Mellow easy to play whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
thx712517
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've always been a string instrument player but I always wanted to learn bagpipes. My lips were too weak to form a seal. Lately I've been interested in wind instruments that are similar keys to the bagpipes.

Mellow easy to play whistle?

Post by thx712517 »

Hey all! I've got a Freeman Mellow Dog and it's fun, but compared to an inexpensive Native American Flute I tried recently (made out of a river cane) it's a lot more piercing.

Is it just the difference between a high D and an F# minor key, or a brass body and plastic head versus a cane? A fipple versus the Native American Flute's admittedly more complex system?

Chasing that mellow warm sound!
RoberTunes
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Re: Mellow easy to play whistle?

Post by RoberTunes »

A First Nations flute has such a different design than most standard "Irish" style whistles that finding a close match
in the whistle group could be very tough in the high keys. I'd suggest brands like Shearwater and Reviol, maybe Alba,
Kerry Optima or Busker, and only in the lower keys of A on downward. There's no way it's a close match, but some
whistles have very rich tonal texture.

No doubt you'll find some whistles you like in the keys of G and F, and low D and low C should be too easy, because they have the large bore and air volume that is more of a
parallel to the First Nations style flutes.

I've got both and I'm glad I tried out the cedar and wood flutes of that design. They are very special instruments, they take me away. I bought a few recordings by
R. Carlos Nakai and a few other artists on that style instrument and love them.

Tip: when buying a First Nations style flute, buy from an established maker (lots of them online), and not an some import/tourist store
that might carry one or two. It's worth the little extra to get a whistle from a real expert firmly in the tradition. :thumbsup: