Looking for feedback on McNeela's Wild Irish Whistle - again

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Alaskamike
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just bought a Clarke Sweetone and I’m interested in learning how to play it. My goal is to be able to play the whistle without my family complaining too much.

Looking for feedback on McNeela's Wild Irish Whistle - again

Post by Alaskamike »

I asked about the Wild Irish Whistle when they first came out, but I realize that it was too soon for folks to have tried them.
Now, with dozens of positive reviews on the McNeela website, I will ask again here, what do people think of this whistle? I'd be particularly how it compares to the Killarney.

I have one, and I like it. It has very distinct registers. A lot of reviews I read say it takes very little air and is quiet, but compared to the other whistles on my desk I would say it takes a little air (more than a Dixon, less than a Feadog) and is medium loud (again, louder than a Dixon, quieter than a Feadog). I think it's a good whistle and I enjoy playing it. The biggest learning curve for me is that the whistle must be warmed up before playing - more so than a metal whistle with a plastic mouthpiece.
est
Tell us something.: Kind of a beginner with a keyless flute and an antique wooden flute with keys. Used to play accordion back some time ago, but trying to focus on the flute, until I can get some degree of command over it.

Re: Looking for feedback on McNeela's Wild Irish Whistle - a

Post by est »

I bought the D when it first came out. I got it because my rusty old Clark was having trouble (small dent near the wooden fipple) and I figured it was worth spending a bit more money on something a bit more "professional".

I think the pitch is more correct than either my dixon practice flute and my clark (mainly thinking of the C natural). The 2nd register is much nicer than on the clark, but I find myself squeaking sometimes when I switch registers, though. I suspect that's really more about me than the instrument since I really don't spend much time on the whistle. I bought it because I was using the clark when I got too tired to maintain a good pitch, but my embouchure had strengthened up enough for that not to be a problem by the time it arrived.

Volume wise, I honestly haven't noticed a problem. I do remember avoiding the high register with the clark when practicing certain songs many years ago when I played it more often, but...I haven't really noticed that to a problem these days. Maybe I've just gotten old enough lose some of those high frequencies. Or...maybe the rust has mellowed the tone a bit? :)
Alaskamike
Tell us something.: I just bought a Clarke Sweetone and I’m interested in learning how to play it. My goal is to be able to play the whistle without my family complaining too much.

Post by Alaskamike »

It's not that it is a loud whistle - it's just that it isn't a quiet as the reviews on their website make it out to be.

What I'm finding interesting is that there are a lot of positive reviews on their website but not much talk about the whistle here on C&F. I think it's a good whistle, and I was kind of hoping to have that opinion confirmed (or denied).

The only times it squeaks for me is when I'm not blowing hard enough for the upper octave and when it hasn't warmed up yet. Usually after a minute it plays much nicer (or maybe I adjust to it over a minute).

Mike
est
Tell us something.: Kind of a beginner with a keyless flute and an antique wooden flute with keys. Used to play accordion back some time ago, but trying to focus on the flute, until I can get some degree of command over it.

Post by est »

Yeah, I suspect my issue was something like that.

Reviews are a funny thing. It's hard to know whether they police the reviews and remove negative comments. One would hope not, but it's certainly not a hard thing to build into a site like that.

I'm happy with mine. I really should play it more.