Lir whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Hauke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm an old folkie, play some instruments and made some own things, like different genres and play scottish and Irish music for over 30 years.

Re: Lir whistles

Post by Hauke »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Sat Feb 26, 2022 3:09 am
I play the whistle since about 30 years. Not as main instrument, but yes, I think I know how to whistle and modulate a tone.
OK, I had only the recording you posted to go by. But I will stick to my point.
Yeah, sooo sorry. :lol: I didn't play for some time and just wrote the tune some days ago. So it's too fast for me and a lousy recording. No time for practicing. :oops:
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

I get the point in people practicing with what they have, but its also unreasonable to expect people to not want to find their ideal instrument. There are some people out there who think that their problem is completely the instrument, and in that case they just need to learn to play. But for the rest of us who are already playing and improving, there's no reason to not find our ideal whistle. Or at least try to. There's so many makers out there with their own whistle 'recipes' for a reason. Good music can be made on most of them, but if you have the money to try others and want to, theres no reason not to. Playing other things is good experience, and helps to appreciate the benefits some have that others dont. Most of us want out music to be as good as we can make it. and one part of that is having the instrument we play the best on.
Hauke
Tell us something.: I'm an old folkie, play some instruments and made some own things, like different genres and play scottish and Irish music for over 30 years.

Post by Hauke »

I agree completely, Narzog.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

This conversation has been had, a few times at least, in the past. I am not sure I want to go there all over again.

I think there's a consensus here the ideal whistle does not exist. Any whistle is at best a series of compromises we have to live with. To make the best out of playing any instrument you will have to know intimately how it responds and what it will do when you ask something of it. To reach that point you will have to spend time with it. A lot of time. Once you get to a certain level, you will have built skills that are transferable to another whistle because you are now fully in control of your breath and fingers. Jumping from one whistle to the next while learning, especially if you do so when a whistle doesn't immediately respond to your playing the way you want and you go search for a whislte that does, you do not get to hone those skills, you are very likely to become a Jack of all whistles.
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Sun Feb 27, 2022 9:51 am ... you are very likely to become a Jack of all whistles.
... and master of none, if it needs to be said.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

But the argument goes both ways. Someone who only plays one whistle to 'master whistle playing, and not master a specific whistle' just mastered playing one whistle and may have a harder time playing others than someone who can play several whistles by different makers in different keys.

There's a line obviously. Doing one thing takes time away from another. If I'm practicing whistle I'm not practicing guitar. But thats two totally different skills. Playing different whistles gives appreciation to the different whistle characteristics. Switching between my Hard blowing Reyburn low D to my not hard blowing high C, takes seconds to adjust. Playing one still improves my play on another.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Read the post above again:
To reach that point you will have to spend time with it. A lot of time. Once you get to a certain level, you will have built skills that are transferable to another whistle because you are now fully in control of your breath and fingers.
You complain often about whistles that squeak in your hands. You get rid of them and move on. But squeaks are driver's error. They are caused by poor breath control and/or poor fingering. By moving on you avoid working at developing the skills needed to play these whistles well. And in the process deny yourself the pleasure of playing more nimble and responsive instruments.

See the point I am making?

I 'll leave it at that, enough of this.
My brain hurts

Hauke

Post by Hauke »

When I don't want to buy another whistle, it must be the right one for now.
That's my point and I'm at this point.
That's it.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Hauke wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:47 pm Okay.
This is recorded today with my Lír whistle.
Wrote it about two weeks ago.

https://soundcloud.com/global-player/ro ... al_sharing
Nice tune.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Hauke

Post by Hauke »

Tommy wrote: Fri May 20, 2022 6:30 pm
Hauke wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:47 pm Okay.
This is recorded today with my Lír whistle.
Wrote it about two weeks ago.

https://soundcloud.com/global-player/ro ... al_sharing
Nice tune.
Thank you so much. 😊