What's new in whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
TXwhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I moved, so I'm in a different city. Not in Texas anymore!!! Although if someone sees that I'm in NYC, maybe they'll know of local places that I can look for whistles.

What's new in whistles?

Post by TXwhistle »

Hi all, I used to post here a long time ago and now I'm back. :D

I used to have 10ish whistles, but after a couple of moves, it appears I'm down to two: a Clarke Meg D and a Generation nickel Bb. (both purchased pre-2005) Of course I can't only have two whistles, so I'm in the market for more. I used to have a Clarke Original D and SweeTone C, plus an Acorn D and a Walton Little Black Whistle. Not sure of the others.

Are these still the go-to brands for inexpensive playing? I don't want to miss out on something good.
Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Re: What's new in whistles?

Post by Sedi »

Two of the best cheap whistles in my experience, are the Waltons Mellow D (I don't like the little black one, but maybe I was just unlucky with my specimen) and the Oak. I think the Oak is different enough from the Acorn to try one, even if you already had an Acorn. AFAIK they are from the same company, but the Oak has a thicker barrel (same as the Feadog Pro but the Oak is cheaper) and is tunable out of the box.
TXwhistle
Tell us something.: I moved, so I'm in a different city. Not in Texas anymore!!! Although if someone sees that I'm in NYC, maybe they'll know of local places that I can look for whistles.

Post by TXwhistle »

Sedi wrote:Two of the best cheap whistles in my experience, are the Waltons Mellow D (I don't like the little black one, but maybe I was just unlucky with my specimen) and the Oak. I think the Oak is different enough from the Acorn to try one, even if you already had an Acorn. AFAIK they are from the same company, but the Oak has a thicker barrel (same as the Feadog Pro but the Oak is cheaper) and is tunable out of the box.
I for sure never had an Oak, so I'll put that on the list. And I'll check out the Mellow D.
Narzog
Tell us something.: Can play several instruments at an unimpressive level. Currently most interested in whistling with a side of acoustic guitar.

Post by Narzog »

I dont have one but Killarney look and sound wonderful, so if you were looking to add something nice and shiny with a higher price tag to your whistle stash, could be a great option. I also like my dixon d trad, is only a tad more expensive than generations and stuff.
TXwhistle

Post by TXwhistle »

Narzog wrote:I dont have one but Killarney look and sound wonderful, so if you were looking to add something nice and shiny with a higher price tag to your whistle stash, could be a great option. I also like my dixon d trad, is only a tad more expensive than generations and stuff.
Wow, the Killarney are really pretty!
TXwhistle

Post by TXwhistle »

I might have to buy this Walton, just because it's pink. :love:
fatmac
Tell us something.: Kickbiker - at over 70!
:lol:

Post by fatmac »

In the low price/high whistle category I have, Generation brass & nickel, Feadog, Walton little black, Clarkes Sweetone & Meg, Tony Dixon Trad brass & ABS one piece.

(Slightly higher priced I have Tony Dixon aluminium whistles.)
Keith.
Trying to do justice to my various musical instruments.
TXwhistle

Post by TXwhistle »

fatmac wrote:Feadog
I have never owned a Feadog. I should probably have one.
Alaskamike
Tell us something.: I just bought a Clarke Sweetone and I’m interested in learning how to play it. My goal is to be able to play the whistle without my family complaining too much.

Post by Alaskamike »

Another low cost whistle to look at is the Clare. The easiest way to order one is through eBay (they have a store presence). I have a two-piece Clare that is pretty good. YMMV, but I find the Feadog to be a little raspy.
TXwhistle

Post by TXwhistle »

I have a Generation brass D on the way and one of the pretty Generation Auroras--couldn't help myself.
Alaskamike wrote:Another low cost whistle to look at is the Clare. The easiest way to order one is through eBay (they have a store presence). I have a two-piece Clare that is pretty good. YMMV, but I find the Feadog to be a little raspy.
I've heard of Clare, but never owned one. I will definitely look for their eBay store.
MadmanWithaWhistle
Tell us something.: Instrument maker and researcher exploring new methods of creating traditional instruments with longevity aforethought. Player of the whistle, flute, and continental European border pipes.

Post by MadmanWithaWhistle »

I'm finally getting ready to release my own line of Classic-Generation-inspired high whistles, which I've mentioned a few times in the past here. It's been slow going during the pandemic due to burnout both on the project and my day job. However, I rallied some energy recently and am finishing up the tonebodies for E, Eb, and D, and I'll be sending them on a whistle tour if folks are interested here. These whistles feature a powerful low octave (you can even honk the bell note a bit) yet a sweet high octave that doesn't stray into piercing if one plays with good technique. My "red top" model is the closest to an old Gen, and has a lot of nice scratch and 'free articulations,' which is what I call those distinctive crossing noises they make. The "blue top" model is a little mellower and rounder sounding, although with fewer free articulations.

Oddly enough, the tonebodies are the part that's been the most head-scratching to me. My headjoint design took a long time to dial in, sure, but I understand a lot more about how the key dimensions interact with each other there than in the barrel. Always more to learn!
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

MadmanWithaWhistle wrote:I'm finally getting ready to release my own line of Classic-Generation-inspired high whistles, which I've mentioned a few times in the past here. It's been slow going during the pandemic due to burnout both on the project and my day job. However, I rallied some energy recently and am finishing up the tonebodies for E, Eb, and D, and I'll be sending them on a whistle tour if folks are interested here.
I am interested in participating and have sent you a pm.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

a whistle tour
I really hope you intend to include some industrial strength sanitiser with that.

I'd be happy, and curious, enough to give one of these whistles a spin, should the opportunity arise, but am not convinced this is the right time to send windinstruments from one person to the next.
My brain hurts

TXwhistle

Post by TXwhistle »

Looking forward to hearing more MadManWithaWhistle!

As for me, I have a couple of Generations coming my way (a brass D and Aurora). I've also ordered a Feadog C. Super excited!
TxWhistler
Tell us something.: I have recently retired and have always wanted to learn to play a musical instrument. I'm leaning to play the whistle and now the flute.

Post by TxWhistler »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
a whistle tour
I really hope you intend to include some industrial strength sanitiser with that.

I'd be happy, and curious, enough to give one of these whistles a spin, should the opportunity arise, but am not convinced this is the right time to send windinstruments from one person to the next.

No need for industrial strength sanitizer, just a simple solution of 70% or better of alcohol and water will kill the virus per the US CDC if my memory serves me correctly. Since this past May I have bought over 3 dozen whistles. About 80% of them were used. I treated each one as though it hadn't been cleaned and gave them a good washing with the sanitizer before they ever touched my lips. No problems.