Carbony Leading vs.Mezzo?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
sablemist
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I would like to update my email address in my profile. I had been away from playing Irish music, but I've taken up an interest again. I originally created my profile using an email address I rarely use. So I would like to update it if I am able to.

Carbony Leading vs.Mezzo?

Post by sablemist »

I am purchasing a Carbony A whistle, and I'm not sure whether to buy the Leading whistle, or the Mezzo version. I played a little several years ago, and I'm still very new at this. So I don't know that I need the seventh hole. I just wondered if anyone recommends one over the other, overall? Thank you in advance, I appreciate your feedback.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Re: Carbony Leading vs.Mezzo?

Post by Narzog »

To my knowledge the 7th hole will make your low A note weaker. Because hole size effects volume, and the 7th hole has to be small. So instead of all holes covered stronger low A note you will get a weaker 6 holes covered note. every now and then I find a song that could make use of a 7 hole whistle but for everything else I'd rather just have 6. I feel like if the 7 hole was really nice more makers would do them. Just my 2 cents.
sablemist
Tell us something.: I would like to update my email address in my profile. I had been away from playing Irish music, but I've taken up an interest again. I originally created my profile using an email address I rarely use. So I would like to update it if I am able to.

Post by sablemist »

Thank you for the reply. I really wasn't sure which to order, but that is interesting, especially that most whistles don't come with the seventh hole. I would prefer one that plays more softly, and I think you're saying that possibly the one with the extra hole might do that.
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

sablemist wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:11 pm Thank you for the reply. I really wasn't sure which to order, but that is interesting, especially that most whistles don't come with the seventh hole. I would prefer one that plays more softly, and I think you're saying that possibly the one with the extra hole might do that.
Nope, that's not what Narzog is saying. What Narzog means is that what would be the bottom (bell) note on a "normal" whistle may be made quieter on a 7 hole whistle. I don't know whether that would be the case, but the bell note is not one of those that would concern you with high volume on any whistle.

If you want a quieter whistle, buy a quieter whistle; a 7th hole won't help in that regard.

On the 7 hole thing generally, I've never felt the urge. In fact for the great majority of my life it was never an option or even thought of. Of course I have to mention that I play a mixture of music from the English/Scottish/Irish and related traditions, both dance music, songs and airs. There may of course be some kind of music that really benefits from a 7th hole, but I have no idea what it might be.

It strikes me as a thing that has been occasionally requested from makers, and some of them have decided to offer them to "turn a buck." Of course I don't blame them, they need to make a living.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Adding to what Ecadre is saying, the loud notes on a whistle are the higher ones, like your upper second octave. Having a strong low end just makes the lower notes 'less quieter', but they will still be quieter than the high ones. Like on my burke A. Burkes are loud. But the low end is strong so the volume gap between high and low is less extreme, than on a whistle with a weak low end. Which have a super quiet low end but then a still loud high end. So havign a week low A wont make the loud high notes any less loud.

So if you are going for quiet I'd do some research on if Carbony are quiet enough for you, and if not, what is.

My logic on why I think the low A note will be weaker on the 7 holes, is the same reason the xxx xxo note on "easy" spacing whistles are noticeably weaker. By easy spacing, I mean ones that have an extra small hole to make the finger spacing gap smaller. When you have a decently sized hole the volume is fine. But when its super small theres more volume difference. The 7 hole whistles the 7th hole is usually this tiny little pinky hole. So I'd expect a weaker note from it.
JackJ
Tell us something.: A new tin whistle player, I'm eager to learn more from the collective wisdom of this group. While my playing could use lots of help, I'm especially eager to learn which recordings to listen to.

Post by JackJ »

I've got a leading tone Carbony in D -- high D, not low. It's the standard bore, not the louder session bore. When I got it I had the opportunity to compare it to the non-leading tone version of the same whistle, and didn't notice a significant difference in the bell tone volume.

The 7th hole gives you two different functions--playing the C# (or G# on an A whistle) with all seven holes covered, obviously. But also doing rolls and pats on the bell note the same way you would on most other notes. Of course it takes practice to get the normally idle pinky finger adept at this. But it's a nice ornamentation option to have, once you're able to use it.

Grey Larsen has sounds clips of many of the different versions of the Carbony on his site: https://greylarsen.com/webstore/tin-whistles/

He's a retailer of this brand and of course an extremely skilled player. You might ask him his opinion on the leading tones--he's been very helpful to me on various topics.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I have the leading tone session version. And a "quiet" normal Carbony to compare. The bell note is not weaker, apart from the fact that the bell note is a bit weak anyways on both because of the conical design, I assume.
The session version is not that much louder but the tone is much purer. My main problem with the extra hole however is that I normally rest my pinky on the whistle and it sometimes accidentally covers the extra hole. One reasion I rarely play it. But the husband of one of my cousins who is into medieval music loves it because of the extra note on the bottom which is very useful for the type of music he plays.
About Carbony whistles in general -- I think they are the best that money can buy if you are looking for a more "traditional" whistle considering sound and playing characteristics. They are probably on the other end of the spectrum from a Goldie or something along that lines.
preacher
Tell us something.: I am in my 70s and played music since fourth grade. Paid gigs include everything starting with church solos in 4th grade, nightclubs starting 9th grade, and worship ministry. Had a 29 year career teaching high school music both choral and instrumental. I've played several instruments starting with trumpet as my main ax. I added flute, sax and keys after college. Early 2000s whistles were added to my arsenal. I'm back to playing again after a 5 year hiatus.

Post by preacher »

I purchased a Carbony Mezzo A this year and love it. In fact I have been accumulating more of these in various keys. I don’t know if it will meet your requirement for a “soft” whistle. I got mine to play in a loud environment but it can also be played softly as well. It’s something I really enjoy about Carbony. You can really push them to cut through high volume sound mixes that I am in. I got the Carbony A to replace a Dixon A which plays nice but doesn’t have the ability to cut through like the Carbony. I’m weighing whether to keep or sell the Dixon. I do like the sound of it