Chronic Diatonic

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
macuaig
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Played recorders at an intermediate level several decades ago, trumpet years before that. Exploring whistles, piano and guitar these days.

Chronic Diatonic

Post by macuaig »

This tin whistle is my first non-chromatic instrument, and I never did learn much theory. I understand the solutions of shading, alternate fingerings, or multiple whistles to deal with what keys and accidentals I can, but I’ve got a stack of old sheet music that doesn’t know I bottom out faster than it does.

What are common strategies when a printed note drops below my instrument’s range, at least when reading sheet music?

I’m thinking replace the note with a higher note in that key without dropping the beat? Bump the whole section to a higher octave? Hold or repeat the previous note? Maybe decide it’s the perfect time to take a breath, clear the windway, or drop a pencil?? What to do?
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Re: Chronic Diatonic

Post by Narzog »

I don't read sheet music and cant be a lot of help for this, but one thing is that if you are finding your range needs to be a tad lower (or higher), you may be able to have the right range with the alternative whistle key. what I mean by this, is every music key can actually be played with two different whistle keys. You may have heard of cross fingering, oxx ooo, or sometimes oxx xox, to play C natural on a D whistle. using this, you can actually play in the key of G. This logic works for every whistle key. A can play in D, G in C, F in Bb, Etc. So if your playing a song in C, on a C whistle, and find you need to be able to go 1-3 notes lower, and have up to 3 notes in headroom (becasue shifting to a lower whistle loses high note range), you can shift to the alternative whistle key and be able to play all the notes (in this case, a low G). I hope this makes some sense, my ability to explain music and music theory is often questionable.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

My solution is to transpose it, (but then I don't play ITM). :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

In Irish traditional music the common practice is to just raise the notes in question an octave, to 'fold' the tune. Alternatively you can choose to play tunes in D on an A whistle, which will give you access to some lower notes.
Your 'stack of sheet music' is perhaps suggesting traditional music is not what you're into. But there you have it.
My brain hurts

macuaig
Tell us something.: Played recorders at an intermediate level several decades ago, trumpet years before that. Exploring whistles, piano and guitar these days.

Post by macuaig »

Thanks for the guidance, all. Much appreciated.