Compliment leads to LOTR request

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
squidgirl
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Compliment leads to LOTR request

Post by squidgirl »

I was totally chuffed when the neighbor adjacent to the porch where I practice brought up, totally out of the blue, that he really enjoyed hearing me play the whistle, and said that I was improving fast. But then he went on to make a request: the whistle tunes from LOTR and The Hobbit movies (yeah sorry, I hear y'all sighing in the background, but it's important to keep the neighbors happy, right?)

I'm old and originally loved the books. and while I thought Peter Jackson did a great job with the LOTR movies, I have no interest in seeing The Hobbit dragged out into 3 more separate movies (feel free to convince me otherwise). So while I'm happy to honor his request, I have no idea how many whistle-able tunes there are from the movies or even what they're called to look them up

I was willing to pay for licensed sheet music, but encountered what seemed to me to be an inexplicable publishing gap. There appear to be lots of youtube tutorials but those people talk too much and drive me crazy. I learned to read music as a kid so I just want the darn dots (or abc)! Any suggestions of where to look?

Even just a list of tune names to google would help. Thanks!

:love: (the neighbor(s?) like my playing) :love:
cephalopods => weirdly intelligent
trill

Re: Compliment leads to LOTR request

Post by trill »

squidgirl wrote: . . .I just want the darn dots . . .
LOL !

Wish I could help, but I'm not a movie-goer.

Good Luck !

trill
Wiesbaden
Tell us something.: I play whistle and flute and have tried my hand at making PVC flutes. I'd like to join the forum to get and possibly give information to other people.

Post by Wiesbaden »

The neighbor probably wants the tune Concerning Hobbits. Googling it gives tons of sheet music in various keys.
vigaglum
Tell us something.: I am interested in pennywhistle and low whistles and play both. Folk music, mostly. I also have a passing interest in other traditional music.

Post by vigaglum »

I know Concerning Hobbits is the main theme from LOTR, but I don't know of any others.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

Some, if not all, the titles can be seen here - https://www.musicnotes.com/sheet-music/ ... -the-rings

Another place, if you want to purchase - https://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/th ... ic/5407012
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

There is a really well done fan recut of the three Hobbit moves that strips them down to one . The Maple hill recut is really pretty good. There was still some stuff I'd have cut out but it was pretty taut. I wasn't paying attention to the music, I'll admit.

The recut below is extremely professional and well done.

http://www.maple-films.com/downloads.html
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Sorry, double post
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I was hired to play one or two LOTR pieces at a wedding a few years ago. (I can't remember if both pieces I played were from LOTR, or just one.)

I wrote out whistle arrangements for the two pieces I played, it's just a matter of finding them.

OK a quick look found this arrangement in D, should be fine for whistle https://www.pinterest.com/pin/116038127887483883/
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
squidgirl

Post by squidgirl »

Thanks, everyone. I found an ABC transcription of Concerning Hobbits that MTGuru did a while back, and I've ordered the flute play-along book, since that seems like fun.

I decided I'm allowed to splurge on sheet music this week, since I'm waiting on a biopsy on what's probably just a minor bit of skin cancer on my forehead (my fair skin genes adapted to rainy islands in the Northern Atlantic clearly got too much sun time out on the water, obsessively sailing as a teen).

But still... retail therapy for the win! After all, it was on sale :lol: (covers the price of shipping, right? :D )
cephalopods => weirdly intelligent
bookman46
Tell us something.: Hello, I am attempting to register on the Chiff and Fipple forum in response to a suggestion from Joanie Madden. I related to her my inability to interact with like minded others with a love of Celtic music and whistle/flute music in particular. I am a fairly new tin whistle player and most certainly a total novice at this point. I have always loved the sound of the tin whistle, and so at the beginning of the pandemic I made the decision to learn to play. At 75 years of age this has been no mean feat. Time and old man arthritis have attempted to curtail my progress, but not to be defeated I perservered. It is my hope to continue to improve my playing skill and expand my knowledge of this wonderful music!!!

Post by bookman46 »

I don't go to many movies, but if they came out with 3 new Hobbit/LOTR per year I would attend. Just saying.....