The Highland Brigade At Magersfontein - "Canterach"

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The Highland Brigade At Magersfontein - "Canterach"

Post by kenny »

Re-discovered this track on a CD from some years back - an outstanding Highland pipe march, recorded by Scottish folk band "Canterach" - great arrangement :
https://youtu.be/irl_9LNeT2E
[ whistles come in second time around ]
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
JTU
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been playing the tin whistle for a year. I have never played a musical instrument before the tin whistle.

Re: The Highland Brigade At Magersfontein - "Canterach"

Post by JTU »

Nice tune Kenny. I have downloaded a copy. Is the sheet music on the Session Forum a reasonable representation of the bare bones of the tune? Probably sounds an odd request but I have no ability or ear for learning tunes from the playing of others. By the way I’m trying to learn as many of the tunes from Thebes Alex Green album and video as I can.
Cheers
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Re: The Highland Brigade At Magersfontein - "Canterach"

Post by pancelticpiper »

I noticed that the Canntaireachd version differs from the way I've heard it played on the pipes, which is the Queens Own Highlanders setting.

I've added that setting to The Session.

Note that Bar 7 of both parts begins on g and lacks the rapid bit.

Pipe Major John McLellan, Highland Light Infantry, Boer War (not to be confused with Pipe Major John MacLellan, Seaforth Highlanders, World War Two) wrote some very nice tunes including

The Taking Of Beaumont Hamel
Lochanside
The Cowal Gathering
South Hall

which are often ascribed to John MacLellan.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle