R.J. Ward & Sons Liverpool Whistle Info

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Imperialfarmboy87
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I have been playing Irish Whistles for over 15 years. I first visited Chiff and Fipple back when I was in high school. I'm getting back into playing more and want to broaden my knowledge base.

R.J. Ward & Sons Liverpool Whistle Info

Post by Imperialfarmboy87 »

So I inherited a Bb, all brass, R.J. Ward and Sons Liverpool Tin Whistle. There is very little information out there that I could find. Does anyone else have one of these whistles? Does anyone know approximate year of make or any other info? All I could find is they were once renowned for their military intruments.
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: R.J. Ward & Sons Liverpool Whistle Info

Post by ytliek »

Any chance you could post a photo of the whistle?
whistlecollector

Post by whistlecollector »

This thread might be of interest, regarding the maker if not the whistle itself.
-- A tin whistle a day keeps the racketts at bay.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373
RoberTunes
Tell us something.: I am a flute, guitar, keyboard + whistle player learning about quality whistles, musical possibilities and playing techniques. I've recorded a CD of my own music and am creating music for kids.

Post by RoberTunes »

Would like to see a photo. I searched and found nothing. I did find very old whistles, car and motorcycle exhaust whistles, safety whistle advice and the life history of ACME whistles.

The closest I got was this unfortunate news, within the data for J Hudson and Co.:
> 1903 H A Ward stops making whistles. (Year of death)

Notes: I don't see anything relating H.A. Ward to R.J. Ward. ACME makes about 5 million whistles a year. Music whistle makers have a little catching up to do. Whoad to us all!
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

THE LIVERPOOL EXHIBITION 1886

Messrs. R. J. Ward & Sons, of St. Anne's Street, Liverpool, exhibit a collection of military brass, wood, reed, string, and other instruments, which have all been manufactured wholly or in part by this firm at Liverpool. Their clarionets, flutes, piccolos, are also shown, and it is pointed out that these are manufactured of the finest selected and seasoned woods, being, for the most part, expressly designed for Indian, African, and Colonial markets. Among the other instruments made by the firm are a special kind of high-class banjo. Another interesting exhibit is the firm's patent folding music-stand, which weighs only 3½ lbs. The firm also show Armitage's patent valves, which may be attached to any brass wind instrument. Another department of their collection is devoted to curiosities in the way of old English and foreign instruments of every kind, including magnificently decorated tambourines and banjos. A further object is a golden violin, got up in an elaborate style of decoration, and bearing the likeness in oil colours of Mr. D. Radcliffe, the Mayor of Liverpool, and promoter of this exhibition. As the firm manufacture expressly for the colonial and foreign markets, our readers should obtain a catalogue and price-list, prepared specially in connection with this exhibition, containing a well-written account of the different instruments made and carefully-executed illustrations.

Source: The British Trade Journal - 1st May 1886

WARD, ARTHUR J., of 102 Conway-street, Birkenhead ; THOMAS JOHN and JOHN FRANCIS, of South Seacombe-terrace, Seacombe; and RICHARD J., of Dinas-lane, Roby, compose the firm of R. J. Ward & Sons, musical instrument makers, 10 St. Anne-street, and 67 Dale-street, Liverpool, which has a worldwide reputation as being the chief existing one in this trade. It was founded by R. J. Ward, the father, who had been an apprentice to J. G. Roe. Mr. Roe was then the leading man in musical instrument making, from whom came most of the goods sold by London and Manchester firms. At that time there were competitors. On Roe's death, fifty years ago, young Ward succeeded to the business, and he and his sons have fully maintained its reputation. The trade-mark is a drum bearing the motto, “Beats all the world." They have secured the highest awards at all Exhibitions, including the Paris, 1886; Royal Military, 1890; and International, 1890, for superior goods; and are contractors to the Army and Navy. Locally they supply the police, volunteer, and almost every other band. They manufacture every kind of wind, reed, brass, and string instruments; violins, banjos, concertinas, accordeons, mandolines, guitars, harps, musical boxes, etc. ; and thus, as far as with them lies, sustain the reputation of Liverpool against all the world. They have branches at 102 Conway-street, Birkenhead, and in Paris.

Source: Liverpool's Legion of Honour - B. Guinness Orchard - 1893

R.J. Ward & Sons (Richard Joseph Ward, Charles John Ward and Thomas Walton Ward) entered their mark, 'RJW' contained within an oblong punch, with the Chester Assay Office on the 23rd August 1921.
My brain hurts