Used Dixon whistle prices

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Katharine
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Used Dixon whistle prices

Post by Katharine »

Hi everyone,
What are secondhand Dixon whistles going for these days? Specifically the brass high D (which I know isn't made anymore, so secondhand would be my only choice). I know they're good whistles so I don't imagine many people are selling them on. I've always fancied trying one, though, and they're on my "short list" as I consider a new (or new to me) whistle, so would be interested to know how much they tend to go for. (How are they on the upper octave? I love my Impempe high D, but it's just never going to be my daily player-- and I really did try-- because I find the top end a bit difficult.)

I tried searching "sold and old" for "Dixon brass" and it "ignored" the term "Dixon" so that left me with way too many results to sort through (73 pages or something like that, though I tried to go through some of the more recent ones. I'm sure Copelands are nice, but not what I was looking for...).
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Squeeky Elf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Used Dixon whistle prices

Post by Squeeky Elf »

I can't help you with the price, and mine won't be going up for sale, sorry. :) It's a very good sounding whistle imo, my favorite of the traditional sounding whistles that I own. I have several Dixons, and the ease and balance of the upper octaves on all of them is a big reason that they are among my favorites.
“Go not to the Elves for counsel, for they will say both no and yes.”
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I bought mine for about GBP17.50 brand new, wish you luck in finding one, but as above, I'm keeping mine, sorry. :D

P.S. Maybe look for 'Trad Brass' or 'Tony Dixon'.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

On the Irish Flute Store, they sold for between $50-75.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Thanks, everyone! Confirmed what I suspected-- they're as good as they're said to be! LOL (Yeah, I maybe should've bought one years ago, but I was happy with the whistle I had so I didn't need another... but then broke it, and now I need a new "go to" whistle.)

Are any of the other Dixons (nickel, for example) similar in sound? Not looking for the alloy version because it's a bit pricey for me, and not interested in the polymer versions (and it seems like that's mostly what they're going to making these days). I imagine the differences are probably subtle between the different models so maybe it doesn't really matter, but I like to imagine the claims that brass is more "mellow" or "rounded" than the "brighter" sounds of some other metals are true...
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Average Whistler
Tell us something.: Recovering Whistle Obsessive Acquisition Disorder sufferer. Started too late in life to be great, but good enough for my own enjoyment. Recently started learning Irish flute.

Post by Average Whistler »

Dixon's own website describes the brass as "sweeter" (I would say the nickel is brighter) but it's subtle. My main complaint is that the nickel can be slippery and I had to place a piece of cloth tape under my thumb.

I own the Dixon polymer D... it's a different sound altogether, not better or worse, but different. What I like about it is that it is always in tune, supports an in-tune OXX C-nat, and plays the G# and A# cross-fingerings in tune rather than requiring half-holing. Best of all, it doesn't set off the metal detectors at the airport and has become my go-to travel whistle. It's funny how airport security gets nervous about metal pipe-shaped objects in carry-on luggage...
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Most of a whistles tone is supposed to come from the mouthpiece and not the tube material. Obviously the tube material is still part of it. So as long as they didn't make a new mouthpiece you will still probobly like the nickel trad. And its much easier to get.

I bet if you put a big buy order out there someone would bite though. Someone's going to want to sell their spare whistle they got for $20 for $75-100.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Katharine wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:12 am .....Are any of the other Dixons (nickel, for example) similar in sound? Not looking for the alloy version because it's a bit pricey for me......
That's a shame, because it is a nice sounding whistle, & is tuneable. :)
Keith.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Average Whistler wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:44 am Dixon's own website describes the brass as "sweeter" (I would say the nickel is brighter) but it's subtle. My main complaint is that the nickel can be slippery and I had to place a piece of cloth tape under my thumb.

I own the Dixon polymer D... it's a different sound altogether, not better or worse, but different. What I like about it is that it is always in tune, supports an in-tune OXX C-nat, and plays the G# and A# cross-fingerings in tune rather than requiring half-holing. Best of all, it doesn't set off the metal detectors at the airport and has become my go-to travel whistle. It's funny how airport security gets nervous about metal pipe-shaped objects in carry-on luggage...
I've never really liked the sound of any polymer whistle I've heard. (I have a couple PVC whistles and they're okay, but not my favorites.) Sound is subjective (I cringed to use the word "mellow," lol), but most plastic whistles I've heard have a sound that is, to me, reminiscent of a recorder.

Narzog wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:40 am Most of a whistles tone is supposed to come from the mouthpiece and not the tube material. Obviously the tube material is still part of it. So as long as they didn't make a new mouthpiece you will still probobly like the nickel trad. And its much easier to get.

I bet if you put a big buy order out there someone would bite though. Someone's going to want to sell their spare whistle they got for $20 for $75-100.
In my experience, that's been true. I've tried a couple other whistle heads on the body of the one I broke (I broke a small plastic piece inside the head) and found that for the most part, they still sounded the same they did on the body of the whistle they originally came with.

(I'm sure someone would love to sell their whistle for baller bucks, but that's way too rich for my blood!)

fatmac wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:51 am
Katharine wrote: Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:12 am .....Are any of the other Dixons (nickel, for example) similar in sound? Not looking for the alloy version because it's a bit pricey for me......
That's a shame, because it is a nice sounding whistle, & is tuneable. :)
I've heard good things about it, but it would just be overkill for my purposes. I'm not a skilled player, mostly play for fun (and a bit at church, usually with other instruments, for people who don't know any better), so don't need a lot of whistle or to spend a ton. The former "go to" whistle that I broke was a Walton, so... (I replaced it with another but that one just isn't as good.)
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Tremendouz
Tell us something.: A low whistle player with more whistles than skill. Looking forward to improve... and acquire more whistles!

Post by Tremendouz »

Talking about Dixons, has anyone seen any non-D plastic low whistles on the used market or are people hesistant to sell theirs? They seem to be no longer manufactured and I have no idea how sought-after they are.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

I picked up a TD low 'G' ABS last year, but haven't seen any others advertised - I really like it, great tone & an easy player.
Keith.
Tremendouz
Tell us something.: A low whistle player with more whistles than skill. Looking forward to improve... and acquire more whistles!

Post by Tremendouz »

fatmac wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:47 am I picked up a TD low 'G' ABS last year, but haven't seen any others advertised - I really like it, great tone & an easy player.
Lucky! I'm currently trying to find that exact key. Wondering how its sound and playability compares to the alloy one. I love the sound of the plastic low D and if it was possible I'd buy a set of that kind of whistle in different keys haha
JackJ
Tell us something.: A new tin whistle player, I'm eager to learn more from the collective wisdom of this group. While my playing could use lots of help, I'm especially eager to learn which recordings to listen to.

Post by JackJ »

Anyone know what's behind Dixon downsizing their whistle line? I wouldn't be surprised if demand is at issue for low polymer whistles other than D, but I would have thought the Brass Trad was among their better selling models.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

What makes extra little sense is that their mouthpieces are molded. So there's not really any reason they cant have a brass body and a nickel body, and plastic bodies. They stick the same mouthpieces on them. So my only guess is whatever way they use to mass produce them, its easier to have them make less versions.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I believe the reason given, was the appropriate brass tubing became hard or impossible to obtain.
My brain hurts