Low F Whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BillC
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have played Irish flute and whistle for over thirty years and have taken lessons from the likes of Kevin Crawford, Patsy Hanley, John Kelly, Joannie Madden and Louise Mulcahy. At present I am interested in upgrading some of my whistle collection.

Low F Whistle

Post by BillC »

I am hoping to find an easy playing low F whistle. Suggestions re: where to purchase one? I am in WA State
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Low F Whistle

Post by fatmac »

Shearwater are easy players, might be worth a look - http://www.shearwaterwhistles.com/welcome/4594264412
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Without knowing anything about what you like or price range, My MK Pro D is amazing, so I recommend their low f without having one haha. I have a burke low F which plays extremely well, but it just uses a ton of air. Goldie low F is also supposed to be legendary.

At a lower / middle price point, I've heard great things about Kerry optima low F.

For extra low price check out Nightingale low F. I'm linking the site because its hard to find with google because its Russian, but I've bought from it before so its safe. Just use google translate. My Nightingale A is not my favorite but for the money they are really hard to beat.
https://shamanic.ru/muzykalnye-instrume ... -karavaev/

I expect to see many others recommended, as theres many good options.
BillC
Tell us something.: I have played Irish flute and whistle for over thirty years and have taken lessons from the likes of Kevin Crawford, Patsy Hanley, John Kelly, Joannie Madden and Louise Mulcahy. At present I am interested in upgrading some of my whistle collection.

Post by BillC »

Hello Narzog. Thanks for all this good information. I will into the whistles you suggested.
BillC

Post by BillC »

Thank you fatmac. They have an easily negotiated website I see.
trekkie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by trekkie »

The new Kerrywhistle Busker is real nice easy player. The only drawback is a real tight tuning slide, it’s metal on metal.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

trekkie wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:13 pm The new Kerrywhistle Busker is real nice easy player. The only drawback is a real tight tuning slide, it’s metal on metal.
Glad you like it! I've been waiting to hear some feedback on them for a while. I even made a thread a while back and it got 0 reply's haha. I'm torn on whats the perfect tuning slide. I kinda hate teflon tape (bad tape, a bad tape job, and it ripping if you use it too much) but it also gets the job done. I believe the Busker has some cork thing but the rest still needs to be a tight fit so it doesnt wobble, which makes your issue. O rings are probobly the best, but if they tear are the most problematic.
emmdee

Post by emmdee »

Low F Susato whistles would be worth considering. I've had one for 22 years and it's all the Low F I've ever needed.

m.d.
fiddlerwill
Tell us something.: I play traditional Irish and Scottish music.
"The beginner should approach style warily, realizing that it is an expression of self, and should turn resolutely away from all devices that are popularly believed to indicate style — all mannerisms, tricks, adornments. The approach to style is by way of plainness, simplicity, orderliness, sincerity."

Post by fiddlerwill »

Busker is seriously tight tuning slide. I have an issue with finger strength at the moment so had to get a friend to shift it! I was advised to use a vice!, :-)
Its a high d si cant advise on the low f , i have a Swayne boxwood F im getting to grips with. Not an easy player but great reward once the technique is mastered
The mind is like a parachute; it only works when it is open.

Heres a few tunes round a table, first three sets;

http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/werty
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs-willie
http://soundcloud.com/fiddlerwill/jigs
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

emmdee wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:47 am Low F Susato whistles would be worth considering. I've had one for 22 years and it's all the Low F I've ever needed.

m.d.
I've just acquired an older Susato (low) F. Until very recently the lowest whistle I owned was a Chieftain A (a great whistle btw. pre-Thunderbird).

After the obligatory soak, wash and scrub-up, I tried this Susato and was immediately playing tunes at full speed with its strong tone and good tuning. I think that this qualifies as "easy playing", at least for me.

It's surprisingly loud, and I find that like other Susatos it is "sure footed" in hitting the notes and it's very articulate; a surprise for me with such a big whistle.

There are a couple of caveats. I don't have to use a "piper's grip", and I've been playing whistles a long time so adjusting to a new whistle isn't such an issue.

PS. Of course, I don't have other F whistles to compare it with, but for the price and what I've ended up with, I'm happy with a very playable instrument.
maiingan
Tell us something.: Hi;
I have an Oak high D, Generation Bb, Dixon Alto A, Tilbury Low G, Humphrey low F and a Howard low D.

Post by maiingan »

I just received my Low F from Gary Humphrey. I really like it and he is state side. You can hear a professional playing them here. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbqD7l ... YWtyhRx8vg
Stay safe and hopefully healthy;

Patti
et succendam sibilus (blow the whistle) :thumbsup:
JTU
Tell us something.: I have been playing the tin whistle for a year. I have never played a musical instrument before the tin whistle.

Post by JTU »

I would recommend a Reviol Low F. Light in the hand and I would say easy blowing. Nice gentle sound. I have no other Low F’s to measure it against although I have a number of Low D’s. Hope this helps.
BKWeid
Tell us something.: I really enjoy the information and experience from the members on this forum. I've learned so much from the long time members about ITM, flutes, and whistles in general. I also enjoy the humor and culture. Instrument reviews have been helpful and the posts on embouchure are priceless. As I generally don't get out to sessions, the information from this board is my only connection at times to the music.

Post by BKWeid »

I have to second the Reviol. Probably one of the best low F whistles to my ear, and a great balance of attributes. Maurice is kind and great to work with—superb customer service. His hand made head piece has beautiful visible hammer marks—simply gorgeous.