Good whistles for playing along with recordings

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
est
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Kind of a beginner with a keyless flute and an antique wooden flute with keys. Used to play accordion back some time ago, but trying to focus on the flute, until I can get some degree of command over it.

Good whistles for playing along with recordings

Post by est »

Hi Folks,

I have a D Flute (and whistle), but there are a number of tunes that I encounter during my listening that are obviously played on flutes/whistles that aren't D or C and I wonder if purchasing a couple whistles might help me play along with those folks. Any recommendations? I guess tunable would be nice, since not all recordings are at concert pitch, but I think I can adjust playback enough to overcome that...at least some times. I'm pretty sure Bb and I haven't tried to figure out whether the other, more common one is EB or F (lower register, as opposed to a tiny one). I used to have some generation whistle for Bb and high F, but I don't remember them being particularly great...but, they are certainly cheap enough :)
busterbill

Re: Good whistles for playing along with recordings

Post by busterbill »

Depending on the keys of the recording you could find some success with a computer program. Sometimes recordings are not in concert pitch as you have noted or played in other keys. The Amazing Slow Downer is a program that has been out there for a long time. You can change the pitch or the speed or both without losing the musicality. It is a program you buy, but it has worked flawlessly for me for years. The pitch changing option is very flexible, making both huge and minute changes.

There are other programs out there. Some of them are free. But I am only familiar with the Amazing Slow Downer.

As for whistles... I will let others jump down that rabbit hole.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Re: Good whistles for playing along with recordings

Post by Narzog »

Some keys are more common than others, and some songs actually used virtual instruments, which can be in extra obscure keys. I would think an extreme majority of the time though that most professional recordings are concert pitch. If they weren't it wouldn't blend with the instruments well. and its very unlikely that they tuned their instruments out of tune to match an out of tune whistle/flute when they can pitch correct or use a in tune instrument.

Id say C is second most common to D. Low F can also play in Bb, but not all songs will have the correct range. In a similar fashion, Low A and G primarily play in D and C with different ranges. But my point is that it can be possible to get by without having all of them, because sometimes you can use either. Where if you have a high and low D, you can likely get by without an A if you don't want to buy one.

I feel your pain on not liking the cheap ones like generation. Maybe its just a coincidence but I've liked every higher end one I've bought more than its cheap alternative I've had. Theres some good mid price makers though. Check out the new Kerry Buskers, theres high D through Low F available. Susato are also good on a budget and I believe have great tuning. Nightingale are also cheap but can vary heavily by key, but these could be great for extra obscure keys that you want to have but dont want to break the bank. If you dont care about budget you can't go wrong with burke Goldie or Mk, whichever you prefer. I have 1 burke, my new one should come in in a couple days. You seem to already have a high D and C but I like mine by Chuck Tilbury, excellent crisp sound and tuning. Killarney are incredibly popular, and have good Eb and Bb to my knowledge.