Repeat symbol question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Gary90
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I don't know what you wan't to know. Other than I am not a spammer who is has to write a minimum of 100 characters.

Repeat symbol question

Post by Gary90 »

Hi guys, i am a bit confused here as to what part of music i am supposed to repeat when there is a repeat symbol at the end off a bar.
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Re: Repeat symbol question

Post by fatmac »

You show 2 || which is an end - whilst :|| is a repeat back to the start of that particular part.
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

I don't see a repeat symbol at the end of of that, or on any of those bars. I see a double bar-line, which indicates the end of the piece, or the end of a section.

Notation practices with different types of music style and notation styles vary. One common "repeat this section" notation is the double vertical dots beside a bar-line or double bar-line, at the start and end of the section to be repeated. Sometimes it's put in text, with brackets or dashes showing which bars to repeat. Sometimes they mark it with a highlighter pen and write, "Hey Steve, on Thursday, repeat this section at the end because Andy's going to be showing off his new snare at the gig near the hospital and and wants to wind up the song with 30 seconds of fancy brush work because chicks dig it and that place is full of nurses."
Gary90
Tell us something.: I don't know what you wan't to know. Other than I am not a spammer who is has to write a minimum of 100 characters.

Post by Gary90 »

RoberTunes wrote:I don't see a repeat symbol at the end of of that, or on any of those bars. I see a double bar-line, which indicates the end of the piece, or the end of a section.

Notation practices with different types of music style and notation styles vary. One common "repeat this section" notation is the double vertical dots beside a bar-line or double bar-line, at the start and end of the section to be repeated. Sometimes it's put in text, with brackets or dashes showing which bars to repeat. Sometimes they mark it with a highlighter pen and write, "Hey Steve, on Thursday, repeat this section at the end because Andy's going to be showing off his new snare at the gig near the hospital and and wants to wind up the song with 30 seconds of fancy brush work because chicks dig it and that place is full of nurses."
:D Well, i'm not going to forget the difference now am I.

Thanks guys, still learning the basics off reading music
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Code: Select all

1   |2   |3   |4   |
Play 1 2 3 4

1   |2   |3   |4   ||
Play 1 2 3 4

1   |2   |3   |4   :||
Play 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4

1   |2   ||:3   |4   :||
Play 1 2 3 4 3 4
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Gary90

Post by Gary90 »

Peter Duggan wrote:

1   |2   |3   |4   |
Play 1 2 3 4

1   |2   |3   |4   ||
Play 1 2 3 4

1   |2   |3   |4   :||
Play 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4

1   |2   ||:3   |4   :||
Play 1 2 3 4 3 4
Thank you Peter
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Then it gets more complicated with "1st time" and "2nd time" endings.

I will mention that I made my living for a time as a studio musician, and I don't think I ever saw anything written with repeats.

Instead they write everything out in full.

I think it's to remove a potential cause of screw-ups; repeats would mean having all the musicians jumping around on the page when they're sightreading full speed during the recording.

Highland pipe music, on the other hand, loves repeats, 1st time/2nd time etc especially in piobaireachd. A studio musician would be puzzled by the way tunes are written in the Kilberry book!
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
fintano
Tell us something.: Because I play flute and whistle.

With a toot on the flute and a twiddle on the fiddle
Hopping in the middle like a herrin on the griddle
Up, down, hands around and crossing to the wall
Sure hadn't we the gaiety at Phil the Fluter's ball

Post by fintano »

Theoretically a repeated section has a ||: at the beginning and a :|| at the end. The repeat sign at the beginning can be omitted if it is the absolute beginning of the piece. And you may have first and second endings.

Irish and Scottish traditional music generally consists of a succession of sections that are either repeated or not. So sometimes the start repeat symbol ||: is omitted because "everyone knows" that when you get to the end of a section you will be told whether to repeat it or not by the appearance or absence of a :||. You can get away with this because of the predictability of the structure. Usually all the sections are the same length (except for set dances), but sometimes the repeats are written out because of some variation.

I have also seen French traditional music written with repeats, first and second endings, but as well as that "everyone knows" that you have to play the whole section twice over, which is nowhere indicated in the notation. If one section appears to be half as long as the others, that is a sign to be suspicious. Usually.

In some classical music, it is the custom to play the piece twice over, the second time round omitting the repeats. Maybe this is more a matter of personal preference.

Many many jazz tunes have the structure AABA, where generally A and B are eight bars long. Frequently people get careless about the notation, and you might see
||: A :|| B ||
because "everyone knows" that you're supposed to go back and play another A section after the B. Except some tunes don't do that.

What pancelticpiper says is instructive. Studio musicians do not have time to deal with "Stuff everyone is supposed to know". There are different models for making music. One is--play the notes correctly while wasting as little studio time as possible. Another is--adopt the piece as your own, work on it lovingly for weeks or months, developing it to its full potential as best you can. Another is--you specialize in a particular genre and you learn all the ins and outs of that particular genre. The role that notation plays in these different models will vary.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

I noticed some people playing some classical Bach tunes very similar to an Irish tune -- often there is an A part and B part and both get one repeat. But some play it just once.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Then there's tunes like The Gravel Path/Walk where I hear people repeat only the fourth part.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

fintano wrote:In some classical music, it is the custom to play the piece twice over, the second time round omitting the repeats. Maybe this is more a matter of personal preference.
Where you get forms like minuet & trio in baroque and earlier classical music, current performance practice typically differs from that of the day when composers would have expected:

Minuet = A A B B
Trio = X X Y Y
Minuet = A A B B

Where modern players (except in HIP fields) usually play:

Minuet = A A B B
Trio = X X Y Y
Minuet = A B

Because it's once composers like Mozart and Beethoven start to write (then omit) instructions like 'da capo senza repetizione' that the more recent convention starts to get established and then retrospectively applied.

But we are digressing somewhat from the original question here!
Sedi wrote:I noticed some people playing some classical Bach tunes very similar to an Irish tune -- often there is an A part and B part and both get one repeat. But some play it just once.
Again, Bach would have expected his repeats to be played.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?