Whistle advice

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
smithjdennis
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Tin whistle player of only a couple years. Long time lurker. I play music full time in a trad celtic quartet in Canada.

Whistle advice

Post by smithjdennis »

Hi community,
I've been lurking for a while but never sought advice yet. I've been cruising lots of threads gleaning partial answers to my question but I'm hoping posting my very specific question/needs might garner some gems of answers. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I've been playing for just 2 years now, and I'm looking for a C-whistle. I started on Susato Killdare's and eventually bought a Burke D wide without having played it (largely due to opinions on this forum). It did not dissapoint and I have been very happy with it. However, on the rare occasions I require a C-whistle, I have still been using my susato and I'm really not happy with it at all - and even less happy with it after playing a Burke. So I'm looking to buy a new C-whistle. There are no whistle stores anywhere near me, so having the opportunity to play several models isn't possible. I'm also not quite ready to buy another Burke (even though I know I would love it) because I use my C so infrequently.

What I really would like is:
- Session volume. Somewhere between Burke D wide and Susato Killdare volume would be ideal
- Not plastic
- Something less "airy/hissy" than Dixon DX006 brass.
- Not mass-made.
- Less dear than a Burke.
- Available for purchase by mail on the north american continent.

Thanks for any tips or advice!
CAMcClellan
Tell us something.: I’m here because I have fallen in love with the sound of the whistle. I play other instruments, but not in public anymore. For me, I play music because I can’t not play music.

Re: Whistle advice

Post by CAMcClellan »

I’m new as can be, but I’m wondering about a Syn. The C in my set is wonderful. And loud. And not breathy at all.
Darth Corpulent
Sith Lord of Tacos
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

American whistle makers I know of are Burke, Reyburn, and Tilbury. and you can buy Syn in stock from the irish flute store. I'm assuming theres others, these are some more reputable ones.

Tilbury is much easier to overblow than a Burke giving a weaker low end. Not my style.

Syn I haven't played but I've heard its a bit on the harder to over blow side, so possibly similar to a Burke. I've wanted to try one of these.

Reyburn are nice, I love my G. But I have no idea how a C would play. The G I have is a small bore, thats a bit quieter. But the C probobly isnt a small bore. So I'm not sure how the other play compared to my G. These are on the pricier side tho. But worth it if you like it.

Define "less dear than a Burke"
CAMcClellan
Tell us something.: I’m here because I have fallen in love with the sound of the whistle. I play other instruments, but not in public anymore. For me, I play music because I can’t not play music.

Post by CAMcClellan »

Out if the collection I have amassed so far, I would say the Syn is the hardest to accidentally overblow.
Darth Corpulent
Sith Lord of Tacos
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I like my Thunderbird C. It's mass made however. And no longer available. Maybe a "Busker" in C then?
https://www.kerrywhistles.com/product-p ... le-whistle
maiingan
Tell us something.: Hi;
I have an Oak high D, Generation Bb, Dixon Alto A, Tilbury Low G, Humphrey low F and a Howard low D.

Post by maiingan »

smithjdennis wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:41 pm Hi community,
I've been lurking for a while but never sought advice yet. I've been cruising lots of threads gleaning partial answers to my question but I'm hoping posting my very specific question/needs might garner some gems of answers. Thanks in advance for any advice.

I've been playing for just 2 years now, and I'm looking for a C-whistle. I started on Susato Killdare's and eventually bought a Burke D wide without having played it (largely due to opinions on this forum). It did not dissapoint and I have been very happy with it. However, on the rare occasions I require a C-whistle, I have still been using my susato and I'm really not happy with it at all - and even less happy with it after playing a Burke. So I'm looking to buy a new C-whistle. There are no whistle stores anywhere near me, so having the opportunity to play several models isn't possible. I'm also not quite ready to buy another Burke (even though I know I would love it) because I use my C so infrequently.

What I really would like is:
- Session volume. Somewhere between Burke D wide and Susato Killdare volume would be ideal
- Not plastic
- Something less "airy/hissy" than Dixon DX006 brass.
- Not mass-made.
- Less dear than a Burke.
- Available for purchase by mail on the north american continent.

Thanks for any tips or advice!
I have a Low F from Gary Humphrey. I really like it and he is state side. You can hear a professional playing them here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbqD7l ... YWtyhRx8vg
He sells all key ranges low to high as well as brass and aluminum. It's not hissy, hand made and the higher the key the lower the price.
Stay safe and hopefully healthy;

Patti
et succendam sibilus (blow the whistle) :thumbsup:
smithjdennis
Tell us something.: Tin whistle player of only a couple years. Long time lurker. I play music full time in a trad celtic quartet in Canada.

Post by smithjdennis »

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies!

Syn is new to me, wasn't on my radar at all. For those that own them, have you noticed a unique buzz? And would it be better described as charcterful or slightly annoying? It's mentioned in several reviews here and elsewhere.

Bit confused about syn as he apparently has a new line called "black diamond" out but I can't find much info on it.

Considering

- The syn, with a bit more thought put into the buzz
- Kerry busker. Sounds lovely and price is significantly lower than Burke.
- Reyburn. The aluminum sounds good to my ear though this is roughly the same price as a Burke so perhaps not.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

A forum search may help. The Black Diamond was launched in 2005 and attracted a fair bit of comment over time, although perhaps not recently.

Search: Black diamond
My brain hurts

maiingan
Tell us something.: Hi;
I have an Oak high D, Generation Bb, Dixon Alto A, Tilbury Low G, Humphrey low F and a Howard low D.

Post by maiingan »

the whistle tutor has a you tube clip going over whistles from Michael Burke, John Sindt, Michael Copeland, Gary Humphrey, Killarney, Wild, Feadog, Clarke, Sweetone, and Generation https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1Ktda6MNHU
Stay safe and hopefully healthy;

Patti
et succendam sibilus (blow the whistle) :thumbsup:
CAMcClellan

Post by CAMcClellan »

There’s no buzz that I’ve noticed in my Syn set. They are fairly high backpressure, which I like. To me, they have a fairly smooth sound. When I first got them, the adjectives that kept coming to mind were creamy and thick.

This is in fairly direct comparison with a Faedog C, a Dixon Trad D, and a Dixon Pro D. The tone is certainly closer to the Dixon Pro, which I would describe as sweet, than it is to the others, which are more of that thinner classic sound. The Bb body on the Syn is the complete opposite of my Generation Bb, as well.
Darth Corpulent
Sith Lord of Tacos
fiddlerwill
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

I cant recommend the whistle of Olivier Bouchard highly enough, " the perfect whistle" was a quote from a piper friend of mine, I agree. Brass body boxwood head. Pure warm tone. My favourite whistle is one of hid C's so much so i bought a 2nd in case i ever lost the first. Which in fact i did one day in the canaries. Funnily enough a month or 2 later a friend in Clare rang me and said some friends of hers in canaries,On a different island had a friend who had found it!!they Recognised the felted whistles cases i make, in any colour combination..... so i got it back!!
Seriously, hand made to perfection, the whistles that is, the cases im still perfecting the design ;-)
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs