Picard's whistle prop from TNG going up for auction

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Caj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Picard's whistle prop from TNG going up for auction

Post by Caj »

They estimate it to go for 50-70 thousand dollars, so you need both a lot of cash and a pretty serious case of WHOA:

Lot # 242: STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION (T.V. SERIES, 1987 - 1994) - Jean-Luc Picard's (Patrick Stewart) Ressikan Flute, Box and Costume Continuity Script
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

Re: Picard's whistle prop from TNG going up for auction

Post by Steve Bliven »

And it says the "flute" doesn't make any musical sounds...

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Caj wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:15 pm They estimate it to go for 50-70 thousand dollars, so you need both a lot of cash and a pretty serious case of WHOA:

Lot # 242: STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION (T.V. SERIES, 1987 - 1994) - Jean-Luc Picard's (Patrick Stewart) Ressikan Flute, Box and Costume Continuity Script
To me it's conspicuous consumption. I mean, sure, it's an awesome trophy for your collection if you're a Star Trek maven and a whistler, but it strikes me as fetishism when a far cheaper (and working) instrument would do. Plus you'd have to insure it, and it's not even art. Not really. Now, a Water Weasel? Hell, yeah. I totally get paying through the nose for that, even if it means your whelps go without shoes. But then I've never had the theater bug of my siblings; call me a philistine. To each their own, I guess...
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

How much just for the box?
pgm3
Tell us something.: I used to drop in here back when Dale was around, and it's a great forum. Recently tagged up with the FB tinwhistle group but it's frankly newbie oriented which is Ok but I need to be around some folks who, like me, know which end to blow into for optimum effect. I have too many whistles and intend to acquire too many more, so there. Feel the same way about tunes. Conveniently, the whistles can actually be used to play tunes, Some of you may be familiar with me, but I deny it all. I have taught low whistle at Willy Week way back when, and used to run whistle workshops at the New England Folk Festival. Oddly, though, I'm still learning. My teachers were: Billy Novick, Cathal McConnel, and Seam Potts. I should be a better player!

Post by pgm3 »

I got hit with one of them space probes once. I woke up on a doomed planet, and lived most of a century there. After a while I could play the whistle, but I didn't have one £70,000 one. I had 700 ten dollar ones. And I could play the Skye Boat Song the right way. So now I'm just waiting to wake up on the bridge of my starship. I'll let you all know how that turns out.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

There is at least one long thread in the C&F archives about this whistle. I was one of the people who thought I'd heard it was a Copeland and someone noted that it was not. Somewhere in that thread was a Chiffer who was the consultant for the creation of this prop. My memory is short on details. But if anyone wants to dig...
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

ytliek wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:53 am How much just for the box?
A telling assessment.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Nanohedron wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:09 pm
ytliek wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 10:53 am How much just for the box?
A telling assessment.
Ytliek is a cat??
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
Tunborough
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Tunborough »

busterbill wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 7:18 pmThere is at least one long thread in the C&F archives about this whistle.
This is the latest ... viewtopic.php?p=1239260#p1239260