Getting back into whistles could use advice

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
saberprince
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Looking for more infos on tin whistle brands and playing. I heard this is where alot of players converse.

Getting back into whistles could use advice

Post by saberprince »

Played for many years, though i ran into musical crossroads got rid of my collection. My favorite one i had was tweaked generation, i just loved that sound. I had bunch others including a gene milligan but i just couldnt connect with it. Any rate i want to get back into whistles, but i am looking at more higher range. Theres couple im interested in though i am not sure in comparision to old generation. i also saw freeman was making generations again that has that old sound so that is also option. Ones i was interested in was wild irish from mcneela, killarney, another tweaked generation. I like sweet pure sound not too airy, low breath requirement and well balanced thats not shrill or breaks easy. If any others around price range of those would work too.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Getting back into whistles could use advice

Post by fatmac »

Depending on the key you want, if high D, then I really like my Tony Dixon Trad brass, & my aluminium whistles, (I also have the same to play as piccolos), lovely tones.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
saberprince
Tell us something.: Looking for more infos on tin whistle brands and playing. I heard this is where alot of players converse.

Post by saberprince »

Yeah key of D. whistle is my second instrument im trying to learn and progress on concertina, have a minstrel on order atm, so i didnt want to start building another collection xD. I pretty much just need 1 D whistle since 95% i play is irish, sea shanties, or folk music. I might look at a C down road just mainly looking for D key.
skiingbanjo
Tell us something.: I have just started into the world of tin whistle and am taking lessons, but would love to find more information on your site.

Post by skiingbanjo »

The description of what you want is exactly how I would describe my Killarney D. (I also have a bunch of Generation and some Cobre which are great but don’t match your description as well.)
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

If you liked your tweaked generation itsa hard to not recommend that but I understand wanting something with more premium vibes.

I have a D by Chuck Tilbury, its definitely on the purer side. A tad soft blowing, but not too soft because I hate soft blowers and wouldn't like it if it was too soft. Solid tuning. I gave it the toothpaste treatment now it doesnt clog. It looks very nice, which is always a nice little + when you are spending a good amount. I definitely like it more than any of my cheap whistles. I'd recommend it if you want to try something different than the usual Sindt style ones. Sadly theres not a lot of videos out there to display the tone of the new model.

But if you wanted a Killarney and like how they sound its a much safer option because theres so much info out there, its easier to know what you are getting.
saberprince

Post by saberprince »

Thanks for comments, i do love brass sound i had a few nickel whistles seemed little too bright or loud for me haha i never had a plastic one like dixon so i am unsure of those. I thought bout just getting another freeman generation but i heard alot of good things of killnarey and idk bout wild irish which is clone of killnarey. killnarey was 96.00 and wild irish was 72.00. wasnt sure if they were close enough in quality or if killnarey was alot better quality and worth difference. ill have to look at others too and if there not much better than tweaked generation i might just stick with it.
Alaskamike
Tell us something.: I just bought a Clarke Sweetone and I’m interested in learning how to play it. My goal is to be able to play the whistle without my family complaining too much.

Post by Alaskamike »

I'll second the recommendation for the Dixon Trad. I have a bunch of different whistles but the Trad is my go to whistle - great tone and easy to play the second octave. It is also one of my quieter whistles (I prefer quiet for practicing).
squidgirl

Post by squidgirl »

Some thoughts:

1) The Dixon Trad is a great choice if you want something reliable right now while you decide on your high-end whistle

2) I love Jerry's whistles and quality-wise recommend them without reservation, but I feel compelled to mention that he has a lot going on with his health and large family. So while I prefer my Freeman whistles to my Dixon Trad, Jerrry may not be able to provide as reliably instant gratification as the mass-produced Trad.

3) I want a Killarney too!

4) And thanks for pointing out the Irish Rose as an option!! It also looks like just the kind of whistle I'd enjoy.

5) I find no moral issue with WHOA (Exhibit A: the vase of whistles next to me in my practice space). It's simply wise to do as you are, and research first so you accumulate whistles you actually enjoy playing.
cephalopods => weirdly intelligent
saberprince

Post by saberprince »

More thinking bout it, i think im gonna start back over on whistles. Its been so long I might just go with old feadog brass d or something. I know lower end quality was hit or miss, it was kind of fun feelin difference from one to another. Probally get some tweaked ones down road. Tbh im not worried on whistle being perfect, i just want it playable without gasping for air haha, especially for very quick jigs. When i get my concertina im making a case myself for it and i was gonna build a section to place few whistles in so i have both with me. I cant wait to get it, its a minstrel from concertina connection. Tho its 6 weeks to build it, so in meantime was getting back into whistles.

im not 100% sure though killarney sounds good too so ill give it more thought.

edit : ordered the killarney brass D, hair over 100 usd. Hoping i like sound in person as much.