How many unique sounds/pitches during a roll

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
learn2turn
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

How many unique sounds/pitches during a roll

Post by learn2turn »

I'm starting to (try to) do rolls. I understand it's a cut and a tap on a note and have watched some videos and practiced a bit. I'm curious about how many sounds/pitches are most desirable. And perhaps, there is not one answer but it depends on style and desired result. It seems depending on timing it could be 3,4, or 5. If the cut happens after the note starts and the cut is completed before the tap, it's 5. If the cut happens at the start of the note before the main tone sounds, that's one less. And if the cut ends exactly when the tap occurs, that's another one less.

So let's say I'm rolling F# with a cut of the G finger and a tap of the E finger. The three pitches are A, F#, and E (although when really fast, they could be more like squeaks that the pitch actually ringing). If the cut is after the note starts and the tap does not occur until after the cut is completed, I'd get F#-A-F#-E-F#. Is that the most common way to roll?

If I altered the timing of the cut to be the same instance as the tap, I could get F#-A-E-F#.

If I started the note on the cut instead of the main note I could get A-F#-E-F# and if cut ends the same instance the tap starts, I could get A-E-F#.

Thoughts?

-l2t
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: How many unique sounds/pitches during a roll

Post by Peter Duggan »

learn2turn wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:00 am And if the cut ends exactly when the tap occurs, that's another one less.
And that wouldn't be a roll.

A long roll (starting with the main note) will have five sounds (three main pitches and two blips). A short roll (starting with the cut) will have four. There are places where you'd want one and places where you'd the want the other, so valid contexts for both.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

And that's before we even consider double cut rolls and other variants. :D
My brain hurts

Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

I left them out deliberately!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
learn2turn
Tell us something.: I play mostly my Killary Brass High-D and MK Pro low-D. Also like my Dixon Trad high D and my Dixon Polymer Low-D. I have a bunch of other cheap high-Ds and a few whistles in other keys I dabble with once in a while. Also play some guitar and mando, mostly bluegrass and related folkie Americana. Can't sing for squat. Can pick out chords and simple melodies on a keyboard but that's it; can't really play but it's good for understanding theory.

Post by learn2turn »

Peter Duggan wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:58 am
learn2turn wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:00 am And if the cut ends exactly when the tap occurs, that's another one less.
And that wouldn't be a roll.

A long roll (starting with the main note) will have five sounds (three main pitches and two blips). A short roll (starting with the cut) will have four. There are places where you'd want one and places where you'd the want the other, so valid contexts for both.
Thanks, learning on my own, it's good to have affirmation of what I'm trying. I like the 5 sound roll the best. I didn't really like the simultaneous end of cut, start of tap with the middle missing. I don't know anything about this stuff but it indeed didn't sound like a roll any more.

-l2t
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

There are a ton of great irish traditional musicians in MA who teach in person and online - I'd strongly suggest lessons.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Unique pitches? You mean the three "melody notes" of the roll count as one?

What's the reason for calculating that?
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
tstermitz

Post by tstermitz »

Don't think of rolls as notes; think of them as rhythmic elements, or articulations. You choose which roll based on what rhythmic effect you are trying to get.

I agree that lessons will save you lots of struggling.

Look up Stiamh's website, brother steve's whistle tutorial. It is very clear as an entry to understanding this stuff.

Of course, listen to the music. I kind of thought I could do rolls, but then I was blown away when I heard to Mary Bergin. Listening to lots of music will inform you that a standard long roll is only one way to do it.
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Do yourself a favor and sign up for a free 14-day trial on OAIM: https://www.oaim.ie/tin-whistle/tin-whi ... undations/