzog »

Prairie4dude wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:11 pm I bought a new low D MK Pro in the textured silver (or aluminum -- not sure which is the "proper" name for it) last fall, and am glad I went with that color. I chose the color because I wanted something rather neutral, and although color can be your friend, I find that my color tastes tend to change over time. Anyway, in my books the silver/aluminum matte look is more "timeless," and the thing plays like a dream -- which is, of course, even more important than the looks!
Welcome to the silver mk low d club! I dub it silver because its a different color than my aluminum whistles. It just looks right. And as you know, plays just as well as it looks.
Windyonehundred
Tell us something.: I really enjoy playing various stringed instruments as well as flute, sax, trumpet and some whistle. I have been lurking and find most questions are already answered but figure its time to register and support the forum.

Post by Windyonehundred »

Alright guys I am starting to feel some Low Whistle Envy :(
Prairie4dude
Tell us something.: I am somewhat new to the Irish whistle, and am interested in improving my technique and getting a bit more up-to-speed on the instrument. My background is that of a recorder player, and I have had to make some technical adjustments when switching to the whistle, but it's been a fun journey thus far. Currently, I play a Killarney high D, an MK Pro low D, a Goldie alto F, and two Goldfinch whistles (high D and alto G).

Post by Prairie4dude »

When I started playing the low D (MK Pro), I was under the impression (from what I'd read and heard from others), that it was more or less "restricted" to slower tunes, because of the higher air (volume) requirement. But I must say I've been impressed by some folks I've seen on YouTube who can really rock a low D on faster tunes as well. Very inspiring stuff!
Windyonehundred
Tell us something.: I really enjoy playing various stringed instruments as well as flute, sax, trumpet and some whistle. I have been lurking and find most questions are already answered but figure its time to register and support the forum.

Post by Windyonehundred »

Would you say it requires more or less air than a Buke Low D? Can you compare the air requirements to other low D whistles?
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Windyonehundred wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:57 pm Would you say it requires more or less air than a Buke Low D? Can you compare the air requirements to other low D whistles?
To my knowledge Burkes are known for being bad on air use. MK's I think are good on air. But I havnet played a Burke low D (I had a low F and have alto A still).

My Burke F used more air than my MK D which really bugged me. It uses significantly more air than the Alto A. So F or G gets a big jump up in windway height. And windway height is one of the most important factors in air use. Double the height at the same width, and you use way more air. The F windway is taller and wider than the A. MK low D on the other hand isnt tall or wide.

Whats interesting. I got a Reyburn low F and it uses more air than my Reyburn low D. Which I didnt expect. It has a much taller windway. Which is the same issues the burke F has. So theres a chance that a Burke low D actually uses less air than the low F just like the Reyburn. Which would be closer to an MK D. If anyone has played both a Burke and Mk D feel free to fill me in. Also if anyone has played a Burke low D and F, id love to know how they compare on air use.

Sorry that my info is kidna useless and is mostly speculation. hopefully someone can give more intelligent info haha.