Penny whistle in Eurovision song

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mrblister
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Penny whistle in Eurovision song

Post by mrblister »

Hi

I was watching Eurovision last night and there is a crazy, addictive, intense song from the Ukraine...which has a penny whistle riff.( You tube link below)

It's fun to play along, on a high D although there's a high note that escapes me?

https://youtu.be/fV4EKm5lkVk

Enjoy
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Penny whistle in Eurovision song

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It received some coverage in the press here :
It also has some kind of whistle/flute type affair – Ludicrous musical instruments!

:twisted:
My brain hurts

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

The link from mrblister doesn't work in the States, but I'm guessing this is the same vid, or at least the same song. Chernobyl and the rusty, kludged-together post-apocalyptic vehicle made for a nicely ironic setting, given the lyrics. Or perhaps the other way around, depending on your anchor. A reasonably fine art piece, taken together. The song itself though, hypnotic as it is, is structurally one-dimensional (obviously this is by design) and will not have much of a shelf life without the video to shore it up, I regret to predict.

"Ludicrous musical instruments"? That reviewer is an ill-handed swine who must have only recently been unchained from his microwave.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
kenny
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kenny »

I've no idea why, but I did actually half-watch through it last night , for the first time in maybe 20 years, and did notice the whistle in the Ukraine entry. I found the whole thing rather depressing, but then I'm not in any "target" audience of theirs. Set me to remembering some traditional musicians who have appeared in the past - maybe better not remind "Dervish" who did their best, but as they say," you can't polish a turd". They played their absolute best, but didn't really have anything to work with. I can remember seeing Cormac Breatnach playing whistle one year, and Karen Mathieson and most of "Capercaillie" were involved in the French entry one year. Amy Leonard,from Orkney, may be the only one ever to appear playing a bodhran. Any others ?
You had to feel sorry for our UK entry - nobody, no matter how bad ever deserves absolute zero, but as we say in Scotland, " if you flee [fly ] wi' the craws [ crows ], you can expect to be shot at".
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

kenny wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 2:35 pm ... as we say in Scotland, " if you flee [fly ] wi' the craws [ crows ], you can expect to be shot at".
I think I'll adopt that, if you don't mind. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician