Are there Low F whistle brands that's similar to Howard's and Killarney's

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
maiingan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi;
I have an Oak high D, Generation Bb, Dixon Alto A, Tilbury Low G, Humphrey low F and a Howard low D.

Are there Low F whistle brands that's similar to Howard's and Killarney's

Post by maiingan »

I have a Alba low F that's well made and beautiful. The back pressure on it is more than I am used to. I have or had the following: Oak high D, Killarney high D, Generation Bb, Dixon alto A and Howard Low D. None of these make me feel like I'm trying to blow up an unstretched balloon. I know if I practice with Alba over time that would probably get better. I thought if I could find a Low F that was comparable in back pressure to any of my other whistles I might see if there was anyone out there who wanted to trade. I love my Howard low D, it's easy to hit both octaves (3rd, well, that's me) and I love the sound to pieces. I loved how the Killarney high D sounded as well (traded it for the low F). My old Oak high D is also pretty clear. Don't know if you would call them less chiffy, more clear? Generation is a little gravely (chiffy?) but I like how my Howard and Killarney play the best. What Brands of whistles that make low F's would fit above specifications? Please keep back pressure in mind too.
Thanks;
Stay safe and hopefully healthy;

Patti
et succendam sibilus (blow the whistle) :thumbsup:
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Are there Low F whistle brands that's similar to Howard's and Killarney's

Post by fatmac »

Going by the Howard & Dixon whistles, which I have too, you should like a Shearwater Low F, (easy player/reasonably loud like the Howard), & maybe an MK which is a little bit 'stiffer' than the Dixon, but has great tone, & a bit louder; those are my two Low F whistles. :)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
maiingan
Tell us something.: Hi;
I have an Oak high D, Generation Bb, Dixon Alto A, Tilbury Low G, Humphrey low F and a Howard low D.

Post by maiingan »

fatmac wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:39 am Going by the Howard & Dixon whistles, which I have too, you should like a Shearwater Low F, (easy player/reasonably loud like the Howard), & maybe an MK which is a little bit 'stiffer' than the Dixon, but has great tone, & a bit louder; those are my two Low F whistles. :)
Thanks, Is the back pressure on you MK be much higher than your Shearwater? I don't really need a super loud whistle. I just am attracted to the clearness, (clartity, less chiffy?) of my Howard low D and the high D of Killarney and old Oak high D. Do yoy have MK Pro low F or Kelpie?
Stay safe and hopefully healthy;

Patti
et succendam sibilus (blow the whistle) :thumbsup:
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

My MK is a Kelpie, it does need a bit more air, but not that much, & it is a good clear tone, but the Shearwater is probably a better choice for what I think you are looking for.

(Try & find some sound comparisons online, if you can, I can't remember where I found them, but I bought mine from what I heard others playing them.)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I play an MK Pro low F, and I have never looked for another... It checks all the boxes for me. I find that it has resistance that feels right, and it is very much not an air hog. My MK low F is green in color, and it is amusing to watch first-time audience reaction, when I bring it on stage.
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

Byll wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 6:29 pm I play an MK Pro low F, and I have never looked for another... It checks all the boxes for me. I find that it has resistance that feels right, and it is very much not an air hog. My MK low F is green in color, and it is amusing to watch first-time audience reaction, when I bring it on stage.
Just a question on a tangent, Byll... who was Lisa Diane Cope, who offered that brilliant quote I like?
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979