Kerry Optima Fixed Low D X James Dominic Low D

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
festuswyrmrest
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been learning tin whistle for about a year and heard of this site from a lot of people that said it is a good way to find tips and tricks of the instrument

Kerry Optima Fixed Low D X James Dominic Low D

Post by festuswyrmrest »

Hello!

I've been playing my high D for about a year and I really want to have a low whistle, but I I don't know which one to choose, what do y'all think?

Both are about the same price (the james dominic is a bit cheaper).

https://jamesdominicmusic.com/products/ ... 2596725842

https://www.kerrywhistles.com/product-p ... ixed-low-d

This forum is really cool and it has incentivised my playing a lot! :)

Good whistling :D
bruce.b
Tell us something.: I’m a whistle, fiddle and tenor guitar player. Mostly low D, mostly Irish trad, but I’ll try any fiddle tune on whistle.

Re: Kerry Optima Fixed Low D X James Dominic Low D

Post by bruce.b »

Never played the Dominic, but I think the Optima is an excellent whistle. It took me a while to get used to the hole spacing, not sure why, but once I did I found it easy to play. I like the tone and it’s very lightweight, which is nice. It looks sleek and minimalist too, which I also like. Decent volume. For the price it’s an excellent whistle.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

Note I've played neither. In general I vote kerry optima, its well known with a good reputation. The JDM could be great and I do have a tendency to go with less known makers. But I've also regret my purchase before. But not always haha. So you never know. From listening, it sounds like the JDM is going to be more mellow and less loud. I noticed in both videos, you can hear their breathing really loudly. Which implies the whistle isnt that loud. If it was the mic volume would be turned down more and the breathing would be quieter. But theres more to audio than that so I could be wrong. If you want a more booming low end optima may better. If you want quiet indoor practice JDM could be better.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I don't understand why the plastic top of the Kerry Optima is fixed. Shouldn't it just slide up and down for tuning?
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Tremendouz
Tell us something.: A low whistle player with more whistles than skill. Looking forward to improve... and acquire more whistles!

Post by Tremendouz »

I just wanted to add another suggestion: Goldfinch Low D is a tunable plastic whistle made in Poland and has a nice clear tone. €79

The holes are a bit larger and further apart than in my Tony Dixon Low D and the bore is bigger but the stretch isn't *too* bad.
festuswyrmrest
Tell us something.: I've been learning tin whistle for about a year and heard of this site from a lot of people that said it is a good way to find tips and tricks of the instrument

Post by festuswyrmrest »

Thanks so much for the replies, they helped me a lot!

I've considered the Goldfinch and like it a lot! But I prefer the sound of the Kerry Optima, which is the one I'm most inclined to choose :D

Take care everyone, good whishes from Brasil! :)
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

pancelticpiper wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:57 pm I don't understand why the plastic top of the Kerry Optima is fixed. Shouldn't it just slide up and down for tuning?
Phil Hardy would have the definitive response for you. I'll hazard a guess:
Since the Chieftain/Optima/Busker/Thunderbird/Cobre lines of whistle already have a very high quality tuning slide mechanism, which a buyer would want to remain reliable in function for years, I'd suspect that trying to assure that quality of function sustains itself would have them decide not to put the plastic into the "tuning slide" portion of the whistle, and remain with metal, the plastic probably not as durable under friction over time, as the current materials used for the tuning slide part.

The Optima is an excellent whistle. The videos of it being played are very good and when Orlaith McAuliffe plays an Optima lightning fast and the notes are very well defined and the tone is appealing and very clear and consistent, I'd say the plastic mouthpiece is a total winner, matched perfectly to that pipe design, and the design should not be altered, unless as usual, ongoing R&D discover improvement possibilities.