New Alto A Suggestions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Polara Pat
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

New Alto A Suggestions

Post by Polara Pat »

I have a really nice Alto A that J Freeman put together for me a couple years back that I really liked but unfortunately the head sheered in half at the band one day when taking it apart to clean. I did my best possible repair but the sound just isn't the same.
Does anyone have a suggestion for a similar replacement that won't break the bank?
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Re: New Alto A Suggestions

Post by RoberTunes »

I don't own one, but have been looking at the A, G, F altos as my next purchase, for being in that great mid-range of tones that avoids the high shrill of high D. From looking at a lot of performance reviews on YouTube, some great whistles in the mid to low price range are available.

1) the Tony Dixon aluminum alto A seems to have a great tone, outstanding expressiveness possibilities and a sense of clarity and precision in the playing; the notes pop out with a great sense of definition. That might be a result of being an ideal match of bore size with mouthpiece design, I don't know. People who have them, should chime in on that. I have a Dixon aluminum in high D and the quality is aces.
2) the Shearwater whistles have a great tone too, with a little more breathiness but it's completely blended with the tone, to create a very rich musical tone I really like.
3) Chris Wall makes A's and the tone is very good, reviews are great and the price is very reasonable ($65 showing online).
4) Goldfinch whistles make an A. Goldfinch whistles have a very bird-like tone I find a little unique and very appealing. Prices are very reasonable. Reviews consistently very good.
5) I don't know your price range or whether you want more of a traditional tin whistle sound or a more rich and expressively diverse whistle, but consider the Kerry whistle's Busker line.

6) Wish List >> it's not even made (yet), but if the Killarney was available in an A, I'm sure it would be popular. Same thing with the Kerry whistle's Optima line, it's just not listed as being available in A (yet?). Maybe post-COVID more options will show up again on the market. Keep your eye on the Bracker Whistles site, as probably due to COVID, there are no orders being taken currently, but an A is on their website, and if you click the "A", a page opens with sound samples. Prices not listed currently. Maybe by summer/fall?
trill

Post by trill »

I have a Dixon A. Black, polymer, tunable.

I like it just fine.

It's great for Ashokan Farewell (in D).

trill
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

In 'A' I have Tony Dixon Trad brass & aluminium, both have nice tones, (the Trad maybe has a little bit more of an edge) - & then I have my favourite 'A' - my aluminium Thunderbird. :thumbsup:
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
BigDavy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by BigDavy »

Get a new one from Freeman.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
Polara Pat
Tell us something.: In an effort to ease from lurker to forum member; I'm hoping that this elite gang of whistlers will help this very green player to advance to the next stage. My current stage is slightly below novice and is only permitted in the garage like the dog I am. Oh yah, not a robot.

Post by Polara Pat »

RoberTunes wrote:I don't own one, but have been looking at the A, G, F altos as my next purchase, for being in that great mid-range of tones that avoids the high shrill of high D. From looking at a lot of performance reviews on YouTube, some great whistles in the mid to low price range are available.

1) the Tony Dixon aluminum alto A seems to have a great tone, outstanding expressiveness possibilities and a sense of clarity and precision in the playing; the notes pop out with a great sense of definition. That might be a result of being an ideal match of bore size with mouthpiece design, I don't know. People who have them, should chime in on that. I have a Dixon aluminum in high D and the quality is aces.
2) the Shearwater whistles have a great tone too, with a little more breathiness but it's completely blended with the tone, to create a very rich musical tone I really like.
3) Chris Wall makes A's and the tone is very good, reviews are great and the price is very reasonable ($65 showing online).
4) Goldfinch whistles make an A. Goldfinch whistles have a very bird-like tone I find a little unique and very appealing. Prices are very reasonable. Reviews consistently very good.
5) I don't know your price range or whether you want more of a traditional tin whistle sound or a more rich and expressively diverse whistle, but consider the Kerry whistle's Busker line.

6) Wish List >> it's not even made (yet), but if the Killarney was available in an A, I'm sure it would be popular. Same thing with the Kerry whistle's Optima line, it's just not listed as being available in A (yet?). Maybe post-COVID more options will show up again on the market. Keep your eye on the Bracker Whistles site, as probably due to COVID, there are no orders being taken currently, but an A is on their website, and if you click the "A", a page opens with sound samples. Prices not listed currently. Maybe by summer/fall?

Wow, you just saved me a ton of research. Thanks. The Kerry is really standing out for me and I've been thinking about getting a low whistle from him anyways. I wonder how receptive he is to chatting?
I have a Dixon Trad and like it well enough but it doesn't get that much play lately. I also have a high D Chris Wall which I really like but it's taking a break since my old timey Sindt arrived. Lots to think about here.

BigDavy wrote:Get a new one from Freeman.

David
I won't be going that route
Flotineer
Tell us something.: New fluter. Recovering piper... What with one thing and another I’m learning the flute, but I’ve been learning Irish music for a while now.

Post by Flotineer »

I have a very soft and pure sounding A from Mack Hoover. Clear tone, easy to play. He will also make a new head to put on the existing body, if that’s what you want.
trill

Post by trill »

I ordered a "whitecap" head for a Generation barrel from Mack Hoover a long time ago (15+ years).

It's a fine mouthpiece !

Very low breath requirement. Very pure tone. Installed without any fuss.

Also, Mack was easy to reach + communicate.

Highly recommended !

trill
Polara Pat

Post by Polara Pat »

trill wrote:I ordered a "whitecap" head for a Generation barrel from Mack Hoover a long time ago (15+ years).

It's a fine mouthpiece !

Very low breath requirement. Very pure tone. Installed without any fuss.

Also, Mack was easy to reach + communicate.

Highly recommended !

trill
This is very promising news. Do you have a direct contact?
Flotineer
Tell us something.: New fluter. Recovering piper... What with one thing and another I’m learning the flute, but I’ve been learning Irish music for a while now.

Post by Flotineer »

hoover(dot)mc@gmail(dot)com

He is quite responsive.

Edited to add:

https://praisewhistlers.org/mackhooverw ... stles.html
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I've owned and played a number of mezzo A whistles over the years, the two best IMHO have been

1) Freeman

2) Sindt

Nothing else I've tried has been in the same league with these.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle