Shaw Low D new but in bad condition - Quality Issues

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
German Whistler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Shaw Low D new but in bad condition - Quality Issues

Post by German Whistler »

I have more or less 60 Whistle, most inexpensive and some are better and some , .. well have acceptable “issues” (acceptable cause the low price)

For my Birthday i got finaly a long time wanted Shaw Low D
I love the conical (original) design of the Clarkes and the Shaws. BTW are there others conical?
And the Clarkes i have are nice. I thought the SHAWS are known as good and easy to play Whistles.

BUT my SHAW Whistle got some “issues”.
Maybe its just my one, an exceptcion.

I took some pictures

No.1, 2 and 3 show very rough woodwork at the mouthpiece wooden block. I can change that n o problem.
No. 3 showes dirt or is it pencil? I can clean that, ok.

No 4 shows rough work. No 5 scratches. Ok Scratches will come with time more and more ;-) thats ok

No 6 shows dirt inside of the mouthpiece

No 7 shows oxydated Metal, normal for old whistles but also some dirt wich can be easily scratched out with the fingernail.

There are many "dings and dongs" everywhere

The Look, if one take a close look, is ok but sad for a new whistle.
But the SOUND ... its terrible, its clogging a lot and even when its warm and dry, .... after a while its getting worst and worst

For example, no hole closed, i play 10 times the tone , all is well, after 20 times it gets less loud and i realy have to control the breats excactly
after 50 times no more sound at all, ... i have to shake it dry and can start again
Maybe its the dirt in the mouthpiece which gets wet
I never had problems with wet whistle i am a "dry player" ;-)

This whistle is very hard to play

It is my worsed whistle at all

I hope its an exception cause i still want a Shaw low D cause i love the look and the sound wich i heard on videos but this one i will have to send back to the dealer or is Dave Shaw still giving a "tweaking service"?
I wrote to hiom 2 days ago but still habve no answere

What would you do?
Is there anyone in europe who can and want to try tweaking it?
Last edited by German Whistler on Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Andreas Fischer the "German Whistler"
PLay Whistles since May 2012

* My Whistles and other Instruments
* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
* My (Your) Music Community
A monthly Learn and Compare Challenge and more!
Everybody is welcome and U 2
;-)
Narzog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Re: Shaw lod D new but in bad condition

Post by Narzog »

sorry to hear you dont like it. I did research on shaw whistles a while back and definitely didn't like what people had to say so I never got one. I may be mistaken but I feel like I remember reading that Jerry Freeman can tweak them. So I'd message him about it.

For other conical whistles Carbony low D exists. Thats the only other one I can think of. Trad player seem to like them less but less trad players seem to love them. Not sure which category you fall into but could be worth looking into.
an seanduine

Post by an seanduine »

Ya just can´t leave out the Copelands when you are speaking of conic whistles. . .but you do need a Brinks Truck full of money to buy one. And don´t turn your nose up at the Meg/Sweetone. . .Mike Copeland had a hand in the design of the Head.

Bob
Not everything you can count, counts. And not everything that counts, can be counted

The Expert's Mind has few possibilities.
The Beginner's mind has endless possibilities.
Shunryu Suzuki, Roshi
German Whistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by German Whistler »

Narzog wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:36 pm sorry to hear you dont like it. I did research on shaw whistles a while back and definitely didn't like what people had to say so I never got one.
Than i am not surprised mine is like it is.
I did hope to get some answeres from people who have one and if they say, thats normal or maybe an exception.

But i got an answere from Dave Shaw himself (mailed him)
He say more or less that the condition of the whistle is normal.
He also says that it can be easily corected, some sandpaper and polisch and cleaning, ... thats true but the playability,.... well i didnt tell him about that, so maybe its me being to stupid to play it.
Even i have many many whistles, i was a beginner when i stopped playing years agao and i just want to start again.
I only have one other Low D but that one i can play and its a rely cheap one.

Maybe i just should send it beck and never get a Shaw Whistle again.
But i also thought about to get a High D Shaw for comparing but, ... well i dont know.
an seanduine wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:55 pm Ya just can´t leave out the Copelands when you are speaking of conic whistles. . .but you do need a Brinks Truck full of money to buy one. And don´t turn your nose up at the Meg/Sweetone. . .Mike Copeland had a hand in the design of the Head.
Do you mean the Clarke Sweettone?
I love my Clarke Whistles, but there is no low d i think, or is there one?
Ill go and google for your recomandations and think about getting a ( for me affordable) Tony Dixon Low D

But i will write one more time to Mr Shaw and ask him about the playability, the clogging or however it is called (Wish my English would be better to descibe it)

This all is very sad and disapointing, I Love the Look of the Clarked and Shaws, that conical blank metal with wooden blocks, ... but i start to thing Shaws are not made for me

Anyway, thanks for the Comments

If there are others with Experiance with Shaw Whistles, please let me know about it
Andreas Fischer the "German Whistler"
PLay Whistles since May 2012

* My Whistles and other Instruments
* My WeBlog
Recommendation:
* My (Your) Music Community
A monthly Learn and Compare Challenge and more!
Everybody is welcome and U 2
;-)
Narzog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

German Whistler wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:09 pm
But i got an answere from Dave Shaw himself (mailed him)
He say more or less that the condition of the whistle is normal.
He also says that it can be easily corected, some sandpaper and polisch and cleaning, ... thats true but the playability,.... well i didnt tell him about that, so maybe its me being to stupid to play it.
Even i have many many whistles, i was a beginner when i stopped playing years agao and i just want to start again.
I only have one other Low D but that one i can play and its a rely cheap one.

Maybe i just should send it beck and never get a Shaw Whistle again.
But i also thought about to get a High D Shaw for comparing but, ... well i dont know.

Ill go and google for your recomandations and think about getting a ( for me affordable) Tony Dixon Low D
I'd consider returning it. Being stuck with something you really aren't happy with is no fun. Then you can put the money towards something you like a lot more. Even if you lose money returning from shipping, it was still worth trying out. I've been trying to buy used whistles so that I can try them and sell them for minimal loss. Then some day when I've tried everything I wanted to try, I'll know that I have what I like the most. I can see some people not wanting to return over small things or player issues. But in this case I really think its probobly just not a good instrument. So you shouldnt feel bad over returning that.

I forgot about the dixon conical low D. If I remember correctly, a while ago I read a thread on here of a new player asking what low D to get, and they were heavily recommended the dixon conical low d.