low whistles vs tenor recorder finger spacing

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
glacier
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a clarinetist/silver flute player just getting into Irish music. I play Greek/Turkish/Balkan in addition to classical.

low whistles vs tenor recorder finger spacing

Post by glacier »

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere- I did a quick forum search and didn't come up with anything.

In general, what low whistle would have the approximate finger spacing/spread as tenor recorder? I do realize there's variation between makers, and that life is happier playing piper's grip on low whistles, which is fine. Just sussing the relative more-or-less, kinda-sorta size comparisons. : ) FWIW, I've got a Yamaha 304B tenor recorder that's in the current quiver.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: low whistles vs tenor recorder finger spacing

Post by fatmac »

I used to have recorders, (sopranino/soprano/alto/tenor, all Yamaha), & from what I can remember of my tenor, my Howard low 'D' would be nearest, & it has a good tone.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
cyclist
Tell us something.: I've been playing irish tin whistle for years, and occasionally I've visited theis forum for reading purpose - it's always been a pleasure. Now I'd like to provide an answer for a recent post.

Post by cyclist »

Hello Glacier,
I happen to have the YRT-304BII right here as well as an older Howard Low D (wide & relatively short cylindrical metal tube with plastic head) and a Walt D. Sweet “Onyx” (conical bore, heavy ABS turned out of full block). So here is a brief comparison for you:
Distance of your hands from the mouth: Howard is the shortest
Finger spacing top 3 holes for the left hand: all 3 fairly similar
Finger spacing bottom 3 holes for the right hand: total span from hole 4 to 6 fairly similar,
…BUT: The major difference is that hole 5 for the middle finger on the recorder is closer to the ring finger hole, where it is (much) further up on the low whistles – that is why the piper’s grip is much more relaxed on the right hand on low whistles.
I hope this helps.

(P.S. This is my first post (I’ve been an occasional reader for some time here); I just wanted to help out glacier with this info – if forum etiquette askes me to introduce myself anywhere, please let me know.)
glacier
Tell us something.: I'm a clarinetist/silver flute player just getting into Irish music. I play Greek/Turkish/Balkan in addition to classical.

Post by glacier »

Thanks for the input! That tells me the gist of what I wanted to know.

I also play both Boehm and Albert system clarinets- between which the biggest difference in spacing is also the placement of that RH 5 middle finger.
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

glacier

Post by glacier »

May I ask what brand of whistle the pic is (I can read the recorder)- I'm assuming that's a low D compared to a Moeck tenor? Gorgeous recorder, btw....
hans
Tell us something.: I've been making whistles since 2010 in my tiny workshop at my home. I've been playing whistle since teenage times.

Post by hans »

I've made that low D whistle myself, the head is a recent development. Body with offset finger holes for my personal preference. The sixth hole is perhaps a bit larger than usual and therefore sits a bit lower, with more spacing to the fifth hole. Fine if your hands are large. Tuning is just intoned, which widens the distance between fourth and fifth hole, making it a bit more easy for the right hand. Some ET tuned whistles have a smaller fourth to fifth hole distance , and a larger fifth to sixth hole distance.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

hans wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 1:46 pm I've made that low D whistle myself, the head is a recent development. Body with offset finger holes for my personal preference. The sixth hole is perhaps a bit larger than usual and therefore sits a bit lower, with more spacing to the fifth hole. Fine if your hands are large. Tuning is just intoned, which widens the distance between fourth and fifth hole, making it a bit more easy for the right hand. Some ET tuned whistles have a smaller fourth to fifth hole distance , and a larger fifth to sixth hole distance.
I just want to say I love your whistle calculator. Its the base of all the whistle bodies I make. I tweak the hole sizes, but the positions it gives me is always excellent tuning, and is better than some whistles I've bought at playing in tune easily.
hans

Post by hans »

Narzog wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:38 pm I just want to say I love your whistle calculator. Its the base of all the whistle bodies I make. I tweak the hole sizes, but the positions it gives me is always excellent tuning, and is better than some whistles I've bought at playing in tune easily.
Thank you! I like to give full credits for much of the math in the calculator to Pete Kosel. - Yes, I end up tweaking one or two hole sizes too. Which shows the calculator does not provide a perfect model, but still is a good first step approximation for designing a whistle.