Best way to fix crack in fipple head

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: Best way to fix crack in fipple head

Post by pancelticpiper »

I just bound the thread tight, tied it off, then applied superglue to it.

With a smaller amount of superglue the thread still looks like thread, due to the superglue soaking into the thread.

With thicker superglue it builds up on the surface and looks like a glaze.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

Ages ago when I knew nothing about whistles and bought a few cheap models in a variety of keys, when the fipple cracked, the whistles didn't noticeably play any worse then before, because they were so bad to begin with. I "fixed" the problem by removing the mouthpiece part with pliers and then stepping on the tube to flatten it before disposing of both parts in the garbage. To truly solve that problem, buy whistles that play VERY well to begin with, through all three octaves, and then if the plastic or delrin or wood or metal mouthpiece becomes damaged, repairing it is truly worth the effort.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

What do they say again, something about craftsmen and their tools.. :sleep:

[add}

Perhaps it won't harm to expand on that a bit further: the easy quip of the poor ones blaming their tools aside, a good craftsman is not only capable to make the best use of his tools but also has the skill to select the best tools for the job. There is a tradition here of people coming onto the forum making statements like that in the previous post and to be honest it's pretty tedious. A well selected mass produced whistle is on the same level as some designer whistles, is better than the majority of them and is as yet unbeaten for value and playability by any of them. Ofcourse you will have to pick the right one (and have the ability to do that). But even those who don't fancy the tone of these whistles should at a minimum be able to recognise they are a viable choice, another flavour available to whistleplayers.

A few days ago I was in Powell's in Galway to have a quick peek at what was available in the whistle corner. there were Wilds, Hudsons, Setantas Cobres and what have you. Covid has put a stop to trying out whistles in shops so that wasn't on the cards but going by looks I didn't see anything that would particularly appeal to me. An eye for an aesthetically pleasing design doesn't seem part of the skill set of a lot of whistle makers. But that is probably a whole different discussion.
My brain hurts