Festivals this year?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Festivals this year?

Post by Nanohedron »

ecadre wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:40 pm
Nanohedron wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:37 pm
ecadre wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:29 am Yeah, "staid" :-D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEi3hCAVmn8
Wow. Is that what they call a mosh pit?
I'm not sure how serious you're being :-D
It was an (apparently lame) attempt at humor.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

Nanohedron wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:52 pm
ecadre wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 6:40 pm
Nanohedron wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:37 pm Wow. Is that what they call a mosh pit?
I'm not sure how serious you're being :-D
It was an (apparently lame) attempt at humor.
Ah, mosh pits ... that's where they rip their shirts off and start headbutting each other. I think that sort of thing only goes on at dances in the wilder parts of the West Country :-P
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Ah, mosh pits ... that's where they rip their shirts off and start headbutting each other. I think that sort of thing only goes on at dances in the wilder parts of the West Country
Sounds a bit like the Trad Discos that were all the rage at the Ennis trad fest a decade ago. :P
My brain hurts

Brus

Post by Brus »

Well, it certainly looked like pre-Covid times at the Celtic Fling near Harrisburg in Pennsylvania yesterday.

Non-vaccinated people were supposed to wear masks, but I don't think I saw more than a dozen. This is a large festival with thousands of people. Attendance appeared to be normal.

Tickets were limited to advance sales only to enforce 3/4 capacity restrictions, but I don't think they reach that in a normal year (they typically get more people for a Ren Faire held at the same grounds later in the year). The online ticket sales never shut down.

No distancing requirements were enforced, though there seemed to be a tendency to leave an empty seat between groups of people who were obviously together.

The bands were more heavily US-based than usual, apparently due to travel restrictions. Most of the bands indicated this was their first live performance in over a year.

So ... we're back. Or 98% so.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. (Anything is more impressive if you say it in Latin)
ytliek
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ytliek »

Here in Milford, CT the recent decision is to have a live festival in September and bookings are currently taking place.

https://www.facebook.com/milfordirishfestival/

http://www.milfordirish.org/page/21571-Irish-Festival
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

The Pipers Gathering is offering both an in-person (for those fully vaccinated) and a virtual option. www.pipersgathering.org August 20–22.

Registration is now open.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

In Ireland the pressure of the rise of the Delta variant is being felt and the re-opening of hospitality for indoor drinking and dining has been posponed for at least two weeks in order to see how things develop. Last thing we'll need now is a fourth wave and another full lockdown even though it now seems inevitable the delta vairiant will become the dominant strain over the summer. This is not over yet.

I don't think any festivals were being planned to take place here before late summer anyway but we'll have to see what can go ahead. Willie, South Sligo and all of those will be strictly online again this year. Doolin folkfest got a huge grant to plan for september, the Concertina Cruiniú is re-scheduled for September but as it is, they'll have to play it by ear.
My brain hurts

Sedi
Tell us something.: Practice, practice, practice. You're never too old to learn.
Keep on fluting.
---u---o-o-o--o-o-o--
-----------------------

Post by Sedi »

Rudolstadt Festival is happening -- 1st till 4th of July. But I didn't really have it on the radar this year anyway. I only got one vaccination shot yet and the 2nd one is end of July. Till then I feel no need to visit any festivals or other large gatherings.
ecadre
Tell us something.: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post by ecadre »

I got my second injection two weeks ago yesterday, and this weekend's "Folk in a Field" festival (Norfolk) is going ahead with social distancing rules etc. It'll be good to play out with the band again :)
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

It is Willie week. No two ways about it. The regulars will know the feeling, even if it's not officially on. Right now Miltown Malbay is surprisingly busy with people who had that feeling too and arrived anyway. A few of the usual pop up shops, McNeela flogging stuff, that sort of thing. There are no offical events, aside from the online ones, and the pubs can only serve in outdoor areas, These areas are so packed even my son thought it was silly. There are tunes going and I'd love to have a go but I am not chancing it. Had my second dose of AZ on Monday, for what it's worth so my odds against the Delta variant aren't all that great anyway.

Put a new roof on the shed instead, spent the morning on my own mixing concrete and putting on the barges, to get things done before weather arrives. Knackered now.

Murals going up in the town too:

My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

There's going to be a small Irish festival in Long Beach California 14 & 15 August 2021, the first event around here I've heard about.

We shall see if it happens as planned.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

The Feakle festival will be streaming some events online instead of having events 'in the flesh' First week of August see Events, Feakle 2021
My brain hurts

pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Our Long Beach (California) Irish festival has been cancelled.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

I don't think any festivals were being planned to take place here before late summer anyway but we'll have to see what can go ahead. Willie, South Sligo and all of those will be strictly online again this year. Doolin folkfest got a huge grant to plan for september, the Concertina Cruiniú is re-scheduled for September but as it is, they'll have to play it by ear.
As thngs stand: Doolin folkfestival has been put on the long finger for another year (see here).

I have tickets for a concert in September so something is in the pipeline, maybe.
My brain hurts

Jdclar3
Tell us something.: Just starting out using tin whistle. Would love to join the site to find tips and also buy a better whistle.

Post by Jdclar3 »

https://facebook.com/events/s/louisvill ... 892271340/

Louisville, KY is having a small festival end of September with 4 traditional Irish bands playing if anyone is around that neck of the woods.

Also in Kentucky is a Celtic festival and Highland games.
http://www.kyhighlandgames.com/?fbclid= ... uiclCFJF20