Lir whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ripleywm
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: 50 something piper interested in whistles. I live in NE Georgia in the USA. I started in Florida about 30 years ago, but I have had several long hiatuses. I've been playing seriously for about 3 years now.

Lir whistles

Post by ripleywm »

Anyone else experiencing difficulties getting deliveries from Lir? They promised they would ship on a certain day and did not. Also, not very responsive.
macuaig
Tell us something.: Played recorders at an intermediate level several decades ago, trumpet years before that. Exploring whistles, piano and guitar these days.

Re: Lir whistles

Post by macuaig »

Maybe they sent yours to yet another musician for yet another review video. Interesting business model.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

macuaig wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:25 pm Maybe they sent yours to yet another musician for yet another review video. Interesting business model.
All I know is that if I ever manage to get good enough at making whistles to sell them, I'm sending them to CutiePie and WhstleTutor. If they recommend them I'll be sold out instantly haha. Every review vid they do has tons of comments saying they just picked one up.
Naturalist
Tell us something.: I have been playing low whistle since 2003 and am interested in joining because I would like to be with a community of people who play the same instrument. I live in the United States and don't know anyone else who plays. My interest is to get better and just engage with this community.

Post by Naturalist »

I agree, CutiePie has done a lot for whistles with her Youtube channel.
TJD4
Tell us something.: I have been learning the whistle for around 3 years and I appreciate the C&F sites wealth of info from more experienced whistlers

Post by TJD4 »

I've been waiting over 2.5 months now and the delivery date they gave me passed nearly a month ago, the whistle was a gift and won't arrive in time now. If they have lots of orders it is understandable but the lack of communication is disappointing.
belayatron
Tell us something.: Been learning the tin whistle for just under 2 years (as of Jan 2020) and wanting to learn more! Currently own about 11 High D whistles, 2 Low Ds, 2 Flutes and favourite tune is probably off to California with a general love of Irish Hornpipes.

Post by belayatron »

There are lots of posts on the Facebook whistle forums (particularly “the Irish whistle” one) of people not receiving orders for many months (and communication stopping) and having to get their money back through PayPal from Lir.
TJD4
Tell us something.: I have been learning the whistle for around 3 years and I appreciate the C&F sites wealth of info from more experienced whistlers

Post by TJD4 »

Thanks belayatron good to know. I'll try and contact them again but but been getting no response at all
TJD4

Post by TJD4 »

Does anyone have a phone number for Lir Whistles as I am trying to contact them and can't get any response ? My order is months overdue, they told me weeks ago that it was posted and continue to but it hasn't been posted. Thanks
scottie

Post by scottie »

TJD4 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 4:48 am Does anyone have a phone number for Lir Whistles as I am trying to contact them and can't get any response ? My order is months overdue, they told me weeks ago that it was posted and continue to but it hasn't been posted. Thanks
No phone number listed on their web site which is something that gives me a red flag flying. They are suppose to have 24hr chat. If you can not get a response file a claim with the company you used to pay for the whistle. That usually will get their attention.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I'm pretty sure that this shop is behind Lir whistles. I'd ask them.
https://www.collinsmusic.ie/lir-info-page
AngelicBeaver
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistles since 2010. I love how varied whistles are in their design, construction, tone, and handling. Though I've largely settled on what I enjoy playing, I'm still a sucker for an interesting new design.

Post by AngelicBeaver »

Stephanie Price just posted an interview with a representative of Lir whistles. Earlier, she pulled her recommendation of them after all the issues surfaced with people not receiving their orders. According to them, it was an issue with a new electronic form that has now been resolved. They also say they've been dealing with supply issues coupled with a huge influx of new orders. I'd still like to know more about who they are and what their process is, but it seems that they're fixing the issues.

The interview:
youtube.com/watch?v=Jdb484Z2LP0
Last edited by AngelicBeaver on Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nathaniel James Dowell
macuaig
Tell us something.: Played recorders at an intermediate level several decades ago, trumpet years before that. Exploring whistles, piano and guitar these days.

Post by macuaig »

Very helpful interview, thanks for the link. Being new to tin whistles (played several other instruments in the past), I waited patiently for six months and just received D and A whistles a couple of weeks ago. I did eventually sour a bit at the silent delays, but that’s in my past now.

I now have whistles from several companies in different keys, and do appreciate their specific characteristics. But I will say that these Lirs are probably the most universal performers of the lot. Clean, healthy sound and attack, strong and easy into the third octave (huh, there’s a third octave?), impeccable construction, satisfying weight, balance & build, and I believe worth more than they cost. I’m very happy with these, and will be on the lookout for their low whistles in the future. I wish them the best of luck getting their business ramped up for the demand.
Hauke
Tell us something.: I'm an old folkie, play some instruments and made some own things, like different genres and play scottish and Irish music for over 30 years.

Post by Hauke »

Hey.
I received a lír whistle a week ago and I'm disappointed. It looks used and the mouthpiece has a cut.
I want to send it back and get refund. But no answer. There are ten days to send it back but there's also no address to find.
I'm sorry that I'm getting more and more angry about it.
Greets Hauke from Germany.
macuaig

Post by macuaig »

I’m surprised, and sorry to hear it. Sounds like their ramp up has a good way to go. I’d suggest you don’t have to worry about any 10 day return limit, since you’ve already sent the complaint. Did you order directly from Lir, or through a retail shop?
Hauke
Tell us something.: I'm an old folkie, play some instruments and made some own things, like different genres and play scottish and Irish music for over 30 years.

Post by Hauke »

Hi macuaig.
Yes, I hope so. Yeah, I sent more than one mail in some different ways. And right, I ordered directly from the Lír shop.
Thank you. :)