Good bang-for-the-buck Low-G

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
learn2turn
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

Good bang-for-the-buck Low-G

Post by learn2turn »

I'm a novice so I don't need anything fancy but I thought it might be nice to add a low-G to the growing collection. Don't want to spend a ton of $$$ but would like something tunable.

Any recommendations?

-l2t
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Re: Good bang-for-the-buck Low-G

Post by Polara Pat »

I have a fixed alto G and F en route from Shearwater. They offer tuneable as well for an extra cost but prices seem very reasonable and they were great to deal with. Obviously can't give a review on the whistles until they are in my hot hands but the consensus has been positive. http://www.shearwaterwhistles.com/
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

+1 for Shearwater, also Tony Dixon.

I've had my Shearwater low F for some time now, great whistle for the price, easy player.
I have a pre used Tony Dixon ABS low G, another easy playing great whistle, also have their Trad Brass low G too.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

I've heard Dixon low G are extremely easy to overblow. Not 100% if this is true, haven't got one myself. But would keep it in mind. But I think its the Bb head on a longer tube so it would be expected behavior.

I havent played a shearwater but have heard pretty much nothing but good about them. If you want to go hand made is prob the best option.

The other bang for buck option is Nightingale. I believe its on the easier to overblow side aswell but maybe less so than the dixon. I've played their A whistle. Tone and tuning were good.

Freeman tweaked low G is also supposed to be good. Once again, a Bb head on long tube. Which isnt my style so I've never tried one (I like a strong low end). Probably the cheapest option.

I feel like most others the price is a big jump up.

I'll link them because its hard to find the store because its not english default. You can use google translate or switch to English at the bottom. Significantly better deal than the ebay store or hobgoblin which google will most likely bring you to.
https://shamanic.ru/muzykalnye-instrume ... -karavaev/
Tremendouz
Tell us something.: A low whistle player with more whistles than skill. Looking forward to improve... and acquire more whistles!

Post by Tremendouz »

I haven't played their low G myself but Goldfinch makes great whistles. The G isn't listed on the website but it exists if you request it. It seems very good according to a video I watched.