Tin whistles in the wind

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
belayatron
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been learning the tin whistle for just under 2 years (as of Jan 2020) and wanting to learn more! Currently own about 11 High D whistles, 2 Low Ds, 2 Flutes and favourite tune is probably off to California with a general love of Irish Hornpipes.

Tin whistles in the wind

Post by belayatron »

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know if any products exist to allow you to play tin whistle in a breeze?
Mine lose their sound in even a slight breeze.

Thank you
Steve Bliven

Re: Tin whistles in the wind

Post by Steve Bliven »

Here's Kevin Crawford demonstrating one product...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixckTW21e4I

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Turning the head upside down, window facing down, may alleviate problems.
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

It all depends on how strong the wind is.

And in my experience the problem gets worse the bigger the whistle.

I've told the story of the beach wedding here (standing in the sand with water potentially lapping around your feet) at which the Bride insisted on a particular tune on Low Whistle.

We generally have a good breeze coming in off the Pacific, and I warned the Bride that when it was time for me to play her special tune my whistle might not function. I recommended the uilleann pipes which are pretty much unaffected by wind, or flute on which the player can sort of power through the wind.

But no, she had to have her tune on Low Whistle! The outcome was predictable, with the whistle cutting in and out. Didn't matter which way I turned or which way I had the headjoint turned (I know about the backwards headjoint trick) it was pretty much a disaster.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Steve Bliven wrote:Here's Kevin Crawford demonstrating one product...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixckTW21e4I
Classic Crawford :)
Katharine
Tell us something.: Something..............................................................................................

Post by Katharine »

Best wishes.

Steve
Hm. I should try that. It can't look too much weirder than me playing at outdoor church services with my back turned to the congregation in the parking lot...
Here's tae us--
Wha's like us?
Damn few--
And they're a' deid--
Mair's the pity.
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

Mr.Gumby wrote:Turning the head upside down, window facing down, may alleviate problems.
I stared at this in confusion for about a minute until I realized you meant turning the whistle's head upside down, not the human's!
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

It can get like that in St. Paul. They say there's something in the water...

A blast rom the past, seeing familiar faces in the crowd. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
swizzlestick
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by swizzlestick »

Too bad we don't have the equivalent of the win-d-fender for whistles!

https://win-d-fender.com/innovation-in-engineering
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

swizzlestick wrote:Too bad we don't have the equivalent of the win-d-fender for whistles!

How about a rubber funnel flask adapter? Slide the right size over the mouthpiece so the flare shields the windway, and it could work.

"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Peter Duggan
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Post by Peter Duggan »

Nanohedron wrote:Slide the right size over the mouthpiece so the flare shields the windway, and it could work.
If it's close enough to shield, it would probably also flatten the pitch.
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

swizzlestick wrote:Too bad we don't have the equivalent of the win-d-fender for whistles!

Wow. The hyperbole is over the top:

"Computer Aided Design (CAD), Human Centered Design (HCD) and Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) methodologies standardized in the automotive, aerospace, defense and construction industries were fundamental in the Win-D-Fender design. The Win-D-Fender represents thousands of hours of engineering calculations, computer simulations, user trials, and laboratory validation."

I think I could make that out of a used medicine bottle in 15 minutes.

(For whistle it would be simpler, a bottle that fits over the windway area with some small holes drilled in it.)
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Peter Duggan wrote:
Nanohedron wrote:Slide the right size over the mouthpiece so the flare shields the windway, and it could work.
If it's close enough to shield, it would probably also flatten the pitch.
That is correct. I tried some different wind shields around the fipple window and when they worked the tone went flat.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
belayatron
Tell us something.: Been learning the tin whistle for just under 2 years (as of Jan 2020) and wanting to learn more! Currently own about 11 High D whistles, 2 Low Ds, 2 Flutes and favourite tune is probably off to California with a general love of Irish Hornpipes.

Post by belayatron »

Thanks everyone, sounds like nothing exists, possibly due to the laws of physics!

@mr Gumby, thanks I’ve tried that before and it helps a little but I think my whistle (or playing) may be particularly prone to wind cutting it out as still a small breeze makes it unplayable.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Has anyone tried a covid face shield? My daughter has a couple distributed from her place of employment. Without a mask for stopping the wearer from spreading virus they are worthless, as the breath ricochets out of the shield and shoots out back and down. I have seen them advertised as mask substitutes and used on TV shows so you can see the actor's face. But the science is not there. They are intended to protect the wearer from particulates coming at them. (Hence the name shield, as in non-metaphorical slings and arrows to misquote Hamlet.)

I would think this would include wind. The sound comes out the back and sides, so you may find yourself back to your listeners if you don't use a microphone. But this or something like this might spawn a solution. Hopefully we will all need to find creative ways to recycle our covid gear within the year.