Whats the deal with Sindt like whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Gary90
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I don't know what you wan't to know. Other than I am not a spammer who is has to write a minimum of 100 characters.

Whats the deal with Sindt like whistles

Post by Gary90 »

Was looking online and have found another new whistle being released that would put you in mind of a Sindt.

I don't own a Sindt but i know people go mad for them.

But what is the deal with that type of whistle, seems alot of whistle makers are making in that style now.

Obviously the craftsmanship of the whistle wouldn't be the same as a Sindt. The whistle is a Glenluce Wexford
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Re: Whats the deal with Sindt like whistles

Post by Narzog »

Whats funny is I don't even think these makers know they are copying Sindt, they are trying to copy Killarney. All the assorted whistle youtubers have Killarneys, like Gingertail, CutiePie, windy whistly, etc. Everyone on whistle reddit recommends Killarney. And theres no reason to spend a ton of money on making an injection molded head to compete with the $10 whistles when they can make a clone of what everyone seems to want.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The bandwagon is creaking at the seams.

Glenluce are the Pakistani crowd, aren't they?
My brain hurts

Gary90
Tell us something.: I don't know what you wan't to know. Other than I am not a spammer who is has to write a minimum of 100 characters.

Post by Gary90 »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:14 am The bandwagon is creaking at the seams.

Glenluce are the Pakistani crowd, aren't they?
Yes Mr.Gumby,
A quick google told me made in Pakistan. There you go i never knew that myself
Gary90

Post by Gary90 »

Narzog wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:59 am Whats funny is I don't even think these makers know they are copying Sindt, they are trying to copy Killarney. All the assorted whistle youtubers have Killarneys, like Gingertail, CutiePie, windy whistly, etc. Everyone on whistle reddit recommends Killarney. And theres no reason to spend a ton of money on making an injection molded head to compete with the $10 whistles when they can make a clone of what everyone seems to want.
Yes Narzog, theres very little mention of Sindt in these review videos of Killarney's etc. I don't think they would play as well as a Sindt.
Iv never played a Sindt or any of the knock off versions so i couldn't compare but I'd imagine.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Gary90 wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:15 pm
Narzog wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:59 am Whats funny is I don't even think these makers know they are copying Sindt, they are trying to copy Killarney. All the assorted whistle youtubers have Killarneys, like Gingertail, CutiePie, windy whistly, etc. Everyone on whistle reddit recommends Killarney. And theres no reason to spend a ton of money on making an injection molded head to compete with the $10 whistles when they can make a clone of what everyone seems to want.
Yes Narzog, theres very little mention of Sindt in these review videos of Killarney's etc. I don't think they would play as well as a Sindt.
Iv never played a Sindt or any of the knock off versions so i couldn't compare but I'd imagine.
Killarney are the perfect clone, because they seem really good, but cost much less than a Sindt. There was a thread a while ago of a guy who has a Killarney who bought a Sindt and he couldn't really tell the difference. With these other clones I expect a much bigger drop in performance.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Narzog wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:15 pm
Killarney are the perfect clone, because they seem really good, but cost much less than a Sindt. There was a thread a while ago of a guy who has a Killarney who bought a Sindt and he couldn't really tell the difference. With these other clones I expect a much bigger drop in performance.
Killarneys have majorly gone up I'm price since they first arrived. I am not so sure they are still a cheap alternative.
I wouldn't call Killarney indistinguishable from the Sindt. Far from it.
My brain hurts

ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

A curious thing is when you examine a Sindt whistle (actually, I've only ever had my hands on a Killarney), then you should realise that it is a development in materials but not fundamentally in design. It's basically a Thin Weasel style fipple (and subsequently numerous other wooden whistles) but done in brass and delrin. Of course, the design may precede Glen Shultz's work, I don't know, but he certainly seems to have popularised it.

This is not a comment on the quality or worth of Sindt whistles, and, yes, it was John Sindt that came up with the idea to marry up these materials and that design of fipple with a thin Generation-style metal tube.

So, if there's any "sin" in emulating it, it's the same "sin" committed by Sindt and all those wooden whistles.

It also seems that some of these whistles are moving away from the Sindt setup and incorporating much thicker tubes, leading to a slightly different style of whistle.

As for the Glenluce whistle, I commend the honestly and openness of Hobgoblin in telling their customers where their instruments are made; unlike the practice of others. I'll also make no assumptions about their quality simply based upon where they're made.
Narzog

Post by Narzog »

Mr.Gumby wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:25 pm
Killarneys have majorly gone up I'm price since they first arrived. I am not so sure they are still a cheap alternative.
Raising price is what all makers should do if they are selling well. I asked Gary Humphrey last week what the wait would be on a low G and he said at least mid October. I asked Ronaldo Reyburn how long I'd have to wait for a G and he had one in stock, which just arrived today (love it so far btw lol). The Reyburn cost almost twice as much as a Humphrey. Gary could 100% charge more and still sell. Any sales lost would be made up for in the raised price, and he should raise his price until he stops having a wait list. Humphrey and Reyburn are similar amount of build effort (Reyburn is a bit more because it has a tuning slide), but neither have special coating or anything that should make one cost way more than the other. It bugs me that Reyburn cost as much as Burkes and MK's but doesnt have an extra nice nickel or anodized finish, but I also still bought it, so he apparently doesnt need to spend time on extra finishing haha. If Gary told me he had one in stock I would have bought it on the spot. I don't mean any of this as an insult to Gary, hes doing great. Luckily for me I've wanted to try a Reyburn also so it was a good opportunity to get one.
Gary90

Post by Gary90 »

Narzog wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 3:15 pm
Mr.Gumby wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:25 pm
Raising price is what all makers should do if they are selling well. I asked Gary Humphrey last week what the wait would be on a low G and he said at least mid October. I asked Ronaldo Reyburn how long I'd have to wait for a G and he had one in stock, which just arrived today (love it so far btw lol). The Reyburn cost almost twice as much as a Humphrey. Gary could 100% charge more and still sell. Any sales lost would be made up for in the raised price, and he should raise his price until he stops having a wait list. Humphrey and Reyburn are similar amount of build effort (Reyburn is a bit more because it has a tuning slide), but neither have special coating or anything that should make one cost way more than the other. It bugs me that Reyburn cost as much as Burkes and MK's but doesnt have an extra nice nickel or anodized finish, but I also still bought it, so he apparently doesnt need to spend time on extra finishing haha. If Gary told me he had one in stock I would have bought it on the spot. I don't mean any of this as an insult to Gary, hes doing great. Luckily for me I've wanted to try a Reyburn also so it was a good opportunity to get one.
Funny you should say that Narzog,
I have an order in with Gary at the minute for a trad D, its the first week in September, he has given me as the delivery time.
I placed the order about a month ago.
He must be doing well because we were E-mailing back and forth and he had given me an estimate of August (at that time).
I told him i would put the order in at the end of the week because i didn't have the money spare at that time.
So in the space of 3 or 4 days he must of had a few orders come in, not a bad sign.

I understand he stopped making whistles full time for a while and started again so i thought i may aswell get one incase he stops again.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

As for the Glenluce whistle, I commend the honestly and openness of Hobgoblin in telling their customers where their instruments are made; unlike the practice of others. I'll also make no assumptions about their quality simply based upon where they're made.
It doesn't really matter where they are made but there has been lots of discussion here in the past about Glenluce flutes, pipes and wooden and plastic whistles. Given the reputation of the company, it would be adviseable to try beofre you buy. But that holds true for just about every make.
Raising price is what all makers should do if they are selling well.
I'd rather have a whistle that strikes a reasonable balance between price and what it delivers. There's enough overpriced mediocrity as it is.
My brain hurts

Leemac
Tell us something.: Lifelong Irish music enthusiast and experienced flute & whistle player. Love talking anything flute or music related.

Post by Leemac »

Sadly I don't own a Sindt (truly my heart lies with my trusty Burke whistle so I've never felt the need despite them being great whistles). I do have a Killarney Eb whistle though which, as others have said, is clearly an imitation of Sindt (highest form of flattery so they say, right?) and I like it much better than some of the Killarney D whistles I've tried.

I also picked up a Wild Whistle from McNeela recently (another homage to Sindt it seems) as curiosity got the better of me and the price was right and I must say I greatly enjoy playing it. Would I give up my Burke for it? No. But would I choose it over some of the other Sindt-a-likes on the market? Definitely. Has anyone else here tried it?

As OP has said, there's an increasing number of copycat Sindt whistles hitting the market these days but that's bound to happen when something is popular. It's not necessarily a bad thing as long as you don't think you're getting the same quality for a fraction of the price.

Has anyone here tried the new Lír whistle? It looks to me to be another Sindt-esque design but I could be wrong. It looks a little heavy for my liking though (I'm a fan of a nicely balanced more lightweight whistle myself) so I'm not sure I'd be willing to invest.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Killarneys were going for S110 around the time I got a Sindt from the maker himself for $160. There was a time before Killarney's copies hit the scene that the Sindt waiting list was forever and a day. That made the aftermarket soar. When I contacted him in Dec. 2019 about an extra head for a Bb A set I had and a sense of his waitlist, he said the waitlist had caught up. So myself and 2 of my friends ordered Sindts and got them within weeks.

I am assuming that the waitlist dried up due to people picking up the perfectly serviceable Killarneys with the idea that the Sindt waitlist was beyond their patience. Having both, doing the close your eyes and pick up a whistle blind test I always preferred the Sindt to the Killarney. There is just something more precise about it? Less harsh? It is hard to describe. It is especially evident if I play them in my "office" a tiny room with lots of hard edges.

I am assuming the copies of the copies play OK. I've not heard anything horrible about them.
maiingan
Tell us something.: Hi;
I have an Oak high D, Generation Bb, Dixon Alto A, Tilbury Low G, Humphrey low F and a Howard low D.

Post by maiingan »

busterbill wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:35 pm
Killarneys were going for S110 around the time I got a Sindt from the maker himself for $160. There was a time before Killarney's copies hit the scene that the Sindt waiting list was forever and a day. That made the aftermarket soar. When I contacted him in Dec. 2019 about an extra head for a Bb A set I had and a sense of his waitlist, he said the waitlist had caught up. So myself and 2 of my friends ordered Sindts and got them within weeks.

I am assuming that the waitlist dried up due to people picking up the perfectly serviceable Killarneys with the idea that the Sindt waitlist was beyond their patience. Having both, doing the close your eyes and pick up a whistle blind test I always preferred the Sindt to the Killarney. There is just something more precise about it? Less harsh? It is hard to describe. It is especially evident if I play them in my "office" a tiny room with lots of hard edges.

I am assuming the copies of the copies play OK. I've not heard anything horrible about them.
Is Sindt still selling new whistles? if so what is his website?
Stay safe and hopefully healthy;

Patti
et succendam sibilus (blow the whistle) :thumbsup:
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

maiingan wrote: ]0

Is Sindt still selling new whistles? if so what is his website?
He doesn't have a website, you email him with your order. Do a search.
My brain hurts