How did you start whistling?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
lilymaid
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How did you start whistling?

Post by lilymaid »

I was curious how other folks got started whistling, since it seems a rather obscure little instrument. I'd listened to Irish music for awhile, and I heard Joanie Madden on a Cherish the Ladies album. I decided I had to learn to play whatever it was she was playing. I found out it was a whistle, ran a search, found Chiff and Fipple, did some reading and ordered my first two whistles from the Whistle Shop along with a couple of books. A year later I discovered the joys of the Poststructural Whistle Board. :)
Catch from the board of beauty
Such careless crumbs as fall.
- Edna St. Vincent Millay
rbm

Post by rbm »

Well a good few years ago my wife got me a 1880's round back mandolin for my birthday so I taught myself to play using tab, after about six months whistle classes started as a local night school, so I only went to learn to read music, and have played the whistle everysince....
.... oh yes I'm still rubbish at the mandolin :D
Cori

Couldn't be more newbie if I tried...

Post by Cori »

I've been playing for about 3 hours! I played bass guitar in a previous incarnation, then whimsically decided to see what was on the other side of the world. Everything not nailed to me was sold, but I've been thinking I need to get some music back in my life - so - the whistle seemed like a good plan.

Cooler than a recorder, more passionate than a piccolo and perkier than a harmonica.
All we have to decide is what to do with the tune that is given us.
Tweaked from Tolkien
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

I bought a Clarke Whistle & book for a friend who wanted to get back into playing, having played whistle at school in Ireland. I was so taken with the sound and the gold diamonds, within the week I had bought another one for myself.

For about a year before that I was playing irish melodies on the Mandolin, but was discouraged by the nature of class I was attending, and the fact that the mando was so quiet that I couldn't hear myself playing in a group. I thought I could transfer my Mando tunes to the whistle and then carry on from there.
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
tomcat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

I was at the mall and saw this music store - walked in and on the checkout stand was a box full of Feadogs. Purely impulse buying, but the price tag fit my budget and green was my favorite color - I was hooked!
carrie

Post by carrie »

I was in Ireland--drawn there mainly by the music of the Chieftains--and saw a whistle in a shop in Dublin. I bought it, a sweet little Feadog that even now with its cracked mouthpiece is my favorite cheap whistle. I've lost and found that whistle enough times to feel that it was meant to be in my life. I had a very frustrating time getting it into my head and fingers that the lowest note was D, not C. Too much *ahem* playing of 'another instrument' beforehand, I guess.

Carol
Tony
Tell us something.: I used to play pipes about 20 years ago and suddenly abducted by aliens.
Not sure why... but it's 2022 and I'm mysteriously baack...

Post by Tony »

Carol, what other instrument?

Cori... 3 hours?
What took you so long?
Welcome to C&F
carrie

Post by carrie »

Tony wrote:Carol, what other instrument?
*whispers: recorder*
Cori... 3 hours?
What took you so long?
Welcome to C&F
Yes, welcome!

Carol
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

I always enjoyed the sound of the so called "flute," I had no idea what a whistle was. I also wanted to have an instrument that did not require power and was portable enough for me to carry in my pocket, yet still have the power for it to have such a beautiful sound. Price was never a concern for me. My first whistle was a Nickel plated O'Briain in D which I paid around $35 or so. However my favorite is my $7 Clarke Sweetone at the moment.
Last edited by Gunnar on Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

Post by Jack »

I was having some horrible years, and after I got out of the hospital I got Sinéad O'Connor's 'Faith And Courage' cd, and there are tracks with (low) whistle, and long story short, I fell in love with her it moved me and I had to find out what instrument that was. Instead of heading down whistle path, I headed down Sinéad O'Connor path, and got nearly all of her albums shirts, books, etc. Then 3,000 cds later, and when she put out Sean Nos Nua (which I love), there was the whistle again, and it eventually led me here. That's the simplified version, of course.

I didn't tell you how I got drawn to whistle, I told you how I got drawn to here. LOL.
Last edited by Jack on Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Oh...and the first whistling site I ever visited was something called the Whistle Annex. The pages were brown, is about all I can remember. It linked me here and I didn't look back. :/
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I used to play RECORDER too, and have a pathetic need to visit music shops, and not leave empty handed.

I can barely remember my first Gen, but I was slightly amused by the instrument. Later, on another trip and another need to leave with something in my hands, I got a Clarke complete with tape and booklet. That got me a bit farther, but I was still unimpressed. After my first trip to Ireland, and coming back to find that there was a riproaring session right here near me, I began playing the RECORDER in session until some gentle teasing got me to bring a whistle, then play the whistle, then actually learn the ins and outs of the whistle.

Three months after that I found a Burke and found out that I could sound MUCH better, and enjoy my whistling a LOT more. Then a few months after that I found C&F, and got sucked in by WhOA. Wheeeee!

Total time from them to the present: 4 years
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I started playing recorder when I was about 14. But I wanted to play the flute. I had never heard whistles played properly so didn't consider them. I finally got a flute. Then (28 years later) I heard some whistle music and thought it was pretty good so I bought one (the Sweetone I still use). Then a year later I heard a guy at Stone Mountain GA playing really well on a whistle. So I went home and dug mine out and the rest is history.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Kar

Post by Kar »

I had taught myself the recorder (which I never really liked but hey, I could at least play it and I never got that far with bass, guitar, etc), so I was at Lark in the Morning to check out their wooden recorders and I saw one of the clerks demonstrating to a customer a Clarke original. I liked the sound, so I bought one for my boyfriend for his birthday; he's always wanted to play an instrument but was haunted by memories of frustrating sax lessons when he was a child. The clerk said it was "so easy a child could play it--easier than a recorder." I also got a book as well.

Well, back at home, I browsed the book, picked up the whistle and with my recorder experience (breath control, used to fingering, etc) it was a BREEZE. I kept the Clarke, got my boyfriend a Sweetone instead and I never looked back.

It's nice because I know EXACTLY when I started whistling, since it was the day before my boyfriend's birthday. Which means it's been a year and one month as of last Friday....
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I have only been playing for about 5 months. I bought my first whistle in about 1982 in an Irish shop at the BricK Market in Newport, Rhode Island. It was a Feadan. I didn't follow through at that time and kind of set it on a shelf. I played guitar and 5 string banjo but arthritis made it almost impossible to push down the strings. After coming back from Ireland last May I found my old Feadan and thought I might be able to learn to play. I began listening to a lot of Irish Music (longing to return to the loveliest place on earth). I began to play and WhOA I was hooked. I am not bad yet. I only have 12 whistles. I have made one low D (well it worked). I am working on a low G.
Ron