Lir whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
The Sporting Pitchfork
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Lir whistles

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Huh... I'm just seeing this now. I ordered a Bb and a C whistle from them a couple of weeks ago and received them in the Western US a little more than a week later along with a nice thank-you note.

I'm mostly a piper and flute player and don't play whistles much these days, but I like a good C whistle, and I wanted to see if I could find a Bb that was a bit more focused and air-efficient than some of the others I've owned/tried over the years. Still haven't played them all that much yet, but I'm pretty pleased with them.

Hope my experience with dealing with Lír is more typical going forward...
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Hauke wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:49 pm
I want to send it back and get refund. But no answer. There are ten days to send it back but there's also no address to find.
I don't think their return policy (ten days and we decide if we take it back) is in line with EU consumer protection law with regard to online purchases. You have a right to change your mind and return goods, no questions asked. AFAIK there's a two week window but best check that.

Weren't they working out of a music shop in Castlebar? There's an address and phone number online for that.
My brain hurts

Hauke
Tell us something.: I'm an old folkie, play some instruments and made some own things, like different genres and play scottish and Irish music for over 30 years.

Post by Hauke »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:38 am
Hauke wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 1:49 pm
I want to send it back and get refund. But no answer. There are ten days to send it back but there's also no address to find.
Aren't they working out of Castlebar? There's this page with phonenumber, an address is listed on that site as well. Probably best to try a call and take it from there.
Yes, Mr. Gumby, I found this page, too and wrote a mail a few days ago. No reaction until now.
Thank you. :)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Following up on my previous post, here is some useful information:

Consumer rights shopping online

You have 14 days to change your mind and return your item and it's not at Lir's discretion(as they state on their website) whether or not they accept the return . Don't let them tell you otherwise. Giving you their address on purchase is a legal requirement.

You could also look into recouping your payment, depending on how you paid.

Here's another website, covering pretty much the same Citizens information Ireland, shopping online
My brain hurts

Hauke
Tell us something.: I'm an old folkie, play some instruments and made some own things, like different genres and play scottish and Irish music for over 30 years.

Post by Hauke »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:31 am Here is some useful information:

Consumer rights shopping online

You have 14 days to change your mind and return your item and it's not at Lir's discretion(as they state on their websire) whether or not they accept the return . Don't let them tell you otherwise. Giving you their address on purchase is a legal requirement.

You could also look into recouping your payment, depending on how you paid.

Here's another website, covering pretty much the same Citizens information Ireland, shopping online
Mr. Gumby.
Thank you soooo much.
This is very helpful.

And now the update.
I just received a mail from Seán (Lír) to tell me I'd get 50% refund without sending the whistle back.
That was my other offer. Full refund and sending it back or 50% and I'll keep it.
Nevertheless I don't know if I would order anything from the shop again.
Hauke
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Good to hear that's sorted.

The website I posted above clearly states:
Under European Union consumer legislation, traders are required to indicate their geographic address on the website on the online marketplace where they sell from.
It's probably sensible to avoid traders who do not fulfill this requirement. Even if they do so out of ignorance of their legal obligations, which in itself should raise a caveat emptor.
My brain hurts

Hauke

Post by Hauke »

You are right.
There are several other brands. I'll try other whistles instead. The Lír isn't well balanced. Okay, better than my cheap ones. But in my opinion not worth 85€.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Being able to keep it and get 50% refund is really weird. That makes me think they are being very mass produced for cheap. Or their sales are going down and they are trying to keep some of the profit.
Hauke wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 9:55 am You are right.
There are several other brands. I'll try other whistles instead. The Lír isn't well balanced. Okay, better than my cheap ones. But in my opinion not worth 85€.
While there's a lot of people on this forum who love the cheap ones, I'm not one of those people. So I totally get what you mean, they are really far from what I want, and many makers feel the same way, and have made whistles that feel much different. Trying to find your perfect whistle is worth it. Theres something about having a whistle that feels like the perfect recipe, or as close to perfect as it can get, that feels amazing. Different people will have different tastes in what's perfect, which is also why people like the cheap ones. Although there's some traits I feel like are just bad, like getting raspy when pushed, clogging, super sharp squeaks, etc. So while I don't feel like all whistles are made equal, it still comes down to what you want.

If you can give some more detail on what you don't like about the Lir, and what you were hoping for, we may be able to guess what you would like more.

Some example's: does it overblow too easily, or too hard? Does it use too much air or too little? Does it feel too stuffy or too breathy? How does the tuning feel? Define "isnt well balanced" Etc. These should help give a good idea of what you want.
Hauke

Post by Hauke »

Thank you for your large explanation.
Yes, I'll try, but it's not really easy in a foreign language.
The low d and e need low air pressure. These two tones overblow very fast. f# to c# feel like all my other whistles. Then high d to g need the same pressure, and high a and b too much more. And these tones are so much louder than the ones below. In my feeling, in my ears, in my opinion not good balance. I want to record a new tune of mine soon. But with this whistle I'm afraid that the high notes burn the rest of my instrumentation to ashes. When I blow some minutes longer (warm whistle), the high g and a squeeze, the clear and nice tone is gone. The tone itself is warm and fine. I like it. But the longer I play, the more breath noise I hear. Not nice. The tuning seems okay. Not perfect, but okay. But... better than other and cheaper whistles.
Some hours after getting the refund I'm glad to have and keep it. For about 40€. I'd purchase it for 50, but 85?? Never. Now I ordered a Killarney d and want to compare. Perhaps I'd like to try Dixon and Chieftain some day.
It's a long and expensive way, I know. But I'm sure it's worth it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Hauke wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:40 pm ...burn...to ashes.
If you don't mind, I think I'll borrow that expression. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Hauke wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:40 pm Thank you for your large explanation.
Yes, I'll try, but it's not really easy in a foreign language.
The low d and e need low air pressure. These two tones overblow very fast. f# to c# feel like all my other whistles. Then high d to g need the same pressure, and high a and b too much more. And these tones are so much louder than the ones below. In my feeling, in my ears, in my opinion not good balance. I want to record a new tune of mine soon. But with this whistle I'm afraid that the high notes burn the rest of my instrumentation to ashes. When I blow some minutes longer (warm whistle), the high g and a squeeze, the clear and nice tone is gone. The tone itself is warm and fine. I like it. But the longer I play, the more breath noise I hear. Not nice. The tuning seems okay. Not perfect, but okay. But... better than other and cheaper whistles.
Some hours after getting the refund I'm glad to have and keep it. For about 40€. I'd purchase it for 50, but 85?? Never. Now I ordered a Killarney d and want to compare. Perhaps I'd like to try Dixon and Chieftain some day.
It's a long and expensive way, I know. But I'm sure it's worth it.
I get what your saying. You seem to have similar taste to me in whistles. I don't like when the overblow too easy. It makes the low end super weak, and then compared to the high notes, has a huge volume imbalance. The high notes will always be louder on a whistle, but easy overblowing ones its too extreme and bugs me. I've also played some that overblow softly in the low end then take too much push and are super loud in the high end. Definitely not my ideal.

If the tone is getting worse as you play it could be moisture related. Look up the tooth paste fix for whistles. It may help. If you are getting moisture globs just sitting in the windway, it can mess up the tone, make it raspy, etc.

Hopefully you like the Killarney, I've played neither so I don't know how they will compare. I mostly play low whistles. But, I think you would probobly like a burke. I've only played Burkes in low A and low F, so I havent played a high D. Maybe you can try to pick up a used one, then if you dont like it you can re sell it for no loss. Burkes have a strong lower end. They are a bit loud in the high end, but because the low end is strong, the volume balance feels really good. The push balance feels right to me, not too hard to overblow, and only a bit hard for the very top of the high end, but not too hard. And their tuning is excellent, super easy to play in tune. You could also consider an Alba. I've only played the low F but it also takes a good push in the low end with great tuning and tone. Susato also usually have a good low end and excellent tuning, and are more affordable than the others I just mentioned. Dixon, will likely have the same weak low end issue as the Lir. I have a dixon d trad, its nice overall but not a strong low end.
Hauke

Post by Hauke »

Nanohedron wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:36 pm
Hauke wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:40 pm ...burn...to ashes.
If you don't mind, I think I'll borrow that expression. :thumbsup:
You're welcome. :thumbsup: :)
Hauke

Post by Hauke »

Narzog wrote: Fri Feb 18, 2022 4:50 pm I get what your saying. You seem to have similar taste to me in whistles. I don't like when the overblow too easy. It makes the low end super weak, and then compared to the high notes, has a huge volume imbalance. The high notes will always be louder on a whistle, but easy overblowing ones its too extreme and bugs me. I've also played some that overblow softly in the low end then take too much push and are super loud in the high end. Definitely not my ideal.

If the tone is getting worse as you play it could be moisture related. Look up the tooth paste fix for whistles. It may help. If you are getting moisture globs just sitting in the windway, it can mess up the tone, make it raspy, etc.

Hopefully you like the Killarney, I've played neither so I don't know how they will compare. I mostly play low whistles. But, I think you would probobly like a burke. I've only played Burkes in low A and low F, so I havent played a high D. Maybe you can try to pick up a used one, then if you dont like it you can re sell it for no loss. Burkes have a strong lower end. They are a bit loud in the high end, but because the low end is strong, the volume balance feels really good. The push balance feels right to me, not too hard to overblow, and only a bit hard for the very top of the high end, but not too hard. And their tuning is excellent, super easy to play in tune. You could also consider an Alba. I've only played the low F but it also takes a good push in the low end with great tuning and tone. Susato also usually have a good low end and excellent tuning, and are more affordable than the others I just mentioned. Dixon, will likely have the same weak low end issue as the Lir. I have a dixon d trad, its nice overall but not a strong low end.
Narzog, thank you very much.
I'll answer tomorrow.
:sleep:
Hauke

Post by Hauke »

I wiil try the Killarney and give a review. I wanted to order the nickel but unfortunately ordered the brass. Let's wait and see how it works. Especially in comparisation with the Lír.
I also ordered a Dixon untunable Irish flute. I played Flute before but not the irish. Never heared of Burke, but I'll look for it later.
Cheers. :)
Hauke

Post by Hauke »

"One-piece low D tapered-bore flute. The tapered bore gives these instruments a very responsive and solid tone, very noticeable particularly on the bottom notes."

This is what they say about the Dixon. So I expect it's well balanced. We'll see.
:thumbsup: