Gene Milligan B flat Whistle Questions

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ben Shaffer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Gene Milligan B flat Whistle Questions

Post by Ben Shaffer »

Well I haven't picked up the whistle in years and don't have one to pick up if I even wanted to. I'm thinking about getting one of Gene Milligans B flat Whistles
Question #1
Do you use a regular grip when holing a B flat Whistle or a pipers grip? ( I have average size Hands)
Question #2
Session or practice Mouthpiece? ( playing around the Kitchen table, but want good Volume)

Question #3
Blackwood, Rosewood, or Delrin?

Thanks in advance!
Ben Shaffer
GSO,NC
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Re: Gene Milligan B flat Whistle Questions

Post by Narzog »

Hopefully someone who has one will comment and have more info. But
#1: I personally pipers grip Bb's but I hate fingertip grip. You should be able to do either.
#2: Not sure, you can probobly email the maker and ask if session is normal volume or extra loud.
#3: Rosewood looks awesome. Wood requires upkeep. Assuming its the same as flutes. Delrin is 0 upkeep. Which is an excellent perk. But running a little cleaning rod through it for 2 seconds when your done playing isnt hard, and oiling it doesnt have to be done that often. So if I was buying a whistle from a maker that sells wood I would go rosewood.

Just my opinions.
YangLe
Tell us something.: I am a new player from China. I have studied whistle and flute for one year. Not many people play whistle and flute in China. There are no related forums and websites to learn. that's why I want to learn about whistle and flute in this forum

Post by YangLe »

I bought a highD and a Bb milligan delrin whistle with practice mouthpieces in December last year, I was very disappointed with them and returned them all, you can see my review under this video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeFFnYYgbRM&t=1s

In addition, the most serious problem of Bb whistle is the large air requirement, which has a much influence on the playing, but its volume is small. I think it is not as good as my $17 Susato Oriole Bb whistle. At the price of $250, you have more reasonable choices.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

I'm a very casual player, but I find normal grip on all sizes down to low G, from low F I need a modified grip down to low D.

Most whistles I have can be quite loud, but it's possible to play them reasonably gently/quietly too.

Definitely Delrin would be for me, sounds quite like wooden, & is what I prefer for my flutes, as it's easy to care for - having said that I personally prefer an aluminium whistle. :D
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.