Paddy Moloney RIP

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Paddy Moloney RIP

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

Flywhistler

Re: Paddy Moloney RIP

Post by Flywhistler »

A huge loss, not only to Irish traditional music but to all music.
Paul Patrick

Post by Paul Patrick »

A sad loss indeed. Thanks for sharing the music, Paddy.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

:cry:
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

My brain hurts

PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

McMahon probably disdained Moloney? Maybe not, but Moloney departed from "guys playing in the farmhouse kitchen" in multiple ways. It's interesting that he came out of, as far as I know, not just Leo Rowsome but O'Riada's Irish national music aspirations and Garech Browne's 60's jet set hippie cosmopolitanism. The parade of guest artists gets a little contrived but I like the way he arranged tunes, and gave different members of the band a chance to have a go at it. I saw the Chieftains several times and while it was clearly an act, he conveyed a powerful sense of love for music itself and of the different forms it could take. He was to my mind quite great musician and he had a marvelous career.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I don't think MacMahon disdained Moloney. He probably disdained some of his collaborations and commercial exploits but as far as I remember the two entered a duet competition together, possibly the Oireachtas, and won it too. They went back a long way.

I saw the Chieftains several times during the seventies and once shortly after Molloy joined them. I sort of lost interest, or redirected my interests elsewhere, after Chieftains five or so. They were never quite the same without Potts and Tubridy.

Moloney was capable of great subtle music but I often thought he should perhaps have kept some of the more exuberant aspects of his musical persona in check a bit. But all that stuff, the showmanship and all that, was part of the deal and that was fine too.
My brain hurts

chas

Post by chas »

When a musician passes, I often listen to all of their music that I own. I did that with the Chieftains today. This was five of the first seven plus a few others.

Along the lines of the previous couple of posts, I lost interest in them when they started doing all the stuff with guests. But listening to the early albums today, I was stuck with the the same thing as PB+J -- I'm really enjoying the arrangements, with the different players trading off melody.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

RTE repeated this documentary on Wednesday:

Paddy Moloney, chieftain

A nice portrait, worth watching.
My brain hurts

Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

RTE will be celebrating the life of the late Paddy Moloney tonight:

Celebrating a chieftain: Paddy Moloney ar Chloch le Carn

Added, direct link on rte player:

Cloch le Carn Paddy Moloney
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:16 am I sort of lost interest, or redirected my interests elsewhere, after Chieftains Five or so. They were never quite the same without Potts and Tubridy.
Ditto here. However with Molloy they gained another brilliant showman, who could dazzle audiences.

I've always been a huge fan of Michael Tubridy. Part of it was the fluting I learned from his cousin Ray Tubridy, who came to live in California.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

However with Molloy they gained another brilliant showman, who could dazzle audiences.
That was perhaps the problem. I went to see the Chietains shortly after Molloy joined them. High expectations and all that. When he came to his solo piece he did the City of Savannah. It put me off completely. That sort of thing really doesn't do it for me.

I saw both Molloy and Mick Tubridy during the same weekend two or three weeks ago. Molloy was pretty laid back, playing with John Carty. Beyond the need to dazzle or impress perhaps. Or a setting where it wasn't needed.

Enjoyed both but still prefer Mick Tubridy's music. Mick is a real gentleman who will never try to dazzle you.

My brain hurts

ytliek

Post by ytliek »

Sad news. Thank you for posting obit and photos.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

In all I have to think he might have been the most important Irish traditional musician ever. I suppose you could argue that the Chieftains were not really traditional, and the parade of guest artists get pretty trite, but from his work with Seán Ó Riada and Ceoltóirí Chualann to something that probably does not get enough attention, his work for Claddagh records, he had a huge impact. Add the Chieftains to that. I suppose you could also argue global fame is not the be all and end all, I'd probably agree, but global fame is not the whole story