Large hole Low D’s?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
bruce.b
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I’m a whistle, fiddle and tenor guitar player. Mostly low D, mostly Irish trad, but I’ll try any fiddle tune on whistle.

Large hole Low D’s?

Post by bruce.b »

Bought a new Howard black silk Low D and have been playing it for a few days. I love the whistle. It’s easy to play and has a beautiful clear tone, but what I like the most is the large holes. It makes it easy to half hole and get strong, nice sounding accidental notes. I love half holing low D’s and playing tunes that require it. It’s what I’m currently most into doing, for example the Norwegian tune Finn Jenta, p22 in The Waltz Book. My MK is stiil my primary and favorite, but the Howard is amazing for playing accidentals. My question is, what other low D’s have really large holes?
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Large hole Low D’s?

Post by BigDavy »

Overton, Chieftain and I assume Goldie (never having tried a Goldie low D) as they re the ones that I cannot seal with my thin fingers.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

The "Qwistle" low D comes to mind. Currently not in production though.
RLindner
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for 2 years now and I'm always looking for new instruments.

Cheers and greetings from Germany

Post by RLindner »

The Ian Lambe low D whistle has large holes, especially the upper 3 ones. Can't be bought new, but I have one for sale in nearly new condition.

viewtopic.php?f=35&t=112336
stiofan
Tell us something.: I've been a C&Fer since 2003. Currently playing wooden flute & (mainly low) whistles, along with the bowed dulcimer.

Post by stiofan »

Colin Goldie makes both a standard-hole and a large-hole configuration. The latter type is ideal for the playing you're describing. Hammy Hamilton's low whistles are on the larger size as well. I haven't played Chieftains since the early-to-mid 2000s so am not sure about Phil's whistles, perhaps others can chime in about them.
borderland
Tell us something.: High, I remember looking at the forum many years ago and please to see it is thriving with a lot of members. I am always on the look out for articles relating to whistles whether it be new makers or techniques on playing.

Post by borderland »

Just a general question, I am not trying to hi jack original thread but new to forum and still trying to find my way round it. How much harder is it to stretch to play a low D compared to a high D. Just wondering how many find it impossible especially if you have small hands like me.
Any comments would be much appreciated.
bruce.b
Tell us something.: I’m a whistle, fiddle and tenor guitar player. Mostly low D, mostly Irish trad, but I’ll try any fiddle tune on whistle.

Post by bruce.b »

I need to get on the list for a Goldie, large hole, soft blower.
bruce.b

Post by bruce.b »

As long as you use piper’s grip, I think most people won’t have a problem with low D. If the holes are really large it might be difficult to seal the holes if you have skinny fingers, at least that’s what various people report.