What Key?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Polara Pat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

What Key?

Post by Polara Pat »

Hey all, been absent for a good while but this key question has been tormenting me so I thought I'd ask the mob given my severe lack or theory.

So I'm playing a tune in B minor on my D whistle. So if I maintain that fingering and shift to different key whistles, What will I be playing in? I have A, Bb, B, C, C#, Eb. I really like the sound in B.
Also, if this is a goofy question then I don't mind getting berated. Haha
an seanduine

Re: What Key?

Post by an seanduine »

Here''s my rough and ready understanding. Bmin will be based off the Sixth note of a D Scale. So, when you change to a whistle based on another Scale, you would then be playing a note based on the Sixth note of the whistle's new Scale. So, on a C whistle, the tune in Bmin on the D whistle becomes an Amin tune.
Hope this helps.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Bob is correct. You can easily visualize this by looking at a key chart like this.

https://www.ezfolk.com/uke/Tutorials/1f ... chart.html

You can see how everything shifts as you go from key to key. If you look at the VI column you can see what each keys equivalent minor is.
trill

Post by trill »

an seanduine wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 9:38 pm . . . Bmin will be based off the Sixth note of a D Scale. So, when you change to a whistle based on another Scale, you would then be playing a note based on the Sixth note of the whistle's new Scale. .
Indeed.

My first exposure to this was "Aaran Boat", a haunting tune. I was in my early D-whistle days and thought the key signature (c+f sharped) made it a "D" tune. A violinist set me straight.

Here's a tidbit of terminology: every "major scale" has a "relative minor" scale.

The "relative minor" scale begins "a 6th up" (or "a 3rd down") from the major scale tonic/root.

In the lexicon of "church modes": "The scale we now know as major was originally called the Ionian mode and its relative minor was known as Aeolian"

see: https://online.berklee.edu/takenote/mus ... and-minor/

Inquiring minds and all that . . .

trill
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

Wow, I feel like class is in session. It's all very confusing to be honest, even with really good descriptions and charts. I'll have another coffee and try to learn.
oleorezinator
Tell us something.: I love uilleann pipes I love tin whistles I love flutes I love irish music I love concertinas I love bodhrans

Post by oleorezinator »

Read left to right.
Parentheses are the equivalent
of c natural relative to the whistle key.
D E F# G A B (C) C# D
Eb F G Ab Bb C (Db) D Eb
E F# G# A B C# (D) D# E
F G A Bb C D (Eb) E F
F# G# A# B C# D# (E) F F#
G A B C D E (F) F# G
A B C# D E F# (G) G# A
Bb C D Eb F G (Ab) A Bb
B C# D# E F# G# (A) A# B
C D E F G A (Bb) B C
C# D# F F# G# A# (B) C C#
Information is not knowledge.
Knowledge is not wisdom.
Wisdom is not truth.
Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love.
Love is not music. Music is the best.
- Frank Zappa
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

That's a handy chart to have at a glance. Would Bm just be B? I know...painful. hah
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

No. B is a major scale, Bm is, obviously: as the name tells you, a minor one.

All that stuff is explained well here
My brain hurts

Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

OK I need someone to confirm something for me. If I take the tune that I was playing in Bm on a D whistle and use the same fingering on an F whistle, will it now play in Dm?
trill

Post by trill »

Yup. Yes. Affirmative. Bingo. &cet. . .
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

trill wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 12:36 am Yup. Yes. Affirmative. Bingo. &cet. . .
Haha brilliant!! Thanks.

Now I have a solid excuse to buy a low F.

Any solid suggestions? I know there are many threads on this but let's see what folks think.

My first thought is the Kerry Busker.
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

Polara Pat wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:01 am

Any solid suggestions? I know there are many threads on this but let's see what folks think.
I have a MK Pro Low F that I bought last year from a C&F member and I really love it.

They come up for sale from time to time and you can get them used at a price much less than a new one. But it you don't want to wait for a 2nd hand one you can always order a one new.

I really like the sound of it and it's very easy to play both octaves. Finger spacing is great. I can even play it without using the pipers grip (but I wear a men's size Large in gloves).
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

TxWhistler wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 3:48 pm
Polara Pat wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:01 am

I have a MK Pro Low F that I bought last year from a C&F member and I really love it.

They come up for sale from time to time and you can get them used at a price much less than a new one. But it you don't want to wait for a 2nd hand one you can always order a one new.

I really like the sound of it and it's very easy to play both octaves. Finger spacing is great. I can even play it without using the pipers grip (but I wear a men's size Large in gloves).
Funny, I hadn't even thought about MK. Love to own one. I started a WTB thread in the used instruments section. Hopefully someone has something they can live without. I definitely can't afford new at this point.
trill

Post by trill »

Polara Pat wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:01 amNow I have a solid excuse to buy a low F.
Side-question: what tune do you want play in Dm ?

ps: I have an MK LowD. Lovely instrument. Never tried his F (or any other F . . . Really, what *is* the Dm tune ? ! :) ).
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

trill wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 1:12 am
Side-question: what tune do you want play in Dm ?

ps: I have an MK LowD. Lovely instrument. Never tried his F (or any other F . . . Really, what *is* the Dm tune ? ! :) ).
Tam Lin

I was looking at the MK site and drooling. If they sound half as good as they look...